Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: c/z 22 hornet to 22 k hornet info

Boolit Buddy

c/z 22 hornet to 22 k hornet info

I have a c/z 22 hornet and would like to get it chambered in k hornet. Does anyone have a name of gunsmiths that would do this rechambering. Thank you in advance for any help...………………….curdog

Boolit Master

Curdog, be aware there are at least two versions of K Hornet. The original is the Kilbourne version which has 35 degree shoulders, then there is the Ackley version with 40 degree shoulders. I’ve got the original version with Redding 35 degree dies for my Ruger 77/22 K Hornet.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Be sure the reamer used is a minimum specs reamer or a custom grind to under the usual Hornet SAAMI dimensions at the web and just ahead of it. I have one by Clymer that is a waste of good tool steel. Way oversized, brass comes out looking like a pregnant Hornet and lasts only two reloadings before it separates.

Banned

Let me preface this with saying all the loading for the Hornet that I have done has been for light squirrel loads using cast bullets and it has worked out real well. I haven't shot any given lot of brass enough times to know for sure, but with the neck sizing and light loads, I don't see brass life as being a problem for me.

Is the K Hornet conversion really worthwhile? Reading around on the web it just seems like two cartridges, the .22 Hornet and .45-70, seem to attract people who want to make it something it's not and was never intended to be. Again, my experience is limited and I got into the Hornet with specific goals that were quickly met and I don't intend to do much else with them, but I like the little cartridge as it is.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had 22 Hornets for years, also had a couple K-Hornets. In stronger modern actions, such as the CZ, with modern powders such as Lil'gun or H110 the standard 22 Hornet will out perform the what the K-Hornet was touted at back in the day. I currently have 3 standard 22 Hornets and see no reason to K-Hornet chamber them. Out of my Savage M40, Contender and Ruger #3 the 45 gr Hornady at 2950 fps and sub moa accuracy is all I need from the hornet.

I also neck size with a Redding Bushing die but the Lee Collet works as well. Using the FL die backed out results in crooked necks most often. Using a Lyman M-die to expand the neck, with jacketed bullets especially, so the bullet is started into the case before seating negates crushing the thin fragile necks during seating.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you guys for the good sound advice. I should probably leave well enough alone...………………………...curdog

Boolit Master
    I'm late to the party, I've got 3 Hornets and 3 K's. All of the K's were not rechambers, the barrels were chambered from the get go as k's. With today's bullets, powder, and nice chambers I won't buy anymore K's.

Banned

I'd rent a 22 K hornet reamer and re-chamber it. It will out perform the standard hornet. I had a Ruger # 3 I re-chambered that I traded several years ago that I regret!

Boolit Bub
    I too have a CZ 527 Hornet that I debated reaming to K- Hornet. However, after weighing the cost against the intended outcome, I chose to keep the Hornet as it is and began to search for a .221 Fireball. Before I found a Fireball, I ran across a sweet deal on a Howa mini action HB .222!

My Hornet has been sequestered in the safe ever since!

Why spend the money to amp up the Hornet, when you might find another rifle in a chambering that can be readily loaded down to K-Hornet performance for equal or less cost?

I still wish I had a Fireball though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GBCAPT View Post
    I too have a CZ 527 Hornet that I debated reaming to K- Hornet. However, after weighing the cost against the intended outcome, I chose to keep the Hornet as it is and began to search for a .221 Fireball. Before I found a Fireball, I ran across a sweet deal on a Howa mini action HB .222!

My Hornet has been sequestered in the safe ever since!

Why spend the money to amp up the Hornet, when you might find another rifle in a chambering that can be readily loaded down to K-Hornet performance for equal or less cost?

I still wish I had a Fireball though.
    Generally, the reason for the K Hornet conversion is to extend brass life, not necessarily to "ramp up" the Hornet. I agree with your reasoning, though. Seems there are a lot of guys out there trying to make the Hornet something it isn't. Too many cheap rifles in .223 for me to worry about eeking every FPS out of the Hornet.

Boolit Buddy
    I had always wanted a hornet. My solution was to down load my tac driving 223 to any MV I wanted. I have found many good loads with Blue Dot
    that make my 223 better than ever.

Boolit Master
    Well I have an M527 Hornet being rechambered to K Hornet. Why? Because I’ve wanted a K Hornet for at least 60 years. Practicality and need have nothing to do with it. I intend to have a good time playing with the rifle just like I do with my thoroughly impractical black powder rifles. So I say do what you want and have fun doing it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Generally, the reason for the K Hornet conversion is to extend brass life, not necessarily to "ramp up" the Hornet. I agree with your reasoning, though. Seems there are a lot of guys out there trying to make the Hornet something it isn't. Too many cheap rifles in .223 for me to worry about eeking every FPS out of the Hornet.
    These are the facts!!!

I had a good shooting H&R Hornet. I re chambered to the K. Its a great shooter and I much appreciate the gun and cartritage. But I did it for brass life and loading. The MINOR increase is nice but NOT A GOOD REASON to re chamber. If your a re loader you WILL appreciate the K.

But it will never be a 223/556

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    By k hornet is over 70 years old and still shoots under moa.
    The throat must be worn abit.
    I can just seat 40 grn Boat tail plastic tipped bullet just in the case mouth enough to hold them and resist handling and just touch the lands.
    I don’t shoot it much any more but I think it will last me out.

It is a nice cartridge to load for and teaches you how to respectfully treat your brass a feel the bullet being seated.

Good enough for most things at reasonable shooting distances.

Didn’t the eskimos/innuit people shoot polar bears with them?

I’d call it a gentleman’s round
    If you are a hamfisted neanderthal then stick to thick necked stuff like 223.

In the old days it took about a grain of powder to equal the performance of a hornet round and you gained some by the extra grain.
    Probably with a little less pressure maybe but less stretch in the case length.
    It headspaces off the rim so it easy to partially neck size only not work the case at all delivering the best accuracy and case life without any fuss.
    I have always used graphite as a case lube as I was taught.
    Small rifle primers ; as seating pistol primers deep will cause pitting of the breach face from primer blow back as my rifle shows and of course trying to make a 222 out of it.

End ramble

I reamed a TC Contender barrel out to a "K". That stopped the early brass failures I had been getting. Once formed, I neck size only, so the case actually headspaces on the shoulder rather than the rim. Difference is miniscule, but it's working for me.
    Cognitive Dissident