MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: M95 in 30-40 or 7.62x54

Boolit Mold

M95 in 30-40 or 7.62x54

Hey guys, i've looked through the previous posts regarding caliber conversions for the M95 and have a question or two.

For those that have converted to 7.62x54, is the increase in operating pressure a worry? I can find no evidence of a M95 blowing up, but I am aware that the 8x56R lives at pressures much less than the russian cartridge. If one were to exclusively reload for this converted rifle, that'd be fine, but what about when your decendents inherit the rifle, they pick up some surplus ammo to run through it.... recipe for disaster?

for the 30-40 crowd, has anyone used a take-off barrel from a Rem 700 or a Win 70? I know the 03-A3 has enough meat, but they're kinda hard to find, and the Enfield 14/17 also have enough meat. but would a barrel blank be a better choice, shank size wise? i don't want to get the barrel too thin over the throat of the cartridge.

is either of these rounds a better match for the M95? i've tried a dummy 30-40 in the bolt, and it seems fit ok, not too sloppy. is the 7.62 tight at all? i know the rim diameter is a bit larger...

Thanks for any help you can provide. I've played around a lot with mausers and standard cartridges ('06, 6mm, .35 whelen, etc.) but am excited about this little rifle!

heath

In Remebrance

Both were original cartridges for the 95. I'd go 30-40 myself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Both were original cartridges for the 95. ....
    Bret,
    I believe heath was talking about the M95 Hungarian, not the M95 Winchester.

Jack

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    I've rebarreled a few of them to 30-40 and they work well but you sometimes have to fiddle with the clips a bit. This is due to the difference in the diameter of the case body. The original cartridge body is fatter. I have talked to a few guys who have converted them to the Russian round and they say it works better due to the fatter case requiring less, or no, tinkering with the clips. Properly bedded and with good sights they really shoot well. You usually have to fool with the bolt head and extractor to keep the bolt head locked open while cycling the action also. It will work a lot smoother without that drag. This is due to age/wear. They really are nice old actions. I've always thought they would be really slick if fitted with a box magazine of some sort.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master

Mind reading , anyone?

Once again.
    Do you know how many entirely different M95's there are? Please!
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    Bret,
    I believe heath was talking about the M95 Hungarian, not the M95 Winchester.

Jack
    Whoops! My bad.

Boolit Mold
    My appologies guys... yes STEYR M95. I bought 100 pieces of brass for the 30-40, so i guess that's the direction i am going! =). there was a bit of 7.62x54 stuff there, but it was more expensive than the 30-40, and i don't need a gun that replicates a 30-06. the 30-40 loaded at moderate velocities will be great! there was only 5 m95 clips in the whole place, and i bought two of the best. two others were loaded, and i don't need the 8x56R, so i passed. no Lyman 57 SME's either... bummer. Saw 3 steyr's, one of which was sporterized. nice gun, got a couple ideas off it.

Boolit Mold

Rebarreling Steyr 1895 straight pull

Gents, I recently completed this conversion from the 8mm steyr to 7.62x54 R
    Completely straight foreward. I used a new 03-a3 bbl from SARCO ($150)
    and cut the chamber with a JGS 7.62 reamer with a modified leade and throat.
    The stock 7.62 reamer has a 1/2 degree leade starting at the case mouth.
    NO throat. I had jGS grind a groove dia throat, with a 1 1/2 degree leade
    Easy rechamber.
    Rifle feeds and shoots perfectly without pressure signs. Yes I know the bbl is .308
    NOT .311. No matter, it shoots around 1 inch at 100 yds.
    Recoil on the carbine is stout, so i fitted a muzzle brake for comfort.

This is an easy conversion.

Just FYI, I also had JGS do a reamer for me which I named .308x54R It is similar
    to the other reamer but the throat and leade are for .308 dia NOT .311
    If you are going to use a .308 bbl, and .308 bullets (because of selection)
    this is the way to go.
    Turns out , std 7.62x54R sizing dies reduce the neck below .308 diameter.
    So, just use a standard .308 neck expander instead of .311, and there are
    your 'wildcat' .308x54R reloading dies.

I use Norma, Lapua, and Winchester brass.

Remington 700 PSS bbls on Mosin Nagant M44 receivers will easily hold 3/8ths
    to 1/2 at 100yds, with a 9 power scope, new main spring,
    and lightened cocking piece.
    The ATI stock provides good neutral bedding.

But I'm a military rifle weenie.......

A few other M-N projects....Reduced striker fall (speedlock) and Timney style
    trigger. I have designed the trigger, and built a couple of prototypes.
    Results are promising, with crisp pulls in the 1.5 to 4.5 pound area.
    Still trying solve the ' thumb-safety/bolt-release-in-one-lever issue.'

Regards to all

Reboundspring

Quote Originally Posted by 724wd View Post
    Hey guys, i've looked through the previous posts regarding caliber conversions for the M95 and have a question or two.

For those that have converted to 7.62x54, is the increase in operating pressure a worry? I can find no evidence of a M95 blowing up, but I am aware that the 8x56R lives at pressures much less than the russian cartridge. If one were to exclusively reload for this converted rifle, that'd be fine, but what about when your decendents inherit the rifle, they pick up some surplus ammo to run through it.... recipe for disaster?

for the 30-40 crowd, has anyone used a take-off barrel from a Rem 700 or a Win 70? I know the 03-A3 has enough meat, but they're kinda hard to find, and the Enfield 14/17 also have enough meat. but would a barrel blank be a better choice, shank size wise? i don't want to get the barrel too thin over the throat of the cartridge.

is either of these rounds a better match for the M95? i've tried a dummy 30-40 in the bolt, and it seems fit ok, not too sloppy. is the 7.62 tight at all? i know the rim diameter is a bit larger...

Thanks for any help you can provide. I've played around a lot with mausers and standard cartridges ('06, 6mm, .35 whelen, etc.) but am excited about this little rifle!

heath

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to know if there is anyone in the USA who will reline a bore-worn M95 into a 7.62X54R. It is technically possible, and similar conversions have been done before. But nobody seems interested in doing the work today.

Sean

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Junkbug, I think that relining a M-95 barrel would be an exercise in futility for a couple of reasons. Not much meat in the original barrel to do it which would make many gunsmiths hesitate from a safety standpoint. Then, the liability thing raises its really ugly head. Far easier to just find a take off barrel that could be cut off and refit, then rechambered. I've rebarreled several of them to 30-40 but think the 7.62x54R would be a better conversion especially with a modified reamer ground for a 30 caliber neck and throat.

Cheers,

Phil

Super Moderator

..................reboundspring, welcome to the board and an excellent post! Very good information and interesting accuracy potential. I did a M95 to 30-40, and it's accuracy proves there is no issue with the Steyr action in that regard. The trigger is a monster however

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Dang, I saw M95 in 7.62x54R and figured that someone had a Model 1895 in that caliber that they wanted to convert... I figured that maybe they needed a new rifle and I needed their "old rifle"; such is life.
    God bless America