RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Pietta steel of brass frame?

Boolit Buddy

Pietta steel of brass frame?

Ok so a couple months back Cabelas had a deal if you spent 500 a month for 2 months on their credit card, you got 200 bucks credit at Cabelas. I use 3-4 times that a month for work expenses i get reimbursed for, so i do every one of those offers i can find, because its free money. Anyway, i have been looking at the 1858 NA's to use up the credit. I like the look of the brass but have a question, how much stronger is the steel version over brass? I wish they had the stainless sheriffs model at Cabelas but they dont. I will be getting the 5.5 barrel.
    thanks

If you don't plan to shoot a lot, and don't intend to push it hard, then the brass will hold up fine. If you're planning to shoot a lot at full charges, personally, I'd get the steel. YMMV.....and I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Steel is a lot stronger then brass. Plus if you load a brass frame with a Max Charge, the Revolver will start to loosen up, get out of time. Basically you Wore it out.

Do yourself a favor, Buy a Steel Frame. And you can drop in a Cartridge Conversion Cylinder and shoot COWBOY. 45Colt ammo.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

where did you find this offer, we have a cabels card and never got any offer like that.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    It was a mailing offer from Cabelas(sometimes junk mail isnt junk.) I also get these deals from Kredit Karma, slickdeals and a few more. 4 months ago i did a deal with Wells fargo platinum card, charged 1k a month for 2 months and got 500 cash. I'll stick with Steel, thanks

USMC 77, USRA 79

steel for sure.. brass will not last.. it might for a little while, but not over the long haul... like was already said.. do yourself a favor.. go steel for firearms.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a lee mold for my old army and conversion cylinder. A 452 for lc and a 457 for round ball. What size round ball should i use in my old navy arms 1858 and the new 1858 i am going to buy?. Can i use .457? thanks

Boolit Master
    The internal dimensions of cylinder and groove are what dictates the size needed. With Italian repo's there is no standard that I have encountered.

Boolit Master
    .457 will strain the loading lever. Go with .454.

Boolit Master
    Go with the steel, as it will last. Brass stretches over time, especially it you use hot loads or shoot a lot.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Years ago I had a brass-frame Pietta 1858 Remington from Cabellas and kept a log of how many full charge loads it took to loosen up the gun. Using Goex 3Fg and .454 balls and an Ox Yoke Originals lubricated wad over 30 grains of powder the cylinder gap opened from 0.010" to 0.020" developing 0.010" of end shake in less than 400 rounds.

I returned the gun to Cabellas with a Xerox copy of the firing log and they replaced the gun with a steel frame one and included an extra cylinder. Cylinder gap of the replacement gun as received was 0.008" and both cylinders fit and timed correctly with zero end shake, with cylinder throats .450"

The 30-grain charge of Goex 3Fg and .454 round ball gave 858 fps with an Sd of 31 fps compiling twelve shots, firing six from each cylinder. An average of ten six-shot groups fired off a Ransom Rest at 25 yards averaged 2.42".

I later got a Walt Kirst .45 ACP cylinder for it and have since fired well over 1000 rounds of .45 ACP target wadcutters loaded with the H&G#68 SWC and 4.2 grains of Bullseye and the gun is still tight.

Bottom line, BETTER BUY STEEL!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Go steel. Buzzard II that looks like a 425 horse 409 under the hood. I guess it could be a soup up 348 with 2 fours
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Go steel. Buzzard II that looks like a 425 horse 409 under the hood. I guess it could be a soup up 348 with 2 fours
    Original 1962 Bubbletop 409-409 4 speed-needs to be restored. Original A/S known in NHRA Div. 1 as "Buzzard II". I'm not the original owner but I talk to him from time to time.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Banned

I have 2 brass frame 1851 Navy revolvers I've put together from kits over the years........I tell people they're Griswald&Gunnison Civil war replicas!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    Original 1962 Bubbletop 409-409 4 speed-needs to be restored. Original A/S known in NHRA Div. 1 as "Buzzard II". I'm not the original owner but I talk to him from time to time.
    That is SWEET!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all, i ordered the steel sheriffs model.

Boolit Master
    I made this offer before I will buy the pistols a steel and brass frame you supply the caps and powder. I will shoot them till one gets lose. just to see if all these tals are true. I have never seen a brass frame gun shot lose.
    that said I would still get the steel frame. because it is what the originals were. also one day you mite get a wild hair and want a conversion cylinder for it.