Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: anyone have a .223 J word load that is subsonic to use with a suppresor?

Boolit Master

anyone have a .223 J word load that is subsonic to use with a suppresor?

I have a friend who has 2 suppressors, needing some loads for his .223 AR, that is subsonic or close to it. All help appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    Operated as a semi-auto or single shot?
    Don Verna

Banned

if you want it to be subsonic and run the action GOOD LUCK

Boolit Master
    Normally a 70 grain bullet runs at about 3000 feet per second, so just for round numbers if we shot a bullet that weighed 3x70=210 grains we could probably push it to almost 3000fps/3=1000fps, or just under the speed of sound. And still might operate the action. So, has anybody tried shooting a 210 grain booolet through their AR-15 so their suppressor will function?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Normally a 70 grain bullet runs at about 3000 feet per second, so just for round numbers if we shot a bullet that weighed 3x70=210 grains we could probably push it to almost 3000fps/3=1000fps, or just under the speed of sound. And still might operate the action. So, has anybody tried shooting a 210 grain booolet through their AR-15 so their suppressor will function?
    Rough math, a 210 grain bullet .224 in diameter will be say 3” long. I’m exaggerating, but I doubt that anyone has tried it.

There was a thread on this topic a year or two ago. Some folks suggested that a 22lr would accomplish the same thing at lower cost, but the guy had reasons. Not sure where it ended up, but I’d guess a pistol powder.

Boolit Buddy
    A word of caution. Brother in law did just what you're talking about with MY gun. Subsonic combined with suppressor caused 5 bullets to lodge in barrel. Thought they were just goin wide of target or my scope was off. Fired standard fmj military to check scope. Beautiful ring in barrel at gas block. Recoil spring and buffer came out back of gun taking butt plate off. Thank goodness no one hurt.

The Outlaw State 100gr bullet is your best bet. I have seen over 100gr subsonic ammo (forget the name but I believe Midway sells it) but results are mixed. Subsonic to get any kind of accuracy you probably need a faster twist than 1:7. Do testing without the can on until the rounds are proven stable to prevent baffle strikes.

http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/12.html

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    One of the reasons the 300 BLK came to be. Tell him to grab a PSA upper (assuming he got a 30 cal can)

Boolit Bub
    Here is a thread that may be helpful.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6095

Boolit Master

Might as well get a 22LR conversion kit to run AR sub suppressed, dirty though.
    Even a 90g pill will not cycle .223/5.56 sub in an AR, however, single shot may work.
    Reason why .300BLK, .277 WLV & the likes are popular in AR15 with subsonic velocities, still tricky, but SBRs & pistols run great suppressed using fast-burning powders behind heavy pills. Ditto with PCCs.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...