Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What $79/$89 military surplus bolt action rifle flooded the market around 2000’?

Boolit Master

Turk, Two pallets at 63 cases 1440 each, in bandoleer on 5 round strippers that were brass at $.03 per round. Delivered. Did that twice one for the shop once for my 1919a4 I bought two 8mm barrels for.

Big Booms mucho corrosive. From my pallets I sold the strippers for $.20 each per hundred. Those were the days the early 2000's.

Boolit Master
    Around that time frame I bought a Mosin M-44 that was unissued for about $80. I sold it not long after and bought it back a couple years ago with the bayonet lug sawn off. I got it back fairly cheep but that did hurt the value. That rifle has the nicest bore of any milsurp I have ever owned.

I bought a some Turk 8mm that would lock up the bolt in my M48 Mauser. I ran a couple rounds across the chrony and it was over just over 2900 fps, a little hot I think.

Boolit Grand Master

At one time most of the bolt action surplus rifles were that cheap. Swiss rifles, swede mausers, msoins were 59.95 dealer and MAS were under 90 bucks. They are all gone now. Cabelas has a load of Mosins for like $259 and up for rifles that not that long ago were 99 bucks.

Boolit Master

Yesterday.... 91/30 russian round receivers so-so condition $500 and Swiss 96/11 long rifles one $599 and one $549. and a beat up walnut stocked K31 for about $600. These were at the Saginaw Cabellas here, in case anyone wants to rush out and buy them up. I've already had the pleasure of owning each of these types and left them for someone else to enjoy.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I remember when you could mail order just about any kind of surplus rifle. The 03's were most expensive. Maybe $20.99. A good German Mauser went for the next highest maybe $16 to $18.99. Then the others. Carcano's were $10.99 to $13.99 Enfield's were around $15. Arisaka's were about $10. And on.
    Ah the good old days.
    I too remember those days...........but what we didn't realize is that most of the offerings in the late fifties/early sixties were surplus, and not really good surplus at that. The guns that started coming in during the mid eighties were war reserves.......big difference. In other words, that last batch of arms were intended to be used and were kept in good shape. The various countries decided to dump their reserve arms and gain some warehouse space!

Boolit Master
    I bought several Czech made M98/22 Mausers that were built for the Turks for $50-60 from the distributor about that time. They ranged from pretty decent condition to downright ratty. One that I bought had an absolutely new barrel, another had a beautiful tiger-striped walnut stock. Those two got swapped around - the action with the new barrel went into the tiger-striped stock. A couple of them were professionally sporterized, but I finally sold the tiger stripe rifle.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub
    I remember when you could mail order just about any kind of surplus rifle. The 03's were most expensive. Maybe $20.99. A good German Mauser went for the next highest maybe $16 to $18.99. Then the others. Carcano's were $10.99 to $13.99 Enfield's were around $15. Arisaka's were about $10. And on.
    Ah the good old days.
    I can too! Which means we are both old farts.

Ah the good old days.
    In '58 I was a freshman @ NGC & ordered a Danish Krag with 20 rounds of ammo (military that had original bullets pulled & SPs seated) for $22.50. I wish I had it now.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Ah the good old days.
    I guess deals are still out there. I bought/traded for a Winchester M1917 enfield last fall for $25 cash along with a pair of scope rings I was given, and I polished his trigger and bolt on his new hunting rifle he bought to replace it. It needed an original stock set as it was sporterized. I paid $220 for an original Winchester stock set for it. I sold the sporter stock and Timney trigger out of it for $60 each so I’m into the rifle for $145. I did buy a reproduction sling for $30. He also gave me two Lee enfield sporters. I just have to keep power shopping. I plan on eventually finding someone to trade my restored lee enfield sporter for some kind of all original surplus type rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I too remember those days...........but what we didn't realize is that most of the offerings in the late fifties/early sixties were surplus, and not really good surplus at that. The guns that started coming in during the mid eighties were war reserves.......big difference. In other words, that last batch of arms were intended to be used and were kept in good shape. The various countries decided to dump their reserve arms and gain some warehouse space!
    You are so correct. All the good stuff came in the 80's. I remember nobody wanted 1886 Lebels. They were under $100. Go on Gunbroker and they sell for $1,200 or more!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    You are so correct. All the good stuff came in the 80's. I remember nobody wanted 1886 Lebels. They were under $100. Go on Gunbroker and they sell for $1,200 or more!
    A friend bought a French WW1 carbine, the three round mannlicher clip type mail order for less than 30 bucks.
    I cleaned it up for him and found it had a decent bore. Only minor dusting of surface rust over every thing. Metal finish cleaned up very nice. IIRC it had a fancy engraving on the receiver or possibly on the barrel saying something about Winchester Fluid Steel.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    Yep...people want what they can't have.lol if there was a huge surplus right now I bet they wouldn't sell again. ..look at the mosins piled up a cabelas. We will all be belly aching in 20 years. ..if we are around...when they are going for a grand.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a Carcano carbine for $80 and my brother in law got a K98 Mauser 1915 manufactured date + a 1895 Argentine Calvary Mauser for just over $100 from his brothers shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12