RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hurricane Dorian is coming to Florida

Boolit Grand Master

Dang! Down to 911mb. Bet it drops some more. What a storm. Company has 25 or so trailers down towards Wilmington. Bet we start pulling them to high ground Tues like we did the last hurricane. I was the last man out and first back in that time. Bet I get the honor again
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Just talked to my sister who lives in Jacksonville, Florida and she said there's a little wind and rain, but tomorrow will tell the true story.
    This isn't her first hurricane.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Just talked to my sister who lives in Jacksonville, Florida and she said there's a little wind and rain, but tomorrow will tell the true story.
    This isn't her first hurricane.
    Yep! The turn is SUPPOSED to happen tonight. If everything in my life had gone the way it was supposed to...….well

Boolit Master

Hunkering down on the mainland 15.75 miles due west of the Cape of Florida. There are two barrier islands and two water bodies from the neighborhood to the ocean shoreline. Shuttering windows and doors this morning. Have hurricane snacks and promise not to eat them too soon. The further out to sea the eye remains will be the Tale of the Tape for wind damage on the mainland. Just downgraded to Cat 4 is a good trend. Eyewall restructuring is an indication of weakening too. Flooding is not a risk for this neighborhood. Will report conditions periodically for as long as power is on.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Good luck to you. I know it ain't no fun. On a side note; I wonder how many "Pine Island"s there are in the state of Florida?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Good luck to you. I know it ain't no fun. On a side note; I wonder how many "Pine Island"s there are in the state of Florida?
    Never though of that. I sold my place on Pine Island a few years back when my divorce started. My Pine Island was on west coast just above Sanibal island (sp)?

One of my girls lives in South Daytona. Hoping for the best. Storm shutters are up. I don't think they are leaving. It's a whole different spot than here in Idaho. Gp

Boolit Master

I have 2 daughters and their families in SW Florida (Naples). Praying for the storm to make a turn North or weaken before making landfall.

D

Boolit Master
    Dorian gave the Bahamas the biznass.

Boolit Master
    5pm and Dorian is parked in the North bay of Grand Bahama. Started at Cat 5 and now 4. All day at 140 mph winds.

Boolit Master
    The one "good" thing about a hurricane is you have plenty of notice it is coming. You can board up, stock supplies, or evacuate if necessary. Even a tornado can offer some warning. An earthquake on the other hand comes out of no where and can smash buildings and fell trees and powerlines within minutes.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

@Finster101 & @ Mr. Wolf...there is a Pine Island on Merritt Island (E. Central FL). That is the only other of which I know.

@Denver...Naples (on the opposite side of the state) "should be" fine this time if the modeling track is adhered to by the storm, which seems to have a mind of its own.

https://www.noaa.gov/stories/4-hurri...-state-in-2004

4 hurricanes in 6 weeks? It happened to one state in 2004.

August 26, 2019

Florida, officially known as the “Sunshine State,” was dubbed the “Plywood State” by media after it was battered by four hurricanes in only six weeks during the 2004 hurricane season. Nearly every square inch of Florida felt the impacts from at least one of those four storms.

NOAA’s 2004 Atlantic Hurricane Outlook called for an active hurricane season, and it was – 15 named storms, with nine becoming hurricanes. Four of those hurricanes – Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne – took aim at Florida in quick succession. Each one was different, yet each served as a reminder of what these storms can bring to those living or vacationing in hurricane-prone areas.
    Been here and done that. Now Dorian.
    Will there be anything left of the Grand Bahama Island? Dorian STALLED and has churned there for MORE than 30 hours at a wind speed OVER 140 mph (down slightly from 185 mph) with gusts at its height over 220 mph. Someone there REALLY pissed off God. This storm's fury is unimaginable...pray for the inhabitants there. They have had enough. Coast Guard is "on the ground" there. I thought it was inundated by storm surge and there wasn't much, if any, ground left.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    @Finster101 & @ Mr. Wolf...there is a Pine Island on Merritt Island (E. Central FL). That is the only other of which I know.

@Denver...Naples (on the opposite side of the state) "should be" fine this time if the modeling track is adhered to by the storm, which seems to have a mind of its own.

https://www.noaa.gov/stories/4-hurri...-state-in-2004

Will there be anything left of the Grand Bahama Island? Dorian STALLED and has churned there for MORE than 30 hours at a wind speed OVER 140 mph (down slightly from 185 mph) with gusts at its height over 220 mph. Someone there REALLY pissed off God. This storm's fury is unimaginable...pray for the inhabitants there. They have had enough. Coast Guard is "on the ground" there. I thought it was inundated by storm surge and there wasn't much, if any, ground left.
    I dont think they really got 140mph winds tho.
    The hurricane hunter aircraft measure winds aloft, then they take that number and run with it. that wind speed aloft is not that on the ground.
    The weather station on the ground, on west end point never saw actual hurricane force winds, and it is only 15 mile from the so-called 'Cat-5 eye'
    Keep in mind that IF they actually had 150mph winds, there would be nothing left, no plants, no trees, no buildings, not even remnant of concrete structures.
    I saw a few photo from social media that looked like a mullet shack with the roof tore up, just like a run of the mill hurricane, maybe a Cat-1.
    The big problem for Bahamas is time and high water. That storm is spending so much time in one place, it going to tear it up very bad.
    May God help them.

Boolit Master
    As a crewchief, I have traveled in a CH46E helicopter at over 150 MPH & with the crew door open, an M60 sticking out an open window on the port side & an M2 on the starboard side with an open window and the cargo hatch in the rear opened & there was no issues with sticking your hand or helmeted head & your shoulders out of the upper half of the crew door. I did it on more than one occasion.

Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight

Performance

Maximum speed: 144 kn (166 mph, 267 km/h) at sea level
    Cruise speed: 143 kn (165 mph, 265 km/h) maximum at sea level
    I am in disbelief with a statement that winds of that speed would make everything go away down to bare earth. I don't think so.

I am not arguing, just stating actual personal experience.

I have been thru a couple of hurricanes when I was on the East coast(N & S Carolinas coast - MCAS New River & MCRD PI), and I know it was a helluva experience, so I do have a little bit of personal experience with that as well. I think you are a bit off on the description of the winds effect on objects, that you may want to reconsider in your thinking.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    This has forgotten it's way. Amazing that it just quit moving. At least it is weakening as it sits. I guess that is good for Florida and the east coast, I think?

Banned
    Category 5 into Babamas...
    Category 2 out.
    Yeah, I’ll take it.

Boolit Master

We dodged a huge bullet down our way. The Bahamas really got it bad. Local Coast Guard units are over there helping with rescue efforts. There's tons of local relief efforts underway. Hopefully they're able to receive it soon, because they don't have much of anything left.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Remembrance

Hurricane passed 100 miles offshore. No water or wind damage. All is well here.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123