Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Jackets

Boolit Master

Yellow Jackets

Well i had another ground nest of Yellow jackets after the ones i had last year no big deal went out last night sprayed
    the nest no big deal I just went in my back yard to have a look well still have a few flying around but the hole started off
    about the size of a Quarter now it's the size of a basketball what would dig it up
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Skunk

Boolit Master
    Been a bad year here. In the last 2 weeks I’ve got 4 yellow jacket nests in the ground, 2 paper nests and 2 huge bald faced hornet paper nests. Paper ones I burn, ground ones I pour a little bit of diluted chlordane in the hole.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

We did have a Skunk around had that feint smell in the morning did not know they would eat yellow jackets

Boolit Buddy

Got into one two weeks ago today while weed eating. Got stung 10 or so times, dropped the still running weed eater and ran to the tractor cab, no Benadryl, so went back to the house and took a couple of Benadryl and went back to retrieve the weed eater was still idling, also took my hand sprayer filled with diesel and a yard rake. Sprayed the area with diesel and used the yard rake to retrieve my weed eater. Stung through gloves and clothes, they hurt worse than when younger. Went back the next morning and started weed eating again and run into another nest about 20 ft further down the fence line, was a little more watchful and as soon as the first few came out run back to the tractor and got the sprayer and started spraying them. The stings between my elbow and shoulder burned like fire, never been this painful before. May have to resort to chemical weed eating. Too old for this. Found a yellow jacket nest in my blue juniper plants this morning, will try to avoid them, until cold weather kills them.

One summer, when I was about 15, I was out helping my grandpa do some surveying. I was in tennis shoes and shorts and a t-shirt. Stepped on a yellow jacket nest and the entire swarm came out. Unfortunately the nearest pond was about a half mile away. Finally ran to the truck and shut myself in and killed the half dozen or so that made it in with me.

Got home and me and my dad counted 64 separate sting welts, majority on my ankles, some on my arms and ears and face. For some reason, (don't know if this was right or wrong) dad had me take a bath in diluted bleach. The stings hurt/burned for a couple hours. I've always been much more careful where I step nowadays. And only wear boots and jeans when I'm in the fields.
    Last edited by Snow ninja; 08-29-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Skunks, coons, and armadillos will dig em up.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy

Orthene powder sprinkled in and around the opening will take care of the nest in short order. It’s an off label use and you are just trying to kill the ants.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Them yellow jackets have a real bad attitude.
    They are the only kind of wasp that's ever stung me.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I have used gasoline with great success to get rid of yellow jackets.
    About a quart in the early morning will do it. Pour it down the hole. What ever you do, DO NOT LITE THE GASOLINE gasoline is like Kryptonite to any bee.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Yellow Jackets

Had a couple ground wasp nests a couple years back-skunk or coon took care of my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow ninja View Post
    One summer, when I was about 15, I was out helping my grandpa do some surveying. I was in tennis shoes and shorts and a t-shirt. Stepped on a yellow jacket nest and the entire swarm came out. Unfortunately the nearest pond was about a half mile away. Finally ran to the truck and shut myself in and killed the half dozen or so that made it in with me.

Got home and me and my dad counted 64 separate sting welts, majority on my ankles, some on my arms and ears and face. For some reason, (don't know if this was right or wrong) dad had me take a bath in diluted bleach. The stings hurt/burned for a couple hours. I've always been much more careful where I step nowadays. And only wear boots and jeans when I'm in the fields.
    Rugged specimen! That many stings can kill or send you to the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    We were just talking about this at breakfast this morning. One fella that spends lots of time in the woods watched a fox dig up a nest and eat the larvae.

Boolit Master
    If they're in the ground and it's accessible you can use an empty glass jar, upside down, to cover the entrance. They only have one way in and out.

Once sealed a couple days without water and they're done. Works ok if you don't want to use chemicals because of the kids, animals, etc.

Boolit Master
    I just wanted to ask, if cold weather kills them why are any left alive for the next year?

I haven't encountered any in my yard since I thoroughly filled up the hole with wasp killer. I never did find the other hole, it's probably under my shed.

I get a lot of bumble bees and the bee that looks almost identical, but is mostly curious rather than aggressive.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Update yes it was a skunk just seen him up were the nest is

Banned
    I went deer hunting a few years (a lot of years) ago. Crept up to the edge of a clearing scanning for deer, heard some buzzing and looked down. I was on top of a yellow jacket nest that a skunk had just dugout. I turned and ran, my left hand holding the rifle swung back and got nailed 7 times. Before I got out of the woods I could no longer use my left hand. Made it to a friends house and she put Cordran tape on each of the stings and Cortisone on the rest of the hand.

Still not a fan of those swarming venom projectiles or the stinky black and white pussycats that root them out.

Boolit Master

soap and water like dawn or joy mixed in a pump sprayer hose them down and the nest surface breathers it suffocates them no pesticides and poisons , they do get mean this time of year them and the bald faced hornets .

Boolit Master
    Weedeating down at the lake this past weekend I hit a ground nest of something, Yellowjackets, wasps, bees, no idea. Stung twice on the back, once on the back of the left arm, and on the top edge of my left ear. Man the ear hurt. Swelled up almost twice as big as the right one. Stinger was still in there and when pulled out was just shy of a quarter of an inch.

Boolit Master

Saw 2 under the patio roof when I was out hanging laundry this morning.
    Been years since we had any. Gotta find the next on Saturday.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast