Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mp clone of HG 275

Boolit Buddy

Mp clone of HG 275

I'm looking for a good SWC that would work well in some of my 9mms with a really tight throat. Anybody have this mold and have any info on it?

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and it shoots great out of one of my CZ Shadow 2s but will not chamber in my second one.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you know why it won't chamber in your other pistol? With the skinny nose I'd think it'd chamber in just about anything

My mold is a 6 cavity brass mold and the boolits it produces is just so beautiful!
    My experience with this specific SWC boolit is that the bearing surface is rather long, I suppose to get you to the weight of 130gr, so in order to not seat it too deep in the case, which is tapered in 9mm, I had to make the COAL of my round about 28.3mm, which is about 1.114" if my math is correct.
    This make the shoulder of the SWC boolit rather pronounced, so if your chamber is somewhat "short" the round will not chamber properly.
    But a little reaming of the chamber sorted that for me, it shoots perfectly, and is very accurate, but the best feature of all for me is the perfect round hole it makes in paper targets.
    I can see them perfectly out to 30 meters even with my old eyes!

So to answer you on that this boolit need to work in some of your guns with tight throats, I do not think this is the best design for you, I would much rather look at MP's 135gr flat pointed boolit, this one will chamber in almost any pistol and shoots very well also.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply. I have the flat point boolit you're speaking of, and it does work very well in most of my 9mms, except for my Canik tp9SFX. For some reason the throat on that pistol is tighter than even my CZs, which are notorious for tight throats. I'm going to send that barrel out to DougGuy for him to ream out, but I'd like a boolit that I can use even if I'm not shooting one of my own pistols that have had special work done

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have the flat point boolit you're speaking of, and it does work very well in most of my 9mms, except for my Canik tp9SFX. For some reason the throat on that pistol is tighter than even my CZs, which are notorious for tight throats. I'm going to send that barrel out to DougGuy for him to ream out, but I'd like a boolit that I can use even if I'm not shooting one of my own pistols that have had special work done
    I had severe leading problems with my SFX. The rifling was cut at a 90 degree angle to the chamber with no leade. No matter what I did that thing leaded like crazy.

The I had DougGuy throat it. WORLD of difference. No more loading short, no more leading.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, that gun has been a real pill for me to figure out. It had me questioning my whole loading process until I realized it was the gun and not me.

As an alternative to the MP design, I see that Accurate has a 115gr. SWC that would work for 9mm. It looks like it's a little shorter than the one he lists for 125gr. (if I'm reading the specs right) so there wouldn't be as much issue with loading deep in the tapered 9mm case if I needed to. Bummer that Accurate doesn't do 8 gang molds like MP does

Boolit Master

Once I had DougGuy do the barrel I found I could use any boolit I wanted.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you know why it won't chamber in your other pistol? With the skinny nose I'd think it'd chamber in just about anything

I load them a bit on the long side but they will still pass my tightest chamber gauge but my second Shadow 2 is very tight at the throat it’s more accurate than my match gun but is a bit too tight even for the factory federal action pistol load.

Boolit Buddy
    Went ahead and got the MP mold. If the boolit ends up causing me too many headaches trying to get it to work in 9mm I can always use it as a light 38 spl boolit, so I figured it was a win-win. Never had an 8 cavity mold before, should drain my pot real fast :P

Boolit Buddy
    Went ahead and got the MP mold. If the boolit ends up causing me too many headaches trying to get it to work in 9mm I can always use it as a light 38 spl boolit, so I figured it was a win-win. Never had an 8 cavity mold before, should drain my pot real fast :P
    They really drop the bullets nice and fast I think you will be very happy.

I see below you ordered the mold from MP, great! If DougGuy can ream your barrel this boolit will work nicely.
    Let us know how it shoots once you have got it going.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the mold in the mail today. I always like getting stuff from MP molds because the newspaper they pack items in let's me keep up on all the hot Slovenian news and gossip

Mold looks great as usual. I really like the Lee style sprue plate and I kinda wish every mold over 4 cavities could be set up with something like this. I'll try to get some casting done this weekend and post some reports

Got the mold in the mail today. I always like getting stuff from MP molds because the newspaper they pack items in let's me keep up on all the hot Slovenian news and gossip

Mold looks great as usual. I really like the Lee style sprue plate and I kinda wish every mold over 4 cavities could be set up with something like this. I'll try to get some casting done this weekend and post some reports
    I normally stare at the mold in admiration for a few days before I start casting, since it is just so beautiful, made to perfection by a master craftsman

Boolit Buddy
    Had a chance to get some boolit cast up and coated yesterday. I've got mostly brass molds, so the first couple fills weren't great, but as I remembered how to treat aluminum molds they got much better. Had a big pile of good boolitss in a very short time

Now I just need to get some dummies made up and find that sweet spot for OAL

asmith80,
    I found that using my Dillon round nose seater plug instead of the SWC one to be much better. Very few of my rounds not passing the case gauge test. My COAL with this boolit is 28.3 mm.
    Have fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Good tip! I'll try that before I start messing around with the seating depth on my die. I've got it set perfectly for the MP 125gr. HP and if I can get away with not messing with that I'd be very happy

Boolit Master

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1561

If you have a Dillon seating die and load SWC bullets I highly suggest looking into the linked part.

I have them in all three sizes.

The best part....with my .45 ACP I end up loading several different SWC bullets. I never have to adjust the seating die as that stem sits on the shoulder of the bullet.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome! I tried loading up a couple last night and noticed they were all going in crooked, it's like you read my mind

Boolit Buddy
    Did up 4 dummies just to do a quick feed check, all were 1.10-1.095 OAL, which is what I have my seating die set at for the MP 125gr HP that I normally use. This length feeds in my cz P10F no problem, which is my pistol with the shortest throat. I figured I'd start here since I wouldn't have to change any die settings.

All 4 dummies plunked and spun in the barrel and all 4 fed and ejected just fine with hand cycling. I'm feeling pretty good about this boolit so far. Next step will be to load up some ladders and test it out for real

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast