RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: another 4198 question

Banned

another 4198 question

saw in the other post where some are using it in the 300 bo and the 556. Any supersonic load advice. Seems to be it would be a bit to slow for the bo and a bit to fast for the 556.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure how its a "bit to fast for the 556", there are lots of published loads for it. I've loaded both H4198 and IMR4198 and it works well providing excellent accuracy in my guns. I've found powders that provided better accuracy with different bullets, but if it was all I could get I wouldn't be concerned. I don't know about the 300 bo.
    Note: I'm referencing jacketed bullets, not cast.

Lloyd I checked the Hodgdon reloading web site as they market both H-4198 and IMR-4198. I checked 300 blackout from 110 gr. t0 220 gr. bullets and they do not list any loads using H-4198 or IMR-4198 in that caliber.

Boolit Master

Well, my browser loads up data for 4198 on Hodgdon's site but only for 180 to 230gr bullets. Sierra however has load data from 110 to 240gr bullets with both powders listed. https://sierrabullets.files.wordpres...t-03052018.pdf
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Roy you are right about the data being there. How I missed that the first time is beyond me. Must have been asleep at the wheel.

We used it a lot in my brothers .223 700 Varmint Special in the 1970s but my ARs in this century dont care much for it. For the Blackout, I haven't tried it because I'm happy with W296 and Acc1680.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Ive got LOTS of loading manuals and most don't even list it for the 223 and the few that do stop at 50 grain bullets. No doubt you could make it work but its sure not ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I'm not sure how its a "bit to fast for the 556", there are lots of published loads for it. I've loaded both H4198 and IMR4198 and it works well providing excellent accuracy in my guns. I've found powders that provided better accuracy with different bullets, but if it was all I could get I wouldn't be concerned. I don't know about the 300 bo.
    Note: I'm referencing jacketed bullets, not cast.

I've got some very accurate loads with a 4198 equivalent, SPP210 with 62gr Hornady FMJBTs. The SPP210 was sold by Wideners a long time ago. A Swiss made powder they said, I think it is Vectan TU2000. First load I tried shot a 1" 100yd ten shot group. That was 20gr, which seemed a tad hot in the Igman brass. I dropped down to 19gr in LC brass and that load shoots cloverleafs at 100yd! 62gr is about the heaviest bullet I would use the powder for in .223. I'm shooting a little 16" barreled, 1/9 twist, Wylde chambered AR.

The SPP210 has an odd solvent smell to it, acetone I think, that I also noted in some Russian 4895 GIBrass once sold. I got a lot of Xs and 10s using that 4895 in my Garand.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

I have used it with 55 fmj, in the 18.5-19.5 range. I think 19.3 is where I landed for me. I still prefer TAC for that projectile. I never tried cast with it, it seems a bit faster than I would want.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!