MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Remington M81 .35 Remington

Boolit Master

Lightbulb Remington M81 .35 Remington

Was reading a Stephen Hunter novel set in the 1930s, (Hunter is an author who came upon shooting to improve his writing, and adapts his novels to include accurate gun stuff. His main character is GySgt Bob Lee Swagger of Blue Eye, Arkansas, sniper, introduced in the first novel “Point of Impact” in 1993. Start there, if you are new to Hunter. In 11 novels I have only found one thing that I thought would not work). Anyway, decided to get out my M81 yesterday.
    It has a U-notch rear sight and bead front, just as it came from the factory. Thirty years ago these were cheap because they were thought to be clunky and obsolete. They are somewhat a pain to load, because stripper clips for them have vanished into the mists of history. Mine is excellent condition.
    I was shooting at 100 yd at the 100-yd small bore target, holding top of the bead at 6 O’ Clock on the black.
    So, first I tried the 200 gr RCBS 35-200-GC with 27.0 gr N-133, a Vihta-Vouri powder I ended up with an 8 lb keg of. Three shot group of 4”, centered.
    Next, I tried the 250 gr SAECO #352 GC, with 33.5 gr 3031. Three shot group of 1.0”, a 10 and 2 9s.
    Last, I tried the 200 gr Remington jacketed softpoint with 37 gr. AA-2460. Three shot group of 4.8”, a little right of the CBs.
    I’m looking at the target when I pulled it in. All the shots are in the black. If scored, it would score 79/90, 1-X, 1-10, 5-9s, 2-7s. If I were an emotional person I could kiss the rifle.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Although I'd rather have the model 8, the model 81 is also a class act. JMB all the way! You have a treasure there; if a kiss is too much for you, just pat it on the butt a little.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

There's a fella on here who hunted deer with a model 8 or 81 in .35 Remington using cast bullets, I can't remember who it was.

They are cool old rifles and on my bucket list. The legend is that Frank Hamer used a custom Model 8 to kill Bonnie and Clyde, but there is quite a bit of evidence against it. I'm also told Kalashnikov copied the model 8 safety when he designed the AK-47.

Boolit Master
    I like the post, have read everything Hunter has written, you can tell he is a shooter and knows his business.

Boolit Buddy
    Had several in the 70’s. 300 Savage and a 35 Remington. The 35 R was built in 1942, very well preserved at the time. Always liked the takedown feature. Been trying to pick another one up lately. Bid on a 32 Remington 81, a couple of weeks ago. Sold for the price of a 35 R. Just have to settle with shooting a Model 141 in 35 R. It likes the 200 grain RCBS.

Boolit Master
    A local gun store has a M81 in 300 Savage for close to $1000, which seems overpriced. But it is in great shape. I have a 35 Rem so I wasn't tempted.

I want a model 8 in .32 Remington Rimless. I’ve had three m81s, two were .300 Savage and one was a .308- rechambered .300. ( it worked fine with rn bullets). All three kicked like mules from the bench but were great offhand. There is a great website for both models online.

Boolit Master
    I have used what I think are 03A3 stripper clips to load my Model 8,em. 35 Rem. Have had no problems.

My first deer rifle was #8 in 35Rem. I shoot 200gr RN in mine. When I was a kid 200gr Rem factory. I still have one and a couple 81s. I have shoot a lot of deer with 35s. I like the 8 & 81 but like 14 & 141 better. I have them in 35 too. The 141 is my favorite and what I carry most. I've had 25,30 & 32s but never hunted one a shot very little. Only like the 35 & 300savage.

Boolit Master
    I just got my latest full size Dillon Blue Press in the mail today and there's a good article with nice pix about the Models 8 and 81. GF

I have an 81 in .35. However it is not an accurate rifle; copper jacket, paper jacket or bare lead. It is a neat bit of clockwork though from 1906. The take-down design makes for a compact traveling package too.