MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Persian Mauser!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Persian Mauser!!!

Picked up what I believe is a Persian Mauser, today. Has NA Co. on the left side and Cal 8mm Turkey on the right side of the receiver. 29" or so barrel.

Cleaning out cosmoline in the bolt and trying to clean out the bore. Bit rough and fine pitting, but not horrible. Scrubbing the bore, patches come out black and the borefoam is black also, so far. Bought it to shoot Romanian 8mm (corrosive), but might have to try cast. Any ideas on how to clean the bore and also would it evern be a candidate for cast. Would lapping it be a good idea? Have JB and a sapphire lapping compound. Any suggestions?

Is it a Persian Mauser? Bought it 'cause I prefer longer barreled rifles. Paid just under two bills for it/ with bayonette, although sheath is pinned to the bayonette. Did I do good?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Whats marked on the reciever ring? Is it the Persian Lion Crest? Is the rear sight ladder marked in Farsi (kind of like squiggles instead of numbers)? Here's a link to Samco where you can see some small pics of Persian markings.

http://www.samcoglobal.com/98-29.html

Boolit Grand Master
    It has the BRNO markings on it. May just just be a long barrel mauser made for Turkey, for all I know of them!

No Farsi anywhere that I can see.

Boolit Buddy

Sounds like a 98/22.. Persians are 98/29. I have a 98/22 & she is a great shooter.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Master
    stainless steel brush and navel jelly....
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Mike, doesn't navel jelly remove blueing?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzLeeBear View Post
    Mike, doesn't navel jelly remove blueing?
    In a heartbeat.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    Naval Jelly will eat aluminum, too--nice touch if you want, say, a bright, pitted grip frame on a Ruger Blackhawk; I didn't, but I own one anyway.

This brings up another ???

I have a Turk that is a small ring, cock on closing.

It's in 8X57 cal and I assumed (I Know what that makes me) it was a 93 action, chambered for the 8X57.

what the heck did I buy??

Barrel is 28 1/4 " to front of receiver ring.

receiver marks as T*C over
    cresent moon ( forks up)
    AS.FA
    Ankara

SN 179XX

Straight bolt

Sight marked in roman #'s 3 to 21

(BTW I need a front sight, this one has a very small dove tail)

I shoots my load of 186 gr bullet ( I'm sorry it's a j-word) over a healthy dose of IMR 4064.

I thought all Turks after 1921 were 98 series but not this one.

I guess I can't go too far wrong, got it Years ago for $49 at a gun show, w/o bottom metal (I had some spare, in the junk box).

OK y'all, what the Sam Hill is this??
    Last edited by twotrees; 11-07-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Duhhhh........
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

M93 Turk

The 8x57 Mauser generates too much pressure for the 1893 action. It will eventually stretch the action and cause excessive headspace, causing a dangerous condition. I would use loads under 45,000psi.

The 1893 rifles were originally chambered for 7.65x54mm Mauser ammo. The 7.65mm generates less pressure than the 8mm.
    Doug Bowser
    Shooter of anything that has a trigger and shoots lead
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    NRA Instructor in pistol, rifle shotgun and Personal Protection
    NRA-USAS National Coach Development Staff
    NRA-USAS Level 2 International Pistol Coach
    President Mississippi NRA Association

Boolit Master
    What you got is a 93 turkish mauser that was rebarreled in the 30s to the new service cartrige of 8X57. The original caliber was 7.65X54 Mauser.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I wouldn't worry about full power loads in a 93 Mauser as much as say, in a Gew. 88. But I wouldn't make a habit of it either- not when mine shoots 8mm cast so nicely.

Twotrees, nick has it right. Go here http://www.turkmauser.com/models.aspx for some good info on Turk mausers. Look under 1893. What you have is one that was converted to 8mm at the Ankara arsenal. I have read that these actions were re-heat treated when they made the conversion, but don't know that for sure.

Boolit Master

You can use GM top end cleaner to help remove the carbon deposits followed by something to get the metal fouling out and repeat till clean.

Even if youdon't use the MEK based prodcut you may want to alternate between a carbon remover and a mealt foulign remover.

You may also want to try the wipeout product. I have been trying to get a hold of a can local to try to clean a 98/22. I spent what seems like a zillion hours trying to clean this thing and it always has more to give up.

Boolit Master

98/22 Brno Czech Mauser

Bought one about 6 years ago. Pristine barrel but lousy sights. Good shooter with cast but too long and ugy to carry around in the field. I opted to rebarell into 6.5 x 55 MM and a new laminated stock.

Spent a lot of money but the results are worth it. This thing is a beautiful piece of wood and metal. I plan to shoot the crap out of it as soon as I can get some brass.

That 98/22 was a decent piece and saw a lot of action in small skirmishes around the world in 3rd rate countries. It was one of these which shot down an american chopper in Iraq at the hands of the insurgents.

With old turkish mil surp corrosive ammo (1949) the thing kicks like a mule and heats up real quick. Some of the ammo had split necks so I pulled down a bunch. The cases were full to the bottom of the boolit with a black square flat powder. It chonoed at over 3100 fps. Kinda hot!

Dumping out about 1/2 the powder and using cut down 30-06 cases (ran through 8 mm dies) with the original j words I got 1800 fps while enjoying reduced report and recoil.

The next load was 12 grs of Red Dot with a cast boolit and I was a happy camper. Negliglible recoil and sounds like a .22 on steroids. Accurate out to 250 yds but ya hafta elevate the rear sights some. With mil surp ammo at 100 yds you will be shooting about a foot high.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    rockrat, I had a persian back in the 50s and it had a straight barrel, no steps, and I believe a small ring, standard length. persian sun lion crest. flounderman

Boolit Master
    twotrees, do you still need a front sight. I have some turk barrels around and I will send you a sight if you still need it. send me an address. I need a floorplate for a 1917 enfield or pattern 14. flounderman

In Remembrance

Parts

Try Springfield Sporters for those Enfield parts. I just got off their site, they have both. Robert

Sounds like you need to run an electrolysis cleaner through that gun. They are easy to make and it would give you a much better idea of what is going on in your barrel. I have one of the old Turkish Mausers for a wall hanger... got it when we could buy them for $29.00 + shipping. Look at these articles for making a electrolysis cleaner... the one on cleaning coins will work as well as the battery one and in a way is more convenient , but needs to be modified to work on guns ... hybrid of the two methods.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

http://www.mycoincollecting.com/coll...ctrolysis.html
    God bless America

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bowser View Post
    The 8x57 Mauser generates too much pressure for the 1893 action. It will eventually stretch the action and cause excessive headspace, causing a dangerous condition. I would use loads under 45,000psi.

The 1893 rifles were originally chambered for 7.65x54mm Mauser ammo. The 7.65mm generates less pressure than the 8mm.
    Here we go again.......