Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 Winchester with super light cast bullets

Boolit Bub

308 Winchester with super light cast bullets

So, at the fun show today, I found a single cavity "30 cal 75 gr" mould for $20 made by lyman.

Looks like it was made for the 32 ACP or something. Cast up a bunch of them today out of linotype and they came out to 76 grains and a diameter of .315.

I want to shoot them out of my 308 bolt gun probably using unique or bullseye.

Anyone done this before? Charge to start with maybe?

Should work if it sizes down OK.
    It is a mold for .32 pistol. That data might be a good starting point.

With that big of a case you might also check into using a case filler.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    2.8 gr BE no filler
    USMC 6638

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    2.8 gr BE no filler
    Will that get it out of the barrel? Seems very low?

Boolit Grand Master

I have always used the Lyman #311359 or Lee C309-113-F both are nominal 115 grain gas checked boolits .
    308 Winchester , Lyman #311359 or Lee C309-113-F :

12.0 grains of Unique @ approx. 1830 fps is my pet accuracy load . No filler is required .

10.5 grains of Red Dot @ approx. 1625 fps is another good load . No filler .

I have never tried the Lyman #311252 PB 75 grain RN boolit but the above charges slightly reduced by say 10% should give you good a starting point.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boman250 View Post
    It should. That is a start point.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, use 2.8 gr Bullseye to start and work up to about 3.5 gr. Not max psi just max about where accuracy will go south.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    So, I started with 10 gr of unique on the advice of another forum. Accuracy was pretty good. Velocity was 1960 fps. I got some leading.

I tried lower charges. 8, 7, and 6 grains. Accuracy went down and velocity at 6 grains was 1415 fps. I was getting unburnt powder as well.

I worked back up to 9.5 grains and accuracy improved. I will continue to test up to 10 grains again and see if a little deeper seating depth will help.

Boolit Grand Master
    Used the load Larry Gibson mentions above with the 311252 mold. Worked well in my '06

Boolit Grand Master

So, I started with 10 gr of unique on the advice of another forum. Accuracy was pretty good. Velocity was 1960 fps. I got some leading.

I tried lower charges. 8, 7, and 6 grains. Accuracy went down and velocity at 6 grains was 1415 fps. I was getting unburnt powder as well.

I worked back up to 9.5 grains and accuracy improved. I will continue to test up to 10 grains again and see if a little deeper seating depth will help.
    The light plain based boolit is going to add to your difficulties , just about the time you get the pressure and velocity right the leading starts and the accuracy is not great .
    Maybe try a harder alloy . If push comes to shove a gas check sure makes load development a bit easier . The two gas checkd boolits I have used Lyman #311359 and Lee C309-113-F worked like a Voo Doo magic charm , cast of COWW-lead 50/50 or straight COWW . All air cooled .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I've gone that low with 155 gr Lee bullet in the bigger 30-06 it will clear of a 24" barrel . 2.5 grs was stuck two inch from the muzzle
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The light plain based boolit is going to add to your difficulties , just about the time you get the pressure and velocity right the leading starts and the accuracy is not great .
    Maybe try a harder alloy . If push comes to shove a gas check sure makes load development a bit easier . The two gas checkd boolits I have used Lyman #311359 and Lee C309-113-F worked like a Voo Doo magic charm , cast of COWW-lead 50/50 or straight COWW . All air cooled .
    Gary
    I would prefer not to have to deal with plain base gas checks with this bullet. I don't want to push it.

Also, I cast these out of pure linotype. I don't have any harder alloy.

I thought about casting with some softer alloy and dropping the charge down to around 7 or 7.5 to see if I get another node.

Unique likes a fair amount of pressure to burn completely. A faster powder will probably do better for you; Bullseye, Red Dot, 700x etc.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Bub
    I may try bullseye some day. Right now, 9.6gr unique is working pretty good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lighter powder charges with suitable powders will derive all the worth a lightweight bullet has. High velocities with plainbase leave accuracy on the table. Around 1050 fps is preferred. Anything much over 1400 fps is excessive, leads and is less accurate. Driving a lightweight bullet fast and sacrificing accuracy does not make a good trade off.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...utter-in-a-308
    Last edited by 35remington; 09-10-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would also suggest you are better off with Bullseye and around a 3-3.5 grain charge will net you a velocity that is desirable from the standpoint of utility and accuracy. I will pretty much guarantee such a load will outshoot whatever you have tried to this point.

Boolit Bub
    Ok, bullseye seems to be the consensus here.

When I get a few minutes, I will try out some bullseye loads.

I also ordered a .312" sizing die to get these things down to a reasonable size so I am not splitting brass necks on the second firing. That should get me able to shoot these in the 308 and the 7.62x39.

Subsonic would be nice.

Super Moderator

Yes, Bullseye is definitely the powder of choice. I have been using the Lee TL314-90 (sized to .311) in both the 308W and 30-06. 3.2 gr of Bullseye is dandy in both of them, producing excellent accuracy out to at least 50 yards. I use the same boolit and load in the Mosin Nagant but sized to .314. I also use it in the 30-30 at 2.7 grains. I very sparingly lube them with LLA. All of these loads were at the recommendation of Larry Gibson, thanks Larry! These loads are a barrel of fun.

Boolit Bub
    So, tried out bullseye finally.

3.3 gr gave me just under 1100 FPS. Accuracy was ok. Nothing to write home about.

I was shooting pure linotype bullets. Very hard. So, I cast up some 12-13 bhn bullets yesterday and will get those going and see if accuracy improves.

For plinker loads I used to shoot round ball out of a 308. This was years ago, and for the life of me, I can't remember the load. Just fun to whack cans with. That 308 is long gone. I should try it in the current 308.

Problem is, the 32 muzzleloader revolver is long gone also, along with the 32 cal. balls.
    Last edited by 15meter; 09-25-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast