WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Thinking of moving......

Thinking of moving......

I'm thinking of moving from Florida to Arizona..Wheres a good place to shoot and meet like minded souls around tucson??

Boolit Master
    I don't spend much time down in Tucson, but I like it down there.
    And I don't think you will have any problem making friends down there.
    Why Tucson ?

Boolit Master
    The Tucson Rifle Club is at Robles Junction, also called Three Points, about 20 miles west of the 19 freeway in Tucson. Ranges go from a couple feet out to 1000 yards. About all they don’t have is shotgun stuff.

There’s a trap and skeet range (I think run by the Boy Scouts) on Kinney Rd, also west of town, a very nice, well-regulated range that goes to 200 yards on Houghton Rd, south of town, a very pretty 100 yard range on Wilds Rd, north and east of town, a Game&Fish plinking area (pick up your trash when you leave) near Red Rock, north of town, and a bunch of indoor ranges around town.

North of Phoenix is the Ben Avery Range, where all the heavies shoot the various Championships. That one has everything, including Schuetzen matches. Don’t know more than that about Phoenix shooting spots.

I think these places all have web sites; might take a little searching to find them all. Some are only open on weekends and holidays, some open weekdays. Plenty of gun activities of the socially acceptable sort.

The one distressing aspect, for me at least, is the dearth of empty desert to shoot in. When I was here in the 70s and 80s, you could just go out into the desert and shoot. Now much of the still-empty desert has been glommed onto by the not-so-nearby towns, or has become State Trust Land, or is in the thrall of some other bureaucracy that you need a permit from before you are allowed to stand there, with shooting totally out of the question. But Arizona is still pretty hospitable to the Gun Culture, despite the effete whimpering of the urban sophisticates.

Boolit Buddy
    Funny , I’ve always wanted to ask where in Florida to move too....guess we are all have different things we are looking for

Boolit Buddy
    1hr north of Tucson in Casa Grande is the Elzy Pearson Shooting Range, it's a free range that goes out to 300yrds, first come first served, concrete benches with shade, also has some separate 100yrd ranges for pistol/rifle with shade only, bring lots of water to drink.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Well....I am a Brit but moved to Florida in 1980....I am just sick of the Humidity ...as I get older it seems to affect me more and more...I have not been to the range in about 6 months...the last time I went I was miserable...just sitting there soaking wet after 5 minutes...my son moved to Tucson about a year ago and I went to visit him a few weeks ago and loved the place...when I first moved to Florida it was really a cheap place to live...now...you better be rich or your in for one hell of a shock....the funny thing was I bumped into many people who had moved to Tucson from Florida...or people that had moved to Florida and a cpl of years later had moved there....similar retirement situation with the state...One thing i liked a lot it was 110 degrees and I went for a walk and was bone dry....Tucson 110..27% humidity Florida 93 ...97% Humidity...which one would you prefer?...There are a lot of decent folks that live here but they keep within there own circle of friends and if your new here beware of the transient community...there is a saying here...If you shake a strangers hand here make sure you count your fingers afterwards

Banned

Dorian is going to provide some more humidity for you Floridians I fear. I have a good friend just north of Miami. He and his family are going to stay and pray.

I live in Ocala about an hour north of Orlando so we should get some of it..I am well prepared..gen set ..fuel..food..Plenty of Black powder and a tap-a-cap cap maker with ingredients for primer mix...and most of all 3 bottles of fine rum and 6 cases of beer

Banned

Good luck to you and I hope that you don't need the generators. You seem to be short of vodka though.

One has to make do in these trying times...

Boolit Master
    I went to my wife's Oldest Grandsons high school graduation in Florida Back in June.
    Humidity wasn't bad, but I still couldn't stand it.
    We have lots of what we call Snow Birds out here in Arizona.
    They come here for the winter, then back to their other homes in other states for the summer.
    I guess they don't like the snow back home, or our Heat in our summer.
    I came here from California back in 1995, and have never looked back.
    Weather wise, and cost wise, plus the less restrictive gun laws , make this a nicer place to live than California.
    Come out and travel around.
    There are places even that might fit your needs better than Tucson, and lots are just on the outskirts of Tucson if you want to be close to friends or family.

Boolit Master
    I have spent time in both Arizona and Florida. I would not move to Florida if you gave me the finest house in whatever town you name. Not if I had to live there. I have spent time in AZ when you could shoot almost anywhere. I hate to hear they have closed much of it off. That's what happened to us in Ca. Various Dumbocrats closed several thousand acre here another closed several thousand acres there. After a while there was no place to use your dune buggy or dirt bike let alone shooting. This is advice to the man who mentioned the range with great facilities but none for shotgun. Here is some advice, take it to heart. Keep it that way. The moment some member says something about starting a trap range, run him off. Shot gunners breed like rabbits and they will take control. Before you know what is happening one of them is president of the club. It goes south from there. I have lost two great shooting ranges to that crowd. The last one was only a few miles from my house. Buckshot lived so close, if he forget something, he could run home, pick it up and be back in 10 minutes. Now the range we go to is fifty miles from my house. Bugger. I think the area around Tombstone would be a nice to live. It is about forty five hundred feet elevation so it is cooler than Tucson which is just too hot. Avoid Prescott. They closed the range there or so I heard. I was told the nearest range to Prescott was forty five mile away. My two cents worth.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned

Buy enough land to have your own range
    Been to Arizona, Florida, most other places many times
    In short order, both of the aforementioned states will put a whole lot of limits on firearms. Love northern Arizona around the Grand Canyon. Florida has some decent areas. Neither state floats my boat. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Theditchman View Post
    Well....I am a Brit but moved to Florida in 1980....I am just sick of the Humidity ...as I get older it seems to affect me more and more...I have not been to the range in about 6 months...the last time I went I was miserable...just sitting there soaking wet after 5 minutes...my son moved to Tucson about a year ago and I went to visit him a few weeks ago and loved the place...when I first moved to Florida it was really a cheap place to live...now...you better be rich or your in for one hell of a shock....the funny thing was I bumped into many people who had moved to Tucson from Florida...or people that had moved to Florida and a cpl of years later had moved there....similar retirement situation with the state...One thing i liked a lot it was 110 degrees and I went for a walk and was bone dry....Tucson 110..27% humidity Florida 93 ...97% Humidity...which one would you prefer?...There are a lot of decent folks that live here but they keep within there own circle of friends and if your new here beware of the transient community...there is a saying here...If you shake a strangers hand here make sure you count your fingers afterwards
    That is why I love the southwest. Grew up in Phoenix area and lived in NM for 30 years now. We prefer NM for a lot of reasons, one being not as hot, second not as many people and third much lower taxes and cost of living. If you want a larger city then Albuquerque is nice although it does get below freezing during the winter quite a bit. Southern NM is nicer weather wise but smaller towns.

I will say if you want warm, Tucson is a nice city to live in. Plenty of suburbs around that cater to retirees as well. And Phoenix is a short drive away if you want bigger city events (pro sports and such).

Thank you everyone...I already feel welcome...I have been looking around the vicinity of Tucson...I like the feel of Green Valley...or maybe one of those smaller towns within a 50 mile radius...anyone ever had their teeth done in Molar City (Los Algadones ) ??...I'm ready for a new life ..a new beer..a new woman and some new teeth...Who's with me??...lol

Boolit Master
    The area around Tucson is nice, and I have heard good things about Green Valley.
    In fact a former Co- Worker retired and moved down there from Phoenix, and went off the grid.
    I too have looked into New Mexico, but just for a summer home till my wife retires.
    But what was mentioned about Shooting in AZ is a little confusing.
    The State Land Trust areas, which are Plentiful, are restricted for Target Shooting, not Hunting
    I was just out on one of those areas today for opening day of our Dove Season.
    You can openly Hunt with a Valid License with no issues, or camp during the hunting season with just a hunting license.
    No special permit required.
    It is the Off Road Vehicles, ( Quads and Dirt bikes)are the people complaining about for having to have a special permit to use Land Trust Land Areas when they are not hunting.
    BTW.
    It was crowded out there today Hunting. ( but that was opening day )
    I only got Two Doves, out of 5 shots, But had fun and will be going back later this week.
    That plot of land is only a half hour from my house, and there were Deer tracks, Javelia Tracks, and I saw Rabbits all over.
    Plus plenty of Quail for the upcoming season in October.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We have a place about 15 miles south of Tucson. There are several indoor ranges up in Tucson - one on 22nd IIRC that I've shot at a number of times. There are several county ranges IIRC. There is one up in North Tucson - it's an outdoor range - pistol range and a rifle range - monitored by ROs when open. It's at the base of the Catalina Mountains - a beautiful spot to shoot and well run. I don't drive anymore and depend on my wife for that so I don't go as often as we used to - I used to shoot with some neighbors at the ranges but they have since moved to Dallas due to work - still have their place in AZ but only back a few days once n a while.

Google "shooting ranges Tucson Arizona" and you should come up with a listing. A great area - we've been wintering there for 12 years now since retirement. You'll miss the humidity of your Floridda home though - "Arizona is hot but it's a dry heat" you now . . . . No Alligators or Crocs but the rattle snakes will make up for it! A beautiful state . . . friendly people . . . . sunshine and a lot of variety due to differences in elevation depending where you are in terms of vegetation and weather . . . . a great place to visit or to live!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I have spent time in both Arizona and Florida. I would not move to Florida if you gave me the finest house in whatever town you name. Not if I had to live there. I have spent time in AZ when you could shoot almost anywhere. I hate to hear they have closed much of it off. That's what happened to us in Ca. Various Dumbocrats closed several thousand acre here another closed several thousand acres there. After a while there was no place to use your dune buggy or dirt bike let alone shooting. This is advice to the man who mentioned the range with great facilities but none for shotgun. Here is some advice, take it to heart. Keep it that way. The moment some member says something about starting a trap range, run him off. Shot gunners breed like rabbits and they will take control. Before you know what is happening one of them is president of the club. It goes south from there. I have lost two great shooting ranges to that crowd. The last one was only a few miles from my house. Buckshot lived so close, if he forget something, he could run home, pick it up and be back in 10 minutes. Now the range we go to is fifty miles from my house. Bugger. I think the area around Tombstone would be a nice to live. It is about forty five hundred feet elevation so it is cooler than Tucson which is just too hot. Avoid Prescott. They closed the range there or so I heard. I was told the nearest range to Prescott was forty five mile away. My two cents worth.
    You are so right about the shot gunners. They are the ones who constantly throw us hand gunners under the bus where I’m at. And if you dare go to one of the trap clubs with anything less than a
    $15,000 Krieghoff you’re looked at like lowly trailer trash.

Boolit Master
    4,000 people without power in Green Valley Az. due to one of our summer Thunderstorms.
    They get some Great Lightning shows during our Monsoons down south.
    But no big deal

Banned

next year i'll be moving and all that matters is what red state for the new home.