MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Uberti 1858 revolving carbine?

Boolit Buddy

Opinions on the Uberti 1858 revolving carbine?

It looks cool to me. How does it shoot?
    thanks

https://www.impactguns.com/black-pow...412009-341200/
    Last edited by Handshaker; 09-01-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I purchased a new one off of GB last winter but haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet - too many things going on this summer. Mine looks good - good fit and finish - what you'd expect from Uberti. The main thing on them is to keep your fingers/hand behind the front of the cylinder and that is why the trigger guard has a spur on it - to support it with your other hand. I had wanted one since they became available in the 60s as they are "different". Not a true copy but close enough to the revolving carbines/rifles that Remington made and sold in limited quantities. They are supposed to shoot accurately with RB or Conical - I bough a Eras Gone mold for the Johnson and Dow pattern conical to use in it. I also purchased a conversion cylinder for 45 Colt from Taylors for it. The conversion cylinder fits like a glove - now to find the time to shoot it!

I shopped around and could't find a good used one so bought one off of GB - I believe Wholesale Hunter or something like that as they had a decent price on them. When it arrived, it was NIB and marked with a production date of 2014. Just one of those things in mu "bucket list" that I decided to do while I could still enjoy it. Google "Shooting Remington Revolving Carbine Video" - you should come up with some good videos of them in action.

Good luck and have fun!

EDIT: Just looked at your link - that's a decent price for one.

I have more work to do with mine , but I am getting some decent accuracy with 25 gr FFF goes a a couple secretly box wads and a .457 RB

Boolit Buddy
    I have admired these for a while now, but previously wasnt into BP, now i am. What size conical bullet mold would be best for this? I can buy one online for 462 delivered.

Boolit Master
    Uberti chambers run .450” for their pistols so I’d assume it’s the same, but the barrels I’m not sure of. Might be different.

Regardless there’s not much point going but .001-2” over chamber with a bullet/conical.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a couple and sold them both. They were good enough shooters but unhandy to hold as your lead hand has to be behind the cylinder. In addition if there is any leakage around the cap it is right in your face. All in all a nice curiosity but I soon saw why Remington sold so few of the originals. About like the 30 carbine too big for rabbits and too small for deer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I had a couple and sold them both. They were good enough shooters but unhandy to hold as your lead hand has to be behind the cylinder. In addition if there is any leakage around the cap it is right in your face. All in all a nice curiosity but I soon saw why Remington sold so few of the originals. About like the 30 carbine too big for rabbits and too small for deer.
    Thanks for the info, i was thought that might be an issue. On the 1858 revolver, i was just hoping i could use the lee .452 long colt mold i have coming for the conversion cylinder on my Ruger old army, it looks like i will be able to.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    A fellow on another forum has one and has hunted with it. It’s fine for deer (and not the smaller ones you find in some parts of the country) out to about 50 yds where the accuracy falls off. Like me he uses energetic powders and custom bullets with a wide meplat.

My Pietta NMA likes a weighed charge of 33 grns 3F Olde Eynsford pushing my 170 and 195 grn WFN, and judging by a few similar loads posted my load is likely akin to a standard .45 ACP load producing 350-425 ft/lbs. Run that through a longer barrel and it will boost it just a little bit more.

Even a ball from a handgun using an energetic powder at 25 yds is doing roughly what a patched ball from a rifle is doing at 100-125 yds, and we know those are effective.

Boolit Bub
    They're great fun. I cast the Lee .452 and use a R&D 45 colt cylinder in mine. Always get comments at the range on it. Honestly, I shoot it better than my 1860 Henry repro in the same caliber. The henry has like a 12moa front sight so getting the groups down at 100 yards can be a challenge. The revolving carbines' sights are much better in that regard. I don't find the hold on the carbine too awkward and can get regular hits on an eight inch steel at 100 yards. Just remember if you're casting those in place of conicals, pure lead is a must. I would even recommend a cylinder loading stand with pure lead bullets as the remingtons' loading levers aren't the strongest.

Interesting! I have, as well, desired getting one of these revolving carbines. Should be a hoot I would think. It is on the list.

Thanks for beginning this post! I will watch and read with interest.

Too bad they weren't made in smaller caliber just for hunting.
    Somebody is bound to have considered it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    I’ve often wondered how cool it would be to have a small caliber revolving carbine in a small caliber for rabbits and such. Those little NAA pistols or a .31 cal.

You would for sure want to wear ear and eye protection.

Thinkin the NAVY cylinder and barrel could be installed ... maybe! Betcha that WOULD be a fun shootin carbine. And a Rabbit gettin hummer to boot ... prolly tree rats and grouse too.

I really like mine. It accurate out to 150 yards.

A Navy cylinder oh golly gosh yes.
    You could have a replacement barrel with whatever twist you wanted.
    Or would a 38-55 liner work?

Boolit Man
    At some point, Uberti must have made some Navy [.38nom] caliber ones, because I saw the barrels & cylinders listed as parts at some point [long ago. Numrich maybe?] but they probably never came stateside as being "not historically correct" or something. Maybe someone in Yurp can tell us if they have them over there in Navy config?

Holding with both hands behind the front of the cylinder is a non-issue if an archery forearm guard is worn on the non-trigger arm (or just wear a long sleeved heavy shirt).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Holding with both hands behind the front of the cylinder is a non-issue if an archery forearm guard is worn on the non-trigger arm (or just wear a long sleeved heavy shirt).

Archery forearm guard isn't going to do you much good if you suffer a chain fire and the cylinder sends a spare ball into your wrist. Using the carbine w/ one of the conversion cylinders would avoid that eventuality, but you'd still want to wear something fairly fire resistant as a sleeve for the hot gas coming out of the cylinder gap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Surculus View Post
    Archery forearm guard isn't going to do you much good if you suffer a chain fire and the cylinder sends a spare ball into your wrist. Using the carbine w/ one of the conversion cylinders would avoid that eventuality, but you'd still want to wear something fairly fire resistant as a sleeve for the hot gas coming out of the cylinder gap.
    Actually some testing was done with 30 grns of powder and a ball with no barrel on a Colt model and it produced something like 7 ft/lbs of energy. It’s unlikely to break the skin but might just leave a bruise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast