RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Caldwell Ballistic Precision LR 1 Mile Target Camera

Banned

Caldwell Ballistic Precision LR 1 Mile Target Camera

Picked one up from Midway at the $250 sale price, $267 w/shipping. The system comprises a 720P security camera with a flexible clamp arm (for attaching to the supplied TX tripod), that plugs into a wifi TX, a pair of tripods and wall wart 12v chargers for the TX and RX. After charging both the TX and RX, the camera's video and power cables are plugged into the TX. I loaded the free target camera app into my Android cellphone, took a walk with the target camera case (a nice one, too). I wanted to see just how far my cellphone alone would pickup the wifi signal from the camera TX, and it worked perfectly to 367 yards, line of sight, the most distance I could find at the time. Here's a pic I had the target camera snap at that distance ...

While at that distance, I turned off the target cam app and wifi, set up the RX, turned it on and aimed it in the direction of the TX, restarted wifi and instantly picked up the target camera image. While I've heard of multiple folks using this target camera system out to 1000 yards, I can only test out to 700 or 800 yards (maybe next week).

The Good - It works very well (so far), it's cheap. The TX and RX are on tripods that can help with rolling ranges and interference. The camera is separate from the TX, unlike other systems where the camera and TX are in the same box - hit the box and kill both.

The Maybe Not So Good - (1) Putting together the system, I couldn't figure out why the RX tripod wouldn't screw into the RX. Answer: someone forgot to tap threads into the TX mount bushing. A call to Caldwell, a return shipping label sent, and 5 days later a new RX. (2) The camera clamp itself is not nearly robust and will fail, as mine did - busted right at the hinge. Truthfully, a camera tripod does work lots better. (3) The tripods are cheap and flexible, but serviceable and not to be trusted in some goodly wind. (4) A ground stake is provided for each tripod to care for wind conditions. Not near enuf in a good wind, better to sand bag or triple stake each tripod.

Wish List - (1) The target camera app is pretty dumb. It can take snap shots as needed, even video (but why?) and allows for sizing bullet groups (again, why?) but it does not do the most important task - show the last bullet strike (blinking). My fix for this is to take an image of each shot (I number each one as image notation is provided) for later review. (2) The 720P resolution is OK, but it would be much better if it was 1080P. I know of one person who retrofitted a 1080P security camera for about $44, so it's doable.

Bottom Line - All in all, at the base sale $250 price point, this target camera system was worth it for me, so far - and *SO* much better than any scope. As with all of these camera systems, and like skylight chronos, we don't wanna shoot them! With the camera in front and off to one side of the target, perhaps a large and angled AR500 plate will help. These security cameras aren't all that expensive, however. I think target cameras are THE way to go for situations where distance and gun scopes can't spot the shots well, or not at all. No mirage or other optical or weather related issues to contend with using spotting scopes, too.

Last edited by rfd; 09-03-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Boolit Master

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the write up. When it comes time I am definetly going some type of camera route for the various distances. Good luck

Boolit Man
    Nice review. Looks like a neat system.

Banned

please make no mistake - this is as bare bones a system at the current cheapest sale price tag as one can find right now, today. it will get the basic job done of spotting tiny holes in paper or splatters on steel plates at truly long distances. there are far better target camera systems, with far better app software, but they do come with a much higher price tag. one must weigh all the good and not-so-good of using any target camera versus using a spotting scope, based on the needs of tasks at hand. another consideration is if your local range(s) allow target cameras. some flat out will not.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing your experiences & input!

It is out of my limit for spending currently, but it is nice to know that some one took the time to share what they have purchased & discovered about a product then shared their findings so far & did so to help others!

I will look forward to your sharing more info as you get more time to use the system!

Maybe some time in the future, I can get one as well. Until then, I will have to read & look at what you share here.

Thanks!

ETA: I have Caldwell Precision Premium Chronograph kit & I had some difficulty when I first got it & When I called them they were OUTSTANDING in helping with answering my questions. I just wanted to share that so if anyone buys one of their products, they know that the folks at Caldwell have been extremely helpful in the past to at least ,"me", and they are not a company that gives the "run a round" to the ones who buy & use their products.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

consider that a barely decent spotting scope that will usually, but not always, see .45 holes in a paper target at 200 yards and will cost at least $200. it will be near impossible to see those same paper target holes at 300 yards. and i said .45 holes - .22 holes will be near impossible to register at 200 yards. an efficient HD scope that will see .45 paper holes at 300 to maybe 400 yards will cost a small fortune.

what i've had to do is build poster size "shoot 'n' see" targets using a neon green 22" x 28" size, with 2" cheap clear tape laid down on one side and then spray painted with flat black krylon. this allows seeing .45 holes at 300 yards with a spotting scope, and a snap to view at 200 yards.

with any decent target camera, seeing .22 holes at 700 yards is too easy. been there, done that. there is no comparison to a spotting scope.

decide yer needs, spend wisely.

Banned

as to chronographs, two weeks ago i killed my 3rd or 4th chrono. shot straight through its circuit screen heart. DOA.

i just bought the magneto-speed sporter that i should have bought years ago and saved hundreds.

"penny wise and pound foolish".

Banned

After using the Caldwell Target Camera 1 Mile System a number of times at distances to over 400 yards, here's my review.

For the Midway sale price + shipping, you get a camera system that works extremely well for its intended purpose - getting a clear, large image on your cellphone or tablet of a target face at distances that would strain even the best spotting scope. Using just the transmitter (TX) and not the receiver (RX) it allowed perfect target images at 448 yards on my cellphone. The images are bright, clear and in focus. It's rated to a mile, which I have doubts about, but I do know it will easily do 1000 yards by using the supplied RX.

OK, what's not to like? The camera app software is VERY basic and will not blink the last shot fired result. You've got to keep track of bullet holes in target faces. It does allow taking a continuous video, but I suspect that might be a burden on the TX/camera battery. The way around that is to use the app to take an image of each shot, then review the image sequence to look for target face holes.

Here's a link to a target face I shot at 200 yards with a Sharps .45-70, iron sights, using paper patched bullets, real black powder (Swiss), shooting off cross sticks and sitting. It's an animated GIF compile of each shot taken, 20 in all. Starline brass, 78 grains of Swiss 1-1/2f, a single .060" LDPE wad, 1/32" powder/wad compression, 9# Fidelity dry paper patching on all 16:1 alloy cast slicks. The first 10 rounds are up in the face and target backing with 403 grain slicks, the next 10 rounds are all in the center black (the moving "hole" is a fly on the target face!) using 523 grain slicks (adjust your screen view to better see the center black holes) ...

http://www.bpgang.com/media/caldwell.gif

Holes in black targets are a little hard to see because the target camera needs to be angled well off the target, but you can see them in the animated GIF image. The camera is 720P but it would be better if it was 1080P (it should not be hard to find and adapt one for under $50, but this is NOT required). I ran the camera system for well over four hours and no battery issues.

A good feature of the Caldwell system is that the TX and RX have supplied tripods. This is something that's needed if your range isn't flat land and the camera needs to be elevated for line of sight, or if you're dealing with a target pit. Here's my TX and camera setup at my club range 200/300 yard target pit. This is the beginning of the pit which extends for a total of 30 elevated targets. Notice the ladder, it's there to escape the pit if a black bear enters the other open pit end (and yes it's happened!) ...

For the Midway sale price, this camera system is well worth buying. Heck, I'd buy another. PS - I guess I did!

Added: The Midway price has now dropped to $244.42
    Last edited by rfd; 09-15-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Banned

Midway price on the Caldwell 1 mile target camera now $204 ......