Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabelas has tulas and mosins, what’s the difference?

Boolit Master

Can’t go wrong with a Swiss.

The 7.5 mm Swiss ammo is available now, from Graf & sons, but before that, I made it by running a .284 Winchester case into the sizing die. Didn’t even need trimming. Back in the day, I bought a 1911 rifle, 1911 carbine, and 1911 cadet rifle. The cadet is single-shot, has no magazine cutout in the bottom of the receiver, and curiously has a three-groove barrel. Later on, when the 1931s came in, I bought one, and then another a few years later from Aim Surplus, or one of the mail order outfits. The bores were pristine, the sights great (u-notch and post front) and all of them shoot cast bullets superbly for groups.
    If you can get one you will be happy with it, with admiration for the finely machined and finished mechanism the Swiss turned out. Their straight pull actions work better than any others, IMHO.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master

Around here, a typical refurb MN. will go for about $200-250. That's a round receiver (post 1931) model. Tula arsenal models go for the higher end of that.

The "hex" receiver models (pre-1931) are mostly converted Dragoon rifles, and will command a bit higher price, maybe $250-300, especially if it has a decent bore.

IMO, if the Cabela rifles aren't nasty rusty carp sticks, which most of the current crop are, the price isn't out of line.

Boolit Buddy
    All i can say is I'm glad I bought my Mosin for 90 bucks. The wife or kids might make a buck or two on my old military firearms when I kick the bucket but its kind of hard to call something I will never sell, an investment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    All i can say is I'm glad I bought my Mosin for 90 bucks. The wife or kids might make a buck or two on my old military firearms when I kick the bucket but its kind of hard to call something I will never sell, an investment.
    Would agree that something you're never going to sell is probably not an "investment".
    Generally speaking an investment is something purchased and resold [hopefully] for a profit.

The exception might be something that eventually makes more money than it cost to purchase, maintain and operate.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-04-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12