RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast boolit in .45 ACP

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    By what method are you crimping your boolit?
    Try different powders.
    What distance are your targets?
    What alloy mixture are you using. Lead/tin/antimony? (percentage)?
    Are you getting leading?
    If so, how much?

I have a small suggestion. Run a few hundred factory rounds through your new pistol to break it in and to establish an accuracy benchmark to equal or exceed with your handloads. S&B is good ammo to do this with- but by all means mix in some of the Hornadys that you have. Lots of people have shot their Chrony, no shame there!

Boolit Bub
    @MOA - I use Lee 3 die carbide set, but maybe I did not set the sitting/crimping die correctly. The alloy is from tire weights and the distance is 14-15m. I get leading Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71525360_376047483317616_7298984692609449984_n.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	249059

Boolit Master

I'm enjoying your learning curve.

I think your choice of the Lee TL 230gr TC is an excellent one.

You're using Lee dies, does your seat-crimp die Taper Crimp or Roll Crimp ? If it Taper Crimps, I would try adjusting the die to seat only. Seat some Bullets and then readjust the die to Taper Crimp Only. Do a drop test of your seated and Taper Crimped dummy Cartridges.

If that solves your problem, great. If not, maybe someone more familiar with Lee dies could offer better help.

Good Luck
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    @Walks - Yes, maybe the crimp is my trouble. I'll try tomorrow to fix this problem!

My Ruger likes that boolit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    My standard range load is a 200 gr SWC over either Win 231 or VV N320.

311-200, I think your bullet is too small.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Would a second powder coat help any?
    Aaron

Boolit Bub
    First I started with longer COL - 32.4 mm - 1.275', but when I looked at my book which recommend for 230 gn. cast bullet with 5.1 gn. VV N 320 shorter COL -I reduced the COL to 30.5 mm - 1.20' and I had better result for accuracy. In fact I don't use gun rest.

@Aaron - Good question! I think so, but let we hear the experienced folks!

Yesterday I first have used my gun in hunting situation - I shooted to one male wild boar about 120 kg. from 150 m. with my Mauser 300 WM. The weather was very windy and the bullet deviate too much.The impact was on the pelvis bone, so the animal start to creep, I have doubled the shot and start to run towards the game. When I reached it I've shoted with the pistol, but maybe from the adrenaline - the boolit hit the jaw. Then I made second shot in the heart. This was 2 meters shots and the boolits went through the animal. I couldn't find them inside.I have catch the rifle shot on my camera, but not the pistol shot.

Boolit Master
    Nice work on everything.

This is the regular TC bullet with lube groove? What lube?

I used the regular lube TC bullet in a 1911, lubed with old std stick lube and it did very well (pan lube, no sizing). Tumble lubing did not do well for me when using std groove bullets.

I would stay with powder coat since you are set up for it. I think the size should be fine as is.

As TbG mentioned, I would break in the pistol with some jacketed loads. Then check accuracy with the factory ammo. I had an XD45 years ago that did not do that well in the accuracy department. Never fired cast in it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Texas By God, that looks like my P97 but with a blued slide instead of stainless. Did not know they made them with blued slides. Mine shoots well too. Converted to P90 magazines though after I had weak magazine spring issues with the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Texas By God, that looks like my P97 but with a blued slide instead of stainless. Did not know they made them with blued slides. Mine shoots well too. Converted to P90 magazines though after I had weak magazine spring issues with the originals.
    It is stainless, it's been painted with Duracoat. I've had no magazine troubles and I've converted a couple of GI 1911 mags to work as well- but they are for practice use only. I need to get another P97 for a spare- great gun IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Miha (Mihec) of MP Molds should be closest to you (Slovenia) for your bullet mold needs.
    CB choice ranges from 155gr to standard 230gr.
    TG is a bit warm & easy to overcharge but otherwise OK. VV N320 is clean & easy to meter but a tad expensive.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Slug your barrel. Not all barrels have the same groove diameter. Find your groove diameter and order your bullets .001 oversize so they fit well. Any bullet that fits will tend to shoot well and reduce fouling. Make sure your die does not size the bullets back down by sizing too tightly (referred to as case swaging). You can order 452 diameter and swage down simply by seating your bullets. Check the above and ***** if it is a sizing issue or a barrel diameter issue. Then pick your poison on bullet weight and powder/primer and such. You'll be disappointed with cast until you find your groove so to speak.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

My next ACP adventure
    Montana bullet
    215 gr Saeco 58 swc bb
    7.5 gr IMR 800x
    Win primer
    Should pass thru anything in North America that I will hunt
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Boolit Master
    "Cast boolit in .45 ACP"

You mean there's another kind?

I shoot nothing but cast in 1911 and 25-2 S&W. I have several molds but shoot a 185g the most.
    Run about 750fps with 1:1 WWs and Lead at 20:1 by weight Tin and have no leading problems. I size for each pistol.

You have zero freebore in your barrel which makes feeding,functioning and loading lead bullets much more difficult regardless of style of the bullet. Your barrel is designed and manufactured to shoot jacketed bullets, until you address the no leade aka freebore issue satisfaction will be elusive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123