MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yellow Jackets

I have a remedy for a yellow jacket sting that works.

Press a penny on the sting sight. I usually clean with water first if I can or just lick the penny.

No pain, no itching almost like you were never stung.

AFter getting stung by red wasps twice, going to and from my house and shop, I declared war. Knew where they were entering the eaves two places. About an ounce of wheel bearing grease and a teaspoon full of Chloridane mixed and with a used acid brush, painted (smeared) some around each entry. Done. Another time ground wasps behind my shop in the blacksmith area trying to work and they decided I was an enemy. Mixed the Permetrin in a gallon sprayer and stood ten feet away and sprayed straight stream into the hole and around it until it was pretty wet.. Could see returning yellowjackets going into the hole. None flying out. Next day there was a group of dead ones lying around the hole.

Boolit Master
    Last time I had to take care of a big ground nest I went out after dark and poured some gasoline in the hole and plugged it with a piece of rag so they couldn't escape the fumes.

Nice to know about the Orthene; that's what I use on fire ants so I have it on hand.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    We dug one up by accident with an end loader yesterday. About three hundred of them flying around in about a three foot circle. I’ve seen videos of people pouring a five gallon pale Of molten lead down the hole and digging it up after it hardens.

Gas works very well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    If close
    Enough for electricity, my buddy has interesting way to get them... He buys a cheap small shop vac. They are pretty cheap these days. Cheaper than a exterminator for sure!! He plugs it in and turns it on with the Suction nozzle right at the opening and walks away. Couple Times a day he walks up and sprays bee killer in the sucker. With in a couple days he has them all. Sprays the rest of the can in and either cleans it out or tosses it away.
    I have killed three large yellow jacket ground nests with my shop-vac. It only takes about an hour. I leave the hose at their hole for an hour, and then start digging with a crow bar. There will be a few survivors inside the nest with the queen. I poke and dig with one hand, and vacuum up the stragglers with the other. The trip down the hose destroys their wings.

It feels so good to kill them!

JM

Boolit Master
    I have used the CO2 tank off my keggerator at night to eradicate ground bees nests.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    I have used the CO2 tank off my keggerator at night to eradicate ground bees nests.

The bees do not revive as they thaw out from being blasted by the CO2?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    The bees do not revive as they thaw out from being blasted by the CO2?

Three44s
    Suffocated actually. Run the CO2 at 10psi for 5 minutes or so and walk away. Problem solved.

Boolit Buddy
    Now if you really want to see a Yellowjacket problem, here is one of many on you tube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJroVKXMoY
    ENJOY!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

well my nest is gone the bug spray did not work so good but i had a idea i had a left over Hot Dog that i tied a string on drug it around my yard than tossed it up by the nest a Skunk came by looking for something to eat we have a lot of them around this year he went and dug the nest out for me
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    When I find a ground nest I use the weed eater running full throttle over the hole and close to the ground. Stomp the ground near the hole to get them to come out but dress properly as a few will fly low enough to get under the whirling lines. It's fun to watch them disappear in shreds as they come out to fight.

Boolit Master

I had a really big nest underground just outside the house a few years ago. I dumped a gallon of liquid nitrogen down the hole. That wiped them out for good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    well my nest is gone the bug spray did not work so good but i had a idea i had a left over Hot Dog that i tied a string on drug it around my yard than tossed it up by the nest a Skunk came by looking for something to eat we have a lot of them around this year he went and dug the nest out for me
    I like that .....do you suppose a whole package of hot dogs would entice them to clean out all my hornets, wasps and yellow jackets? Maybe a sack of marsh mellows thrown in after the work was complete as a bonus?

One of those jumbo frank packages and a bear likely will apply around here. In fact a bit of hot dog juice smeared on the outside and leave the package intact so the hornets or yellow jackets do not eat them instead.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123