Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersPBcastcoInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Oozing grease cookie

Oozing grease cookie

Decided that I wanted to work with paper patched bullets and see how they do. I load my powder charge. Insert the over-powder wad(s). Then press the mouth of the cartridge into the lube to cut a cookie.

The lube had been placed between two pieces of non-stick aluminum foil. I put a stick, 1/4 inch thick on either side of the lube package and roll it flat with a rolling pin. I keep the package in a refrigerator until ready to use just to help keep it a little stiffer than room temperature.

After the cookie is cut and in the case I stick it with a needle (blowgun dart) because trapped air will push the cookie out of the case. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't the production stops while I clean up the mess and work on trying to get a cookie to stay put in that cartridge.

What tricks do you use to keep this from happening?

Boolit Grand Master

Try a little bigger needle the hole from the on your using may be sealing up

Boolit Master
    Use a toothpick or very small screwdriver or similar. Make the gas vent on the edge of cookies next to the brass.

Are you sure you need a cookie?

Banned

i'll echo brent - why the need for a lube cookie? for blow tubing instead of wiping with a hunting load?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Decided that I wanted to work with paper patched bullets and see how they do. I load my powder charge. Insert the over-powder wad(s). Then press the mouth of the cartridge into the lube to cut a cookie.

The lube had been placed between two pieces of non-stick aluminum foil. I put a stick, 1/4 inch thick on either side of the lube package and roll it flat with a rolling pin. I keep the package in a refrigerator until ready to use just to help keep it a little stiffer than room temperature.

After the cookie is cut and in the case I stick it with a needle (blowgun dart) because trapped air will push the cookie out of the case. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't the production stops while I clean up the mess and work on trying to get a cookie to stay put in that cartridge.

What tricks do you use to keep this from happening?
    What purpose are you working at with P.P.? For target with P.P. I never used a lube cookie as it takes up space needed for powder and I always wipe between shots so it isn"t needed .For hunting with paper patch again not needed as it only take one shot ,

Why a grease cookie instead of blowing? Probably because I have enough trouble holding on target without winding myself huffing and puffing up the bore.

Why a grease cookie at all? This is an experiment into unknown territory so I'm following the book "Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets - A Beginner's Guide". IF I decide to pursue P.P. I may play with other ideas and methods.

I've been very successful carefully following the instructions of others in building a PID, making up a great smokeless lube and a wonderful black powder lube, and using Smoke's PC process. But "40 years with the 45/70" didn't work at all so I followed the advice of others then developed my own methods and came up with a tack driver.

Banned

honestly, in yer best PPB interests, and having been there and done all manner of goodness with regards to PPBs, yer far Far FAR better off wiping between shots than dealing with grease cookies and/or blow tubing. even if it's just a damp then dry patch. the ultimate is a one-pass effort with a BACO bore wiper and dry patch, or best yet make up some of Brent's bore gophers ...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4701102

Thanks, rfd. In fact I do have the proper sized BACO darts and felts AND have tested them with regular BP loads wiping between shots. Very interesting too. 5 shots with a proven load wiping between shots with a damp patch followed by a dry patch gave a better group than 5 shots wiping between shots with the BACO system. I was so surprised that I repeated the test the next day and got the same results. Could there be such a thing as too clean? It only took three darts to clean the bore after shooting. The felts were soaked with Moose Milk.

AND getting rid of the grease cookie and using the BACO system on P.P. is on the experimental list of things to do.