Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Best mold for full house 35 whelen

Best mold for full house 35 whelen

Looking to see what you guys think is the best current production mold for the 35 whelen? So far I have only shot jwords, and that is NOT what I built this thing for! So, what's the best mold? 200 grn, 250? 275 grn+?
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

I really like the old Lyman 3589(or 358009) which is 280 grains with Lyman #2 alloy and with my mix of 50/50 +2% tin it is more like 295 grains. I have taken a few whitetail with this (gaining some familiarity with this boolit) before taking it black bear hunting in Eastern Canada. It did perfectly on all game with 3 shots for 3 animals which included a nice male black bear. I believe one of the custom mold makers have cloned this boolit so they are more readily available than they used to be. I believe if whitetail is the quarry, I would consider the 35-200 from RCBS. It will do the job in spades most of the time.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I have two favorites I use in my 1-12 twist, 35 Whelen. The NOE 230gr 360-230 FP and the NOE 310gr 360-310 FN (35 Thumper). Both are very accurate and can be shot at high velocities.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N_O_E__Bullet_Moulds_360-310-FN_-GC-_310_gr_Sketch.jpg  
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 09-01-2019 at 01:26 AM.
    A deplorable that votes!

I have tried over 10 different 35 Moulds for full bore loads in the 35 Whelen and the best one hands down is the Accurate 36-260C ! Made from a 3:1 mix of wheel weights and Linotype then water dropped it will print groups around 1 inch at 100 yards with max loads

Boolit Master
    What is the twist rate on your .35 Whelen?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

1 in 14"

I had to settle for the Lee 200 grain (cuz I’m cheap). Have not done any accuracy tests yet but I would prefer a heavier bullet.

Boolit Master
    You didn't mention what your intended use was, hunting or general shooting. Irreguardless, I have 2 molds for my 35 Whelen Imp, with a 1-12 twist barrel. The Lyman 358315 bullet is my favorite. It weighs out at 210 gr w/gascheck, and it shoots very well in my Whelen. A good bullet for overall shooting and mid sized game, such as whitetail deer. The other is a Saeco 352, a 245 gr bullet w/gascheck. For bigger game, this would be the first choice for me.

There are so many molds out there, that are well suited for this cartridge. Everyone has their favorite, these two are mine.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE49E65D-E4EB-4677-8F6F-3BA12432C8A6.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	247718. I like this one a aweful lot. I powder coat, a GC isnt needed as the Whelen cant push it past powder coat velocities. It offers a good meplat, so you are not required to push it that hard.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Be sure to do a search for "35 Whelen loads" using the "custom search" feature in the white box in the upper right side of the page. Many of the best loads will not be found in any book for it. Best powders for me have been IMR4064, IMR4350 and and IMR 4831. Others have mentioned AA4350 and H380 as their best powders.
    A deplorable that votes!

4064 and 4350 are the powders I've used so far for fireforming converted 30-06 brass, both seem very well suited to the whelen. I am looking for hunting and general shooting, which is why I asked for favorites. I will probably be buying two or three molds for this rifle, but I like heavy for caliber bullets, so hunting with it for big game like elk and moose will for sure be in my future...

Boolit Master
    With a 1:14 twist, you should find good accuracy no matter what design you end up with. For hunting I prefer the Lyman 358009 at a nominal 280g and heat treated. I'm driving these at 2150fps. I use AA4064 as the powder of choice.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

I liked that 358009 for many years in my Whelen 1:14. (I think) But when I started powder coating I found this nose (bore rider portion) just too big. I bought the Accurate 270 and have t really looked back!!

Im casting it 20:1 and having a ball with it sized .356 in the Legend on top of 7.3g Herco for a sub sonic 1070 fps loading!! JUST THE SLIGHTEST 50 Y evidence of a tail wag in the 1:16 twist. If I go to 8 g it goes super/trans sonic and no wag noticed.

I just scored a Saeco 352 and have high hopes.

I also have a NOE 230 thats great, but want more weight.

CW

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE49E65D-E4EB-4677-8F6F-3BA12432C8A6.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	247718. I like this one a aweful lot. I powder coat, a GC isnt needed as the Whelen cant push it past powder coat velocities. It offers a good meplat, so you are not required to push it that hard.

CW
    I had a mold with that ogive. It was good at 100 yards, but wildly inaccurate at 200 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I had a mold with that ogive. It was good at 100 yards, but wildly inaccurate at 200 yards.
    Intresting... I have t shot for Accuracy out past 100 and didnt buy this one to do that... BUT we can ring that 18" gong out at 260 ish every time once ya get hold over. (Subs in 350 Legend)

CW

Boolit Buddy

NOE's version of 3589 works well in the 35 Whelen and 35 WCF. In both cases the barrels have 1 in 12 twist.

Moderator Emeritus

You need to define what you mean by "full house". Is it speed, weight or a combination of both? How far are you expecting to shoot at? How many animals do you want it to pass through? I am OK with the Saeco 352, 245 gr @ 2100 fps, make your own adjustments for your area.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    The Saeco 352 at 245 grs would be my first, and only choice, certainly deadly in my .356 Win. I must say that I don't care for that accurate design with that long unsupported front portion.

Saeco 352 will shoot 5 rounds in 1.2 inches @ 100 out of my 35 whelen. I powder coat. 16.5" 1-14 twist from a green mountain blank. I use 30-06 brass with a moderate load of IMR 4350. I tried 6 different powders at various levels and once I went to the 4350 the group tightened up significantly.

NOE Thumper with a heavy charge of H380 or WC852f (what I am using) prints very small groups from my 35 WAI.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces