Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Rusty mold

Boolit Buddy

Rusty mold

I recently loaned a steel lyman mold out. It was returned and I didn't look at it for a couple of weeks. I was going to cast a few for the hornet yesterday and I opened the box and the mold is covered with rust inside and out. I soaked with kroil overnight and I am going to see if I can clean it up. Does anyone have any other ideas. Thanks in advance for any replies...……………….curdog

Boolit Master
    One word: Evaporust.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Bohica

I've used a bronze bore brush in the cavities of a rusty mould. Pro shot makes brushes with brass centers. Chuck it in a drill, clamp the block down, and spin the brush in each cavity. I do clockwise and counterclockwise so that whichever side of the cavity is getting brushed, the bristles go away from the edge of the cavity and not towards the edge. That will help keep it from slightly rounding the edge. Put a glove on the off hand and you can use a finger to help control the end of the brush that isn't in the drill chuck. It works well for a very critical area of the mould.

Boolit Master

Evaporust. Soak it for 24 hrs and clean with a soft toothbrush.
    I would NOT use a bronze brush in my molds....dale

Boolit Buddy
    Evaporust done a pretty good job. Good lesson learned, thank you guys...………………….curdog

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    Evaporust done a pretty good job. Good lesson learned, thank you guys...………………….curdog
    You might want to further clean the mould cavities themselves with a pointed wooden dowel and EvapoRust.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    You may also want to try using a old style typewriter eraser- the one that looks like a pencil with a brush on the end. They are still sold on Amazon. It has a bit of grit in it but will not damage the mold. I learned years ago never to loan anything out-the hard way.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master

Evaporust is wonderful!

Boolit Bub
    I've cleaned several rusty molds by soaking them in bore cleaner or WD-40. Then get a nylon bore brush and some fine steel wool and chuck it into the drill and clean
    the cavities. It's worked for me and I got good bullets afterwards.

Nick10Ring@aol.com

Boolit Buddy
    You may want to look up ele Electrolytic rust removal. Not sure on mold but it does a great job on old tools. Only removes or converts rust with no additional damage to base metal, only requires a battery charger and washing soda and a five gallon plastic bucket. Converts red rust to a black loose powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    You may want to look up ele Electrolytic rust removal. Not sure on mold but it does a great job on old tools. Only removes or converts rust with no additional damage to base metal, only requires a battery charger and washing soda and a five gallon plastic bucket. Converts red rust to a black loose powder.
    My nephew, the electrical engineer, claims this the best way to clean rust, gets it out of places you can't see. It's job 4753 on the list of things to do/try.

Maybe before I'm drooling in my soup at the old folks home

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    My nephew, the electrical engineer, claims this the best way to clean rust, gets it out of places you can't see. It's job 4753 on the list of things to do/try.

Maybe before I'm drooling in my soup at the old folks home

Oh no! The infamous double post! No idea why, but it's here. Geezers with keyboards, what do you expect?

Boolit Grand Master

Three Words: Never Lend Moulds .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    True, that. I loaned a bullet mold out. Once.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    A hard lesson to learn but one you need to learn. Although I would alter the three words slightly. "Never Lend Tools" and if you do just say to yourself I really didn't want that tool or I am ready to buy a new one. I am a tool guy and one truth I found many years ago is, those that don't have tools don't know how to use them and certainly don't know how to care for them.

As far as where to go now, the Kroil will get under the rust after a long soak (24 hours). Hopefully the cavities are okay. A wire brush or wire wheel on the outside surfaces that are not forming the bullet is quick and easy. Use a #2 pencil lead to polish out the cavities, the eraser also will help to polish off the surfaces, so do the pencil/eraser first and that may be all you need. A small brass hand brush may be needed on the inside if it is really bad.

I ditto the use of Evaporust if you have it or want to buy it, but it is not cheap. Bama's suggestion of electrolysis works great, if you want to go to the effort of making a setup. and are going to do more rust removal.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Evaporust around here is about $20.00 a gallon and you can reuse it till it quits working . That's pretty cheap in my book . Be sure to lube the mold after the evaporust or the metal may flash rust .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I have needed to clean rust from molds a couple of times. I use Birchwood-Casey Blue & Rust Remover. Cost is low since you only buy a small bottle.
    I use a cue tip and wipe it on. The results are immediate and thorough.
    Just make sure to was it off afterwards.
    As long as the cavities are not deeply pitted, I go ahead and use the mold. I don't worry about small pits in the mold. They don't seem to have any effect on accuracy or performance.
    My experience is with handgun molds for this.