Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $500 For A Remington 721 In 300 H&H. Too Much?

Boolit Grand Master

$500 For A Remington 721 In 300 H&H. Too Much?

Rifle looks to be in very good condition. It's not the plain one but has the Remington pressed checkering. Only thing is the rear sight is gone to mount a scope.

Sound like a good price or pass on this?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    I always consider the model 721 (and 722) to be pre-700 models. Good rifles but nothing exceptional.

The 300 H&H chambering is a bit outside the norm. I'm not sure I would go $500 for that rifle unless I really wanted a bolt gun chambered in 300 H&H. Seems a little high for a what was essentially a basic American rifle from the 1950's.

In Remembrance

If it already has a scope and mounts on then I would get it, other wise I would try to `haggle` the price down a bit.Robert

721 in 300H&H in VG condition is a good deal. Kind of scarce chambering. I would rather have a 721-722 series rifle than a 700. The only weak point is extractor/ejector in this series. The 300H&H was the long range match winner for years. The Win 300mg put it out of business because it could be chambered in standard length action.
    300H&H is 375H&H necked down without a sharp shoulder and requires full length magnum action. The 300Win is a little hotter cartridge too, in factory ammo.

I've had many rifles in this series and still have a 722 in 222 that my uncle bought new in 50s. This rifle has had thousands of rounds through it and has never been repaired. It's VG shape and is still a accurate rifle. I also had a 30/06 for years that had big round count. I had it set up with reciever sight for target and shot loads of GI ball and no problems.

I've always been a pre 64 M70 Win guy but would buy a nice 721 in about any caliber at $500. A 300H&H in a pre 64 Win in VG shape would be $1K plus. Anymore 300H&H is expensive ammo, so it's a hand loaders gun for practical purposes.

Banned
    Remington's post war guns were some of the best examples of engineers finding ways to cut manufacturing costs without cutting quality.

Guns such as the model 721 rifle and 870 shotgun were outstanding designs that cost far less to make than their predecessors but were very serviceable guns. However, those guns are hardly rare. There's nothing super special about them, they are just solid guns that were inexpensive but not "cheap".

After WWII, Remington knew they had to come up with designs that cut manufacturing costs if they wanted to remain competitive. The model 721 is one of those post war designs that was strong and accurate but not too expensive.

Those are guns are excellent values and very serviceable rifles but they aren't $500 rifles. Unless that gun is pristine and I really wanted a model 721 chambered in 300 H&H, I don't think I could go much over $350 for that rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

comes with an old Bushnell ScopeChief 4 in 2.5x8

Go on line and see what 721s are bringing. You aren't going to find many for $350 in VG shape. In fact it's hard to find anything in VG shape for that price. I think you will find they are closer to $500 than $350 and 300H&H will be slightly higher. The 725s bring a little more, especially in magnums. As always it's condition, condition.
    The scope adds very little to a rifles price unless it's a premium brand. Low end scopes are usually left on to help the sale.

Banned

Personally, never been a fan of the 700 and have liked the 721/722s I've worked with better. I've also had an interest in the .300 H&H from a historical perspective, seemed to be better than most of the .30 caliber magnums to me, and should be a better cast bullet platform than the others. I even have a set of dies I got as a hedge against a purchase that didn't happen.

If it was in good shape, I'd buy it.

Boolit Master

I have 2 721 rifles one in 30-06 other in 270 daughter chose the 722 in 300 savage , I mainly use a 700 in 7mm rem. mag. , have a couple , walked into local gun shop the other day , guy was buying a nice 700 in 30-06 I went to rack there was a beautiful 700 in 7mm rem. mag. for just under 400 had to do the paperwork , it is a bdl most of mine are adl , neighbor years ago son used a 721 in 300 h&h nice gun I like them but have the 300 win mag and a 30-338 , I think if you want it that 500 is reasonable .

I've paid more for less many times. I would buy it although I didn't know that pre m700 rifles had impressed checkering. I've had one 721 30-06 and it was plain as paper but it shouldered like a nice shotgun and would put 3 in an inch when I could.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've not owned a 721 in 300H&H but have had M70 win and a couple customs. One on a 98 commercial magnum action and one on a P-17. All were sporter weight and accurate shooters. I've had a scad of 300Win mags, all sporter weights too and some weren't that accurate. I always wanted a heavy barrel target in 300H&H like the old pre 64 m70 Bull Gun. The 300H&H seems to be one of the ideal cartridges that was put out of business by newer hotter offerings. Velocity sells. The 222 & 257Robts suffered similar fates.

Boolit Grand Master

My last 300 H&H was a pre 64 Win I got for $300 off a guy. Still kicking myself for letting that go. Old Wins are out of my price range now so im looking at this

Banned
    Ask yourself how long will it take to earn that $500 and how often will you shoot a 300 H&H ?

Unless you just really want a rifle chambered in 300 H&H; I can't see spending $500 for a model 721.

If you already have the dies and some casings, that may make it a little more attractive.
    I wouldn't add any value for that Bushnell scope but if the rings and bases are good quality- that's a plus.

The 300 H&H is a belted magnum and factory ammunition is very expensive, plus the brass isn't very common. (certainly obtainable but not super common).

That $500 price would need to come down a lot if that was my money.

Boolit Master

BUY IT

Is it a 721B ??
    Thought the 721 had no checkering, the 721 B has cut checkering
    and the 700 A had impressed checkering

Bring it to Amarillo and let us go shooting
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 09-01-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I sold all my Magnum hunting rifles in last 5yrs. Age and bad back decided for me I wouldn't be using them anymore. The biggest rifle I own now is 30/06 not counting LV stuff like 47/70 ect. I do keep all my dies because Murphy's law of sell dies get another rifle next day. I don't need a 300H&H or 375H&H, but if a killer deal on a pre 64 m70 or a top shelf rifle like Brn Safari or older Sako I would buy them just for grins. Sold about 35 rifles and only one I regret selling was 375H&H. I don't have use for it anymore I just liked it. 300H&H was my second favorite and it was a pre 64 m70. I wasn't pristine just VG shape and I got $1500 for it 3 yrs ago.

Banned

I've seen 2 Remington 721's in 300 H&H and both of them were split inside the chamber when I bore-scoped them! Stay away from it unless you're going to re-barrel it!

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Well, I didn't think it was too much. About a year ago I bought a 721 in 300 H&H. I had been looking for one for several years.. Mine was not really worth that much but i wanted it and it is mine. One klick above a basket case but it has been a fun project. And you know how it goes. About a month later a guy offers me a Post 64 model 70, also H&H,in good condition along with a bag with over a hundred cases and loaded ammo for 5 bills. So, now I have two!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I've seen 2 Remington 721's in 300 H&H and both of them were split inside the chamber when I bore-scoped them! Stay away from it unless you're going to re-barrel it!
    WHAT?!..... describe what you saw a little more please.

Banned

The chamber of each rifle had a split near the base about 3/4 of an inch long!

Boolit Master
    Regarding valuation, it may be worth considering what the dollar is worth now versus when the gun was first produced. For example, Remington 721 was about $90 dollars new. You could pay in silver coins. “Junk silver” coins now are selling for $13.40 per dollar face value, making that $90 then $1210 now. Just saying.
    The gun is worth what someone will pay for it. I paid $390 for a M722 .300 Savage 7 years ago, with Lyman sight.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast