Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast boolit in .45 ACP

Boolit Bub

Cast boolit in .45 ACP

Hello guys,
    One decade I have reload for rifle, but recently I bought one Croatian pistol H-S 45 Tactical (They sell the product in the USA like Springfield XD 45). I plan to start reloading for .45 ACP. I have read a lot, but I still have some questions without answers. I want to use the pistol for a second weapon for hunting. I saw different boolits types, but I have not experience with them. I'll be happy to hear your opinion. As I have very small choice for powders to buy - TiteGroup,N320,Universal Clays and H-6. I do not know which to use with cast boolits. I can buy Hornady shells and CCI 300 primers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the .45ACP. I have never used any of the propellants you list but if you will do a comparison with what you have available and pick one that performs in similar manner to Bullseye you will have a good load. I use Bullseye with a 225 grain truncated cone bullet that drops at .454 and shoot it as cast, (Accuratemolds.com). If you move that bullet along at 830 to 850 feet per second, you will have a pleasant, accurate and powerful load which will stomp any game in Europe.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I have used Titegroup in 45ACP with good results with all boolit weights. It gives good velocity and good accuracy.
    Lots of data available. Check out the Hodgdon data site for more information.
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Boolit Master
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Banned
    I'm not sure what "a second weapon for hunting" means. Does that mean a pistol to accompany a rifle or a pistol used instead of a rifle? And for what game?

As for reloading the 45 ACP and the use of cast bullets, you should have no problem there. The 45 ACP is very cast bullet friendly. It's a low pressure cartridge, there are plenty of molds to choose from and there is a wealth of knowledge gained from over 100 years of use to draw from.

As for the powder, most powders with a fairly fast burn rate will work in the 45 ACP and I noticed that sundog provided a link for the N320, which should be readily available in Europe.

A few key points: the round must be able to feed and cycle in your pistol, so be a little cautious with bullet profiles until you are certain the bullet will function in your pistol. If possible, try before you buy.
    I can't speak to that particular pistol but I would keep your bullet selection in the 200-230 grain range.

What part of Europe are you in?

Boolit Bub
    Thank you guys for the reply.
    @DanCash- There's not Alliant's powder here in Bulgaria.
    @Petrol&Powder- I live in Bulgaria. Three monts ago the government gave permission to the hunters who has carbine rifle to buy one short barrel weapon (pistol or revolver). I use one Mauser M96 straight pull in 300 WM and decided to buy one .45 ACP pistol like you said to accompany to my rifle . We hunt here basically wild boar.

Boolit Bub
    I forgot to tell that is difficult to find reloading equipment here in BG. Even powder and primers I can buy from 2-3 stores in 200-300km. far from my home.At this moment nobody sells .45 bullets for reloading.That's why I prefer to cast and reload.I have ordered every equipment from Germany. That's why I'm trying to understand which mold will be suitable for casting for hunting and after that to order it. The other bad thing is that not every US online shops ships to BG.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I'd go with a truncated cast boolit. Titegroup would be my powder of choice. Keep it simple.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-31-07-17-54.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	247604

Get a dozen bottles of Lee Alox and a push thru sizer from Lee at the same time and have at it.

Just my honest opinion.

Banned
    I would naturally go with a design that will feed in 99.9% of all 45's made and that would be a 230 Gr. RN. Will feed, function, and stop wild boars.

Banned
    311-200 :

A lead bullet that will feed and function in you pistol should be your first criteria. The suggestion for a 230 gr round nose bullet would certainly give a high probability of functioning in your gun.
    A truncated cone [abbreviated TC] or Semi-Wadcutter [SWC] style will give you the added benefit of a flat point (better for hunting) and is still very likely to function in your pistol. I would strongly recommend that you keep your bullet weight within the 200 grain (13 grams) to 230 grain (14.9 grams) range.

Just for your information, here are a couple of examples of the bullet style: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010356371

and https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010357962

Those are rather costly and you will probably be able to find less expensive versions in Europe but that will give you some idea concerning the style of the bullet.

A fairly fast burning powder will get the job done in 45 ACP.
    If you have access to VihtaVuori powder, you should be able to find something that works. They offer several powders suitable for 45 ACP loads. VihtaVuori powders are expensive here in the U.S.A. , don't know what they cost in Bulgaria.
    HS-6 will work but it's not one of my favorites, I think it's a little slow for 45 ACP.
    I can't speak to Titegroup but others may be able to offer some input.

A good reloading manual is the best place to start.

Good Luck !

Boolit Master

Unless the pistol is the XDM version it probably won't work with SWC boolits. I've had three XD45 pistols and not a one of them would.

The problem is the extracted brass comes back and folds the case mouth of the cartridge in the magazine.

The XDM doesn't have this problem.
    NRA Benefactor.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    This is a good cast for 45acp. A Lee 450-200-1R
    A 200 gr .450 Diameter

Red Dot was my go to powder on this load.

Boolit Master

I don't have anything to add to the good information that you have already received from the others, I just wanted to say thank you for posting and giving us a little perspective on how our hobby works in your part of the world. Happy shooting.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    Thank you guys again!
    I found the bullet mold which MOA offer in one online store in Germany - Lee TL452-230-TC and I'll plan to order tomorrow.

Banned
    That should get you started.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by 311-200 View Post
    Thank you guys again!
    I found the bullet mold which MOA offer in one online store in Germany - Lee TL452-230-TC and I'll plan to order tomorrow.
    That is a good bullet to start and end with in my opinion. I have used it on trapped hogs in my .45 autos and it works perfectly. You made a good choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That is a good bullet to start and end with in my opinion. I have used it on trapped hogs in my .45 autos and it works perfectly. You made a good choice.

Care to reveal the loads you used? I just picked up this mold Friday. My barrel will plunk clear out to 1.25" oal but I don't have to seat it that long.

Ole 270- that would be 5 grains of Bullseye with the with the shoulder of the bullet just a fingernail above the case mouth. They run through my custom Ballester and my Ruger P97 like sand through an hourglass.

Boolit Buddy
    For hunting backup. I'd go with 230 gr lrnfp with a max or possibly +p load with hs6

Boolit Master
    Lyman 452389 w/5.0 grains of Bullseye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast