RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Dorian is coming to Florida

Banned

Boolit Master

Well, looking like we might dodge the boolet on this one. Let's hope for that "right turn Clyde" .

Boolit Grand Master

Another hurricane season and more hurricanes !
    I was trying to remember some of the ones I've actually rode out , been near or had direct experiences with .... a few more than I thought .

1957 Audrey . Dead cows in the trees 20' off the ground . The storm surge wiped everything except two buildings in Cameron La. off the map. The smell from all the drowned cattle has never left my memory .

1965 Betsy . Came up the Mississippi River, through New Orleans and then to Baton Rouge . We went out during the eye... the sound of total silence after hours of howling winds was unreal .

1969 Camile . I was working in Waveland Miss . , went home to Baton Rouge to my parents house .
    The Miss. Gulf Coast and Waveland were decimated by the tidal surges . Boats were in the trees , ships and barges were miles inland . Bad killer storm .

1992 Andrew . Rode it out in Baton Rouge . Not bad .

2005 Katrina . Rode it out in Baton Rouge with wife and her family from New Orleans . This was a big bad storm too .
    New Orleans hit hard when a barge caused levees to break . Lots of flood damage ...to this day you can still see it .

2005 Rita . Not too bad , hit just to our west as cat 3 and quickly lost steam , Baton Rouge is 90 miles inland ....But still another hurricane right after Katrina's cat 5...yowzer !

2008 Gustave . This one was a bad one for Baton Rouge, it had been dry , the big oak trees were stressed and when Gustave hit the number of trees that fell was unreal . Cut limbs and tree trunks would be stacked 12 feet high on each side of the streets .
    I live near a street named Hundred Oaks , the street sign was gone , someone made a temporary sign for the crews to get around...Hundred had been crossed out and Two was written in its place, it sure seemed as every oak tree in town had been uprooted ...that many fallen trees was also a strange sight to see . Disposal of the tree waste and getting power restored took a long time !!!

2008 Ike ...Right after Gustave and its destruction here comes Ike ! We got lucky and it tracked west to Galveston Texas , no damage but a lot of scare.

2012 Isaac . Came in as a cat 1 , was a lot of rain and wind by the time it got inland...no damage .

2019 Barry , Got lucky again , made landfall as a cat 1 , weakened to a tropical depression and all we got was a little wind and a little rain....no biggie .

I've had enough hurricanes , if I never experience another that's fine .

What I've learned cat 1 to cat 3 .... hunker down
    Cat. 4 and especially Cat 5...... leave, get outta dodge , pack up and go somewhere else .
    Coastal areas and Cat 4-5 hurricanes are Dangerous , do not stay .
    Nothing can stop a 20' wall of water...they may be able to control Global Warming but "They" ain't stopping no hurricane tidal surge or wind speeds of 175 mph ...no way shape or form .
    I'm not sure "they" can do anything about the earth's warming and cooling cycles like "they" claim they can .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-31-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Every time I see forecasts like now for Fl,it just yanks my pucker string.Born and raised in Vero Beach,Fl and lived there from 1945 to 1985.Family has lived there since 1916.Yep we`ve seen more than our share.Wishing all in the path the very best for a safe outcome.God bless all.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like all of the storm tracks taking it straight across Florida that we've been beat over the head with for the last week are most likely not correct. Latest projection is for it to swing north and follow the coast up through North Carolina as a Cat 1 staying just offshore the entire time. Still not good but not the destruction of a Cat 4 going straight across into the Gulf. Probably.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Looks like all of the storm tracks taking it straight across Florida that we've been beat over the head with for the last week are most likely not correct. Latest projection is for it to swing north and follow the coast up through North Carolina as a Cat 1 staying just offshore the entire time. Still not good but not the destruction of a Cat 4 going straight across into the Gulf. Probably.

The problem the weather people have is they are darned if the do and darned if they don't with the storm track. It's the local and national media that really like to stir it up in to a frenzy.

Boolit Master

Ohio don't have any hurricanes, what we do have is something more concentrated and short lived without a lot of rain, we have tornados.
    Tornados can be worse or not as bad as a hurricane, it depends on if you get hit or not.
    To me, living in Florida is like being a homeless person who gets beat up almost every weekend buy a drunken bum who you don't even know.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    The problem the weather people have is they are darned if the do and darned if they don't with the storm track. It's the local and national media that really like to stir it up in to a frenzy.
    I think you are absolutely correct in this.

In any case in the legendary words of Shep Smith "Your all going to die...and your kids are going to die, too"

Be safe and prepared no matter what the “experts” say. Wish some of the rain would make it up to Central NYS ( been very dry) but looks to make a hard right at N.C.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Ohio don't have any hurricanes, what we do have is something more concentrated and short lived without a lot of rain, we have tornados.
    Tornados can be worse or not as bad as a hurricane, it depends on if you get hit or not.
    To me, living in Florida is like being a homeless person who gets beat up almost every weekend buy a drunken bum who you don't even know.
    Don’t forget the Grassman. Ohio has those as well.
    We have Cubans, yankees and lot lizards down here in Florida. Very bad situation. I’ll take a hurricane any day!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Don’t forget the Grassman. Ohio has those as well.
    We have Cubans, yankees and lot lizards down here in Florida. Very bad situation. I’ll take a hurricane any day!
    This and the heat are the reason I left Fla. Hurricane would leave when it was done. The others acted like they were at home.

My new weatherman hero is Al Roker. "It could get to a category 4 by when it reaches landfall, or could get weaker. We just don't know." Honest that eh?

I guess if you send a whole crew to the state and it turns out they were just covering a hard rainstorm it could be embarrassing. Yes the hype and drama aspect of reporting annoys those of us who grew up with news that was based on just the 5 W's. If it is a hurricane only an idiot would go out in it to be on camera, if it isn't a hurricane why are you standing in the rain?

I live in Michigan, on a well, have a generator and I still have the water containers I could fill and store. What is it about the little clear plastic water bottles? Are they some sort of religious talisman? Because I just don't get it. Couple of 6 gallon water "jerry" cans are cheap and reusable. Not like this is the last hurricane gonna visit the area. Collapsible 5 gallon water cubes are like maybe $10 so I have to wonder do folks not value the time they spend standing in line?

Even 2 liter soda pop bottles are good refillable water containers. Having a couple of weeks worth of canned goods on hand is cheap and easy and you can eat those as you go and replace in your weekly shopping.

I have a friend in the area but inland. Asked him what he was doing to get ready. He said moved the vehicles all into the garage. He already keeps a few fuel cans full, supplies on hand and has wood for the big windows already cut and stored. Seems reasonable to me. We don't head up north without bug spray in skeeter season because, well you know what you need to stay comfortable so you just do it.

Still without flooding you wouldn't get to see reporter broadcasting from a boat as two guys in waders walk by sort of spoiling the illusion of massive flooding. Humor is where you find it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

USMC 77, USRA 79

prayers sent that the thing would hook up and spin out into the ocean!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

I'm in pretty good shape here. Not on the water. I have been here long enough that when we built this house 3 years ago hurricane windows, doors and a 22kw standby generator with a buried propane tank were nonnegotiable items. We also opted for a gas stove, dryer and water heater. That eliminated any need for load shedding on the generator. It has already paid for itself with Irma. No power for 10 days. The only difference in our life was hearing the hum of the generator.

Boolit Master
    the newest update from NHC.NOAA comes out at 11am.
    they already called the baro pressure down to 27.23, thats pretty intense.
    Bahamas is gonna get flattened.

edit:
    I just looked in the hurricane archives,
    a baro pressure of 27.23 is tied with the 4th lowest pressure ever recorded.
    Andrew hit with a 27.23 baro
    Last edited by kens; 09-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Banned

Hurricane Dorian is coming to Florida

I'm in pretty good shape here. Not on the water. I have been here long enough that when we built this house 3 years ago hurricane windows, doors and a 22kw standby generator with a buried propane tank were nonnegotiable items. We also opted for a gas stove, dryer and water heater. That eliminated any need for load shedding on the generator. It has already paid for itself with Irma. No power for 10 days. The only difference in our life was hearing the hum of the generator.
    That’s the plan for our new house, as well, when we rebuild here in the Keys. Except we will be 8 feet above ground and 12 feet above mean sea level. Big Pine Key saw 5-8 feet above ground level (9-12 feet AMSL) when Irma rolled through.
    Last edited by dangitgriff; 09-01-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    the newest update from NHC.NOAA comes out at 11am.
    they already called the baro pressure down to 27.23, thats pretty intense.
    Bahamas is gonna get flattened.

edit:
    I just looked in the hurricane archives,
    a baro pressure of 27.23 is tied with the 4th lowest pressure ever recorded.
    Andrew hit with a 27.23 baro
    I just saw a reading of 913mb or 26.96 in. It has a ways to go before matching the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 @ 892mb not to mention Wilma @ 882mb
    Last edited by jonp; 09-01-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    I just saw a reading of 913mb or 26.96 in
    if you go thru the archives, that is the 3rd lowest ever recorded, ever.......

Boolit Master

I have a daughter in the area just below Orlando the high point in that part of the state. I worry more about a granddaughter in the the coast guard in Miami going to be a busy time for those folks. Prayers that all in Florida make it through this one
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    I just saw a reading of 913mb or 26.96 in. It has a ways to go before matching the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 @ 892mb not to mention Wilma @ 882mb
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    if you go thru the archives, that is the 3rd lowest ever recorded, ever.......
    Here is a link to the latest at 1100 EDT:
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/301754.shtml

Be safe!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast