RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In .45 Colt--which do you prefer the Lyman 452190 or 452424 and why?

Boolit Master

In .45 Colt--which do you prefer the Lyman 452190 or 452424 and why?

I have tried both....I find that I like the 452424 better because it has a crimping groove. I have never been happy with the crimp on the 454190---and I have used two different seater dies with it. I also have found that the 452424 is more accurate, although not by much. In my Ruger BHK, with the same powder charge, the 454190 always shoots at a higher velocity.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    #452424 is a good bullet and I'd always pick the more accurate choice. No brainer.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have discussed this with others...most have told me they prefer the 454190....... as it just looks better.

Boolit Master

Good bullets!! I prefer the 454424 myself. Its slightly swuater with a bit more meplat.

But must confess not having used the 454190.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    I like crimp grooves: ergo, make mine the 452-424. But if you are a traditionalist, then the 120+ year old 454-190 should get your vote.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    The 454190 requires cases to be the same length. Almost all my .45 Colyt cases are shorter than 1.295" as it is. Remington's always seem to be much shorter. When you crimp some seem to crimp more than others. Then there is brass spring back.... Crimp too deep and you crinkle the case necks---which invariably shortens their life, ie. neck splits. No problem when using the 452424.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried the 424, but had better accuracy with the 454190 than with other SWCs I tried. I'm a traditionalist too, so that's a factor. I use a taper crimp die and haven't found case length to be a critical factor for my use.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It's up to what you like best and what works for you.

Personally, I prefer the 452/454-190 traditional RNFP in my 45 LC Uberti Cattleman. I shoots very accurately over BP, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique and Bulls Eye out of my revolver - to me, I view the 45 Colt (and the 45 Schofield) as "historical cartridges" so like the traditional look better. I've never had any crimping issues with it. I seat and crimp in separate operations - use either the standard dies/press or hand had with my steel 31- tong and dies. But . . everyone has their preferences and it's all about what you like best and what you find more accurate out of your individaual guns.

Boolit Master
    454190 with a lee collet crimp.

Boolit Grand Master

If hunting deer, pigs, etc. I prefer the 454424 because its terminal effect is better given the SWC and larger meplat shape. However, I mostly just plink so the Lee 454-205-RF is what I mostly use. Other than for testing "traditional" 45 Colt loads I never really had much use for the 454190.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry...music to my ears. I had a Lee 205-RF, but it was not very accurate and I got lousy Std Deviations with it. I really wanted it to work for me. Many love the RCBS 270 SAA bullet, probably because it is heavy and works well with any powder/load.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If hunting deer, pigs, etc. I prefer the 454424 because its terminal effect is better given the SWC and larger meplat shape. However, I mostly just plink so the Lee 454-205-RF is what I mostly use. Other than for testing "traditional" 45 Colt loads I never really had much use for the 454190.

Boolit Master
    I tried a TC die that I use with a .45 ACP....it does work better than a roll crimp on that bullet. I will also "admit" that the 454190 is quite accurate. Sadly I don't have a .454" sizer die, so I have to size down to .452"....I have resisted buying the .454" sizer die. However I have pan lubed with it; which worked out quite well. I even have a TP and seating stem for the 454190! I thought it'd be nice to have an open discussion on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I haven't tried the 424, but had better accuracy with the 454190 than with other SWCs I tried. I'm a traditionalist too, so that's a factor. I use a taper crimp die and haven't found case length to be a critical factor for my use.

The old Keith (452424) gets the nod from me. The idea is to hit something, either paper or flesh, with the bullet and for that use the Keith is better. Who cares what it looks like?
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 09-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I agree, but I have shooting buddies that just like the looks of the profile on the 454190....something to do with it being traditional. However they seem not to like a RN bullet in the .38 Special---I believe that is traditional?

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The old Keith (452424) gets the nod from me. The idea is to it something, either paper or flesh, with the bullet and for that use the Keith is better. Who cares what it looks like?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on what Larry said.

Unless you are loading BP in compressed charges which provide base support for the bullet it is absolutely necessary to have a substantial crimp groove. Keith nailed the essential design elements, in having a crimp groove, plus a full-diameter driving band north of the crimp groove to align the cartridge in the chamber throat and also a large meplat 0.6 to 0.7 of bullet diameter to ensure adequate shocking power. Keith also favored bullet weight over velocity and was firm in his opinion that over 1000 fps was unnecessary, but that soft alloys not harder than 1:16 tin-lead were desired.

In his later years when I met with him personally while working at Ruger, he said that looking back, if he were to do it again he would have favored a heavier bullet of 270-280 grains.

Attachment 247670
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Elmer's bullet of course!

Boolit Bub
    Greetings
    I had a neighbor that cast the 452424 boolit for me. I remember that he talked about the crimp groove and it’s impact on firing in my Ruger Black Hawk. We liked to shoot at fireplace logs. Knocked those logs ever which way.
    He was a fine friend and a WW2 “Cannon Cocker”. He died while I was in Nam in 61. His wife gave me the mold which I still have.
    Just an old man rambling on.
    Follow Me

Boolit Master

Well it depends upon the version

My 452424 has round grooves. Elmers where square like my 454424. But a both good SWC designs for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Elmer's bullet of course!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

I'm kind of a new-be re the .45 Colt, a quite-used Vaquero in that caliber shouting "buy me!" a few months ago. Hence, I cast two, and loaded/shot three bullets: Interestingly, both the Lyman's you wrote about, as well as a wad-cutter (which I love -- 'nother story ).
    Frankly, bear in mind I have not shot thousands of either -- However, in my very short test period -- perhaps 150 or so of the '424, and 100 of the '190, I give the 452424 the "edge" as my favourite. I concur that, for me, it is a tad more accurate, albeit the greatest amount of my shooting (thus far) has been from a Hebard Pistol Perch rest at ~ 62 feet. I might add, I think they're BOTH good bullets! I have not, as yet, shot over the chrony with either.
    geo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast