Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone got any light recoiling loads for A 30/06 with 125, 150 gr J words?

Boolit Master
    If you already own Blue Dot try that. I use 12 grains with a 55 grain bullet in my 223 for predator control. No recoil and reduced noise and very accurate.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    For a HUNTING load, not a "CAT'S SNEEZE", or plinker load, take a Speer 150 grain 30-30 bullet and load it over 45 grains of IMR 4895. This will give you about 2550 FPS and is the equivalent of a 300 Savage. It is mild in an 8 pound rifle. Another option would be somewhere between 42 and 49 grains of IMR 4895 or WW-748 and a 130 grain spitzer bullet. This will be similar to a low end 270 in performance, roughly 2,500 to 2900 fps.
    I have personally used the 150 grain load from a light Mauser and it was much more comfortable than the factory loadings.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    No offense meant, but you should read your loading manual or get one and not load for a friend's wife using loads off the internet.
    The loads in the manual are listed with the fastest powders at the top for each bullet weight and the slowest at the bottom.
    You need to get a quick powder and use the starting load listed for that bullet weight.
    This is basic to reloading especially using jacketed bullets.
    There can be a big difference in recoil between a 125 and a 150 grain bullet.
    Usually the lighter bullet over the lightest starting load will give you the most accurate, easy to shoot load.
    Females are especially appreciative of this.
    You may find that the starting load may be her favorite and leave it at that.
    Many times this is the case.

Boolit Buddy

I reloaded by manual for the first 1-17 years of reloading until I had a bullet (cast) and then many after that which really didn't show up in any of the reloading manuals I have (7). Now I am not saying you can throw caution to the wind and just load up what the internet has to offer. That would be irresponsible and dangerous. But there is great info on the net and quite a few years of experience in this forum alone. Also Powders like Trail boss states in its loading data that you can fill the case to a specific amount and go from there.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Here's something you can try. Old 300 meter load data I received from the NRA many years ago. 125 grain Sierra spitzer flat base and 38 to 40 grains IMR 4895. Used it in a Smith Corona 1903A3 almost match accuracy. Course the long slide Lyman 48 and the Lyman 17xnb globe sight which replaced the issue front sight helped. Recoil about like a 30-30 and easy on the bbl. Do not know if it will cycle a Garand I only used it in the A3. Think you'll like it. Frank
    This is a damn good load with Speer 125tnt. Also try 47 grains of 4895 or 4064 with a Sierra 135 gr matchking.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12