Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester 92 full rifle with Saddle Ring

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!

Winchester 92 full rifle with Saddle Ring

Hi Guys
    A Winchester 1892 in 44-40 has become available.
    It appears to be a round 24" tube with full mag and crescent buttplate with a forend nosecap (not band) and a saddle ring.
    Does this seem like a legit factory creation?

Or a rifle with a saddle ring fitted?
    It is about twice the cost of the average 1892 and the stock has had a rework (not well). Not sure its worth the dosh.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1892.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	247603
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1892.jpg  
    Last edited by LawrenceA; 08-31-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Ask the expert....Micheal Puzo at 2bitrifles@ gmail.com . Mike is doing a research project on 1892’s and has cataloged over 10,000. He has access to company records and will gladly tell you about the rifle at no cost and he is a very interesting guy.
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 08-31-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

You can do a records search on your own dime - Cody Wyoming to see what was shipped or ask the seller if there is a letter.
    It sure could be correct but odd mixes often have clues like the ones you point out and the rifles in question sometimes turns out to be a parts guns.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    there could be several reasons for that rifle. 1 it was ordered that way. 2 it was a real carbine and was sent back for a rebarrel to rifle. 3 as said it was a parts gun. I am leaning towards parts gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Mr. Winchester set the standard for the company... Anything the customer wants we can do. Very good practice.
    But that gives us all sorts of interesting combinations.
    If this is a real factory special order it will be worth a lot. The cost of the factory letter is well worth the price also. It is added to the value of the rifle. And again if it was shipped this way you just uncovered a treasure hidden away.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Saddle rings on rifles could be ordered. I highly doubt that the barrel band is factory,most likely it was a short mag. to start and converted to full length for some reason.

In the day you could factory order just about anything. Having said that I lean more to parts gun. A few years ago I had a 1894 in 38/55. It was no cherry but had good bore and running gears. This was a rifle too, not a carbine. I cleaned it up and put a stock off a standard 94 and Saddle ring from original early 94. I refinished stock and forearm so they would match with linseed. Played with it awhile and traded it off. I did similar things several times as has hundreds of other guys. When paying serious money for unusual Wins its best to get some expert advice. I never did these things to scam but there are those that will. Win levers are the favorite guns to enhance into "rare" versions.

Boolit Master

For me it would hinge on a perfect bore.
    I won't pay top dollar for a rifle that has a less then perfect bore.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceA View Post

A Winchester 1892 in 44-40 has become available.

It appears to be a round 24" tube with full mag and crescent buttplate with a forend nosecap (not band) and a saddle ring.

It is about twice the cost of the average 1892 and the stock has had a rework (not well).

Not sure its worth the dosh.

Thoughts?

First thought: Sans a Cody letter to the contrary, the saddle ring and forward barrel band on a Rifle model (vs a Carbine model) are not an issue configuration.

Second thought: Whether it's genny or not, the stock refinish reduces it's value by at least 50%

Third thought: Unless it letters, it's very much not worth twice the cost of an average Model 1892.

Love/lust, however, has nothing to do with value or originality..

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    looking at the pic with a glass. it looks like a part round part octagon barrel. if it is then it probably left with a button mag. the full length mag. added later and not by the factory. I agree the stock sanding does cut the value in half or better.

Is it my eyes or does the upper tang and lever have notches in the steel? Also, to me, the mag tube and barrel's patina dont match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes the top tang looks very proud to the stock. Whatever else is not original I can't say but it's not worth top dollar.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Its the tangs (top and bottom) being proud and the way the stock colour changes so quickly near the metal work that make me think the stock has had a heavy sand. I think the "Notches" are just pixelation doe to a poor quality photo.
    You are right about the patina. The barrel is still bluish but the mag is brown.

I think it is a no go then.
    Thanks all.

Boolit Buddy
    According to " The Winchester Book ",, the front barrel bands were always on the muzzle end ( in front of ) of the front sight's ,, even on the 94 model carbine ,,, Exception " when a " ramp front or hooded sight was installed ". Neat rifle ,, has some history to discover !!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.