Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What $79/$89 military surplus bolt action rifle flooded the market around 2000’?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

What $79/$89 military surplus bolt action rifle flooded the market around 2000’?

I remember piles of them for sale at fleet farm in Minnesota but never had any interest. I remember my Pop’s offered to but me one for Christmas that year but I passed on them as I was only interested in modern firearms at the time. It was between 2000’ and 2003’ when I saw these. Were they Yugo’s or mosin’s? I don’t remember. Might have to buy one now for memories.

1938 Turkish Mauser?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    around that time I bought a Yugo 98 with all the trimmings about 125. got a 9130 with all the trimmings for less then 100. the Swedish had taken off. never had a look at the truks.

The Turk Mausers are the only ones I recall selling that cheaply around the year 2000. Mosins were also pretty inexpensive, but the Yugos were always a bit higher to a lot higher, depending on condition. Another great bargain being sold around that time was the Czech VZ-24. That time period was kind of like "the good old days revisited" for a while. Now, I think, never to be seen again.

Boolit Master

IIRC, I got an M38 Turk...a bit cosmetically battered but a decent bore and all matching #s...for $99+tax around that time.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    IIRC, I got an M38 Turk...a bit cosmetically battered but a decent bore and all matching #s...for $99+tax around that time.

Bill
    Usually with the bayonet and a cloth bandoleer of HOT 154gr corrosive steel jacket ammo! Good times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

2000 to 2005 The Dunhams chains were running the Yugos 24-47 and 48 rifles for $80 on Fridays through Mondays only and Swiss 31 rifles for $99 and 91-30 Russians for $80 . I should have bought every one I saw but couldn't quite do that. I did have at one time, 13 of the Swiss rifles and a bunch of the Yugo Mausers. They were a very good investment, every one of them. Now when I go into the Dunhams here and ask about Mausers I get blank looks, except from the manager who dimly remembers old beat up guns of some kind way back when. It has become a kind of recreation for me, to ask a question about old stuff of some young punk, just to see the blank look.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned
    I remember when you could mail order just about any kind of surplus rifle. The 03's were most expensive. Maybe $20.99. A good German Mauser went for the next highest maybe $16 to $18.99. Then the others. Carcano's were $10.99 to $13.99 Enfield's were around $15. Arisaka's were about $10. And on.
    Ah the good old days.

Boolit Master
    That time frame I'd say a Yugo Mauser or MN 91-30, possibly a M-44. It was the tail end of the import influx and everything else that comes to mind was gone by then or more $$.

Boolit Master
    The Spanish Mauser in 7mm and 308 where cheep then also

Boolit Master
    First Swedish Mauser I saw close up was in the 80's when a neighbor brought over a just opened carboard box with a label that identified the rifle inside as a Lee Enfield.
    He had just bought the rifle for 39.99 and asked me what kind of Enfield this was and why .303 ammo wouldn't fit it.
    It was a cherry M96 Swedish Mauser in like new condition.
    Thing is the same store was selling the Swedes for 79.99 at that time.

Mosins, M95 Steyr’s and Argentine 7.65’s were common also and cheap back then. Go back another 10 years and you could get M1 Carbines, P17 & 14 Enfields for around $125.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    That time frame I'd say a Yugo Mauser or MN 91-30, possibly a M-44. It was the tail end of the import influx and everything else that comes to mind was gone by then or more $$.
    Don't recall seeing any sub-$100 M48s around that time; plenty of MNs and M91 Argies but not M48s. On the other hand, according to my inventory list, I did snag a (possibly?) unissued M48 for $140 OTD in early 2005 - other than some scuffing on the heel of the buttplate, not a scratch, wear mark, or ding on metal or wood. Still have it.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 09-01-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

right around that timeframe if I remember right I was buying Mosin's for $89 and spamcans of ammo for $69. Guns were in an LGS and soaked with Cosmoline but were good shooters when you got it off with much sweat and JB Borepaste with much Butches. The Spamcans I got through Shotgun News I think. Still have one or two but the Mosins are long gone
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    The Austrian M95 straightpull 8x56R caliber carbines were under $100 at that time.
    Late 1930's ammo, 2 5-shot packet clips in the original cardboard box sold for $1.50e if you bought a case of them.

The like new Polish M/N carbines were about out of stock with the dealers and starting to climb in prices. But just a few years prior in the mid 90's one of those beautys still in that thick grease, w/ sling, oiler was $69.95.
    I bought 7.62x54R Bulgarian ammo , 2 spam cans in a sealed wooden case for $59.99 at shows. Still have one in the garage I forgot was around.
    M/N 91/30's were pretty much $59 and $69 up untill Russia invaded the Ukraine and that stopped the source of the rifles.
    Turkish Mausers were anywhere from $35 and up. Turk 1941 headstamp 8mm FMJ ammo,, a 70rd bandoleer in Mauser stripper clips was $5 (Five) each bought by the case of 10 bandoleers.
    Corrosive and seems a bit hot, but it shot fine thru the tough Mausers of most any mfg. Lots of the ammo would split the neck upon firing but it was scrap brass only anyway being Berdan primed.

There were some fun deals not that long ago. The Ishy 2A1 Enfields were a bit before then. The 7.62Nato cal LeeEnfields, many like new were around for $70 / $75 from places like Southern Ohio Gun.

Yes I remember the 'old days too. My first Milsurp rifle was a 1893 'Spanish Mauser' made by Lowe/Berlin. 7mm Mauser
    Like new condition, not re-done. All matching of course and with matching bayonet. You had your choice, just pick one out of the wooden crate.
    Cost $15. But that was about 1962 or 3. That was a good chunk of money for a kid at the time.

Remington 7mm FMJ ammo in the white pasteboard 20rd box w/red Remington lable on the one side was 75cents a box.

That was my 'High Powered' woodchuck rifle back then. Took me a bit to figure out where to hold as it shot high as most of them did.

Good Times..

Around here you could get Turk Mausers for $29.95 in ~2001-2002.

And a case of 1440 rounds of prewar Turk (1938) 7.92 Mauser on stripper clips, in bandoleers for $75.

It jump started the shooting careers of a couple of friends.

Boolit Master
    I remember SKS Chinese made carbines going for those prices too.

Boolit Master

Century International Arms. Turks, Yugo mausers. Mosin Nagants.

I have bought all for under 50 bucks couple hundred under 40 bucks all depended on condition. The really great condition ones went 75-100 bucks. This was dealer FFL prices.

The best buy IMHO were the 49 mosins factory refinish like new in wrap at $49.00 each I sold a couple hundred at $99 out of the shop.

Banned

I bought a Turkish mauser at a gun show in 2002 for $40.00 with surplus ammo!

Boolit Master
    Around 05 was when I started with the surplus stuff. The mosin 9130 was 100bucks then the m44was 100-150 depending on condition and if it had laminate stock. Sks was 130-150 depending on how bad the wood was. There were still k98 but we're 300. Ammo was cheap and life was good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast