MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Isn't it funny how things come around?

Boolit Buddy

Isn't it funny how things come around?

Hello all, it has been a while since I posted on here. I went a different direction with my reloading, and basically stopped casting my own bullets and went to jacketed. (I know, I may need to do penance!) I got an itch for speed, flat trajectory, etc. plus going back to school didn't help matters any. It was easier to just buy projectiles and load them. I even sold all 1,000 lbs of lead I had accumulated, which included 150lbs Linotype. I was also getting into some of the custom line of lathe turned copper bullets (Hammer Bullets) and they really did work well. I looked at BC, studied drop charts, and collected jacketed bullets for my upcoming 358 Winchester.

Several things began changing again. One was a good conversation with Tim Malcolm about the 358 Winchester he has been building for me. He basically said that all I need is the RCBS 35-200 mold, and I can go and kill lots of deer. I knew that, but was thinking of trying jacketed. I then revisited this fine site, and re-read the sticky about cast boolits and how effective they are. This got me thinking again. One argument I often thought about was the extended point blank range of a faster, higher BC bullet. I was especially thinking of the area where I used to hunt several years ago, where a 600 yard shot out across the fields was possible. But I don't hunt there anymore, and even if I did, I never shot a deer there farther than 200 yards anyways. And the area I now hunt is in PA woods, where I can see 50 yards easily, and in a few spots can see as much as 80 yards. Hmmm, maybe a 200 grain 358 bullet moving at 1800-2000 fps may not seem so bad after all.

This does feel a bit risky, since the only gun I hunted with cast was my 45-70 with 420 grain slugs moving at 1550 fps. The smaller diameter of the 358 does feel a bit risky. But I do know lots of people have done it, and found it perfectly suitable for deer. So last evening I contacted my local garage, and he had a half bucket of wheel weights that he left me have! And all of a sudden I found myself excited about casting again! Fortunately I kept my smelting stuff, and my Lee pot. I did get rid of my RCBS 35-200 mold that I had gotten, so I will probably need to get one again.
    So I guess in a way I have come full circle. True, there is not as much flair shooting a cast bullet at slow speeds as in shooting jacketed at warp speeds. But there is something classic about cast at moderate speeds, plus it is cheaper, and should be just as effective in the ranges I shoot.

Boolit Master

Lol, yea it sure is funny. Like the old saying, you can leave but ya can never go home sorta. Anyhow, welcome back.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Considering the .358 has a point black range of around 225 yards, and that I have killed deer, elk, bear and buffalo with them, I would say they work okay.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Jevyod, don't fret brother, most of us have come full circle so many times we deserve a twist rate. These "circles" have caused me to trade off some guns I REALLY wish I had back. So far you are only out 1 boolit mold. Welcome back and take that 358 and go get some tenderloins, it will do a fine job.

P.S. my byline was told to me by one of my old huntin' buddies and is still true.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I too have traded off way too many rifles and handguns. I will say that except for two or three boxes of dirt cheap 9 mm rounds for the Glock that I had, I Haven't fired any factory rounds in my firearms, and several handguns don't know what a jacketed bullet is.
    I suppose I like to tinker with my loads to see what the handgun likes. When I first got my CZ 75 SP01 it wouldn't chamber the t/c boolits that my Ruger and the Glocks would. But by tinkering with a new mold, still sized to .358, the new boolits cycle and fire just fine.
    Cast boolets are wonderful, and a relaxing vpart of the hobby!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Welcom back

You can load both ya know, for the same gun even, if you're of the notion. I never got into long range shooting. For whatever reason I like short range and field positions so that's what I do mostly.

My liking at present is cast at full speed in moderate cartridges, such as 30-30 and 30-40 krag, 348 win. I only have a 30-30 at present but I'm drawn to that class of cartridges. I do have a 30-06 and want to work on full speed 311299 bullets but don't have a mould yet. I got some jacketed I might see about working with till I get one.

I'm A Honcho!
    Get the Lee 6 Cavity 358-200 Lyman clone. That is a great Boolit. I’m willing to bet that in that bucket you have enough stick on weights to soften up that alloy enough to expand at 358 velocities. I. My testing as little as 1:3 SOWW:COWW will expand at an impact velocity of 1450 and faster. Good luck. Hunting season is close.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

As a fellow Pa short range hunter I can assure you that 200 gr cast bullet at 35 Rem speeds will kill deer very dead ! I load the Lee version of that bullet in my rifle and it works fine . Mix your stick on and clip on Wheel weights together and cast some up and give it a go . 1700-2000 fps is plenty fast
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    You will likely regret using cast bullets in that .358

Either after you spend much more time dialing in a load that shoots well, compared to getting accuracy out of a jacketed bullet, or after the first deer you wound, and wonder if a jacketed bullet would have done a better job. Just asking the question has set you up for that doubt.

Your casting skills are rusty. It will take time to develop a consistent cadence to get consistent bullets. You will play with alloys, sizing and lubes to get the performance you take for granted with jacketed bullets.

Spend $150 on a supply of good jacketed bullets. BTW, even mediocre jacketed bullets will be more accurate than most cast loads. Unless you hunt a lot of deer, $150 will buy you a lifetime of hunting bullets.

Btw, I use the Sierra GameKings and get sub MOA 5 shot groups. It took less than a day to get a good load.
    Last edited by dverna; 08-30-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Don Verna

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Either after you spend much more time dialing in a load that shoots well, compared to getting accuracy out of a jacketed bullet, or after the first deer you wound, and wonder if a jacketed bullet would have done a better job. Just asking the question has set you up for that doubt.

Your casting skills are rusty. It will take time to develop a consistent cadence to get consistent bullets. You will play with alloys, sizing and lubes to get the performance you take for granted with jacketed bullets.

Spend $150 on a supply of good jacketed bullets. BTW, even mediocre jacketed bullets will be more accurate than most cast loads. Unless you hunt a lot of deer, $150 will buy you a lifetime of hunting bullets.

Btw, I use the Sierra GameKings and get sub MOA 5 shot groups. It took less than a day to get a good load.
    I never found .358 Win to be finicky about shooting well. One inch groups at 100 yards is pretty common with cast.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I hear you loud and clear. But I shot a buck 2 years ago with a Nosler Accubond and never recovered it. Felt good about the shot, waited 30 minutes, and began tracking. Blood was sparse for 75 yards, and then it ran out. Never did find that deer, and it bugs me to this day. I know that feeling good about the shot doesn't mean I made a good shot. I may have blown it. All this to say that I don't have complete and total faith in jacketed bullets either. Crap happens, and I realize that, and know it may happen with cast as well. And it the accuracy department, I will not need 1/2 MOA to shoot a deer at 100 yards. I think with a well built rifle (Like i know I am getting), it should not be too difficult to get cast shooting at acceptable levels.
    And one more thing, (and I hardly admit this to myself) I really don't like a lot of recoil. I had a 7mm mag I sold because I couldn't get used to the thump. And a 420 grain bullet traveling 1550 fps out of a Marlin levergun is a bit more fun than I like to have. I figured a cast bullet at 1800-2000 fps is more effective for deer than a jacketed bullet at the same speed. ( I know...some are going to say why are you getting a 358 then?) Maybe its because I like rifles that are chambered in something a bit odd. Maybe its because many people on here have spoken of its virtues. Maybe its because I like a rifle that is capable of 35 rem levels (which i really like) yet has the capacity for larger game. Maybe a combination of the above.

Just thinking out loud here, I appreciate your insight and thoughts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I hear you loud and clear. But I shot a buck 2 years ago with a Nosler Accubond and never recovered it. Felt good about the shot, waited 30 minutes, and began tracking. Blood was sparse for 75 yards, and then it ran out. Never did find that deer, and it bugs me to this day. I know that feeling good about the shot doesn't mean I made a good shot. I may have blown it. All this to say that I don't have complete and total faith in jacketed bullets either. Crap happens, and I realize that, and know it may happen with cast as well. And it the accuracy department, I will not need 1/2 MOA to shoot a deer at 100 yards. I think with a well built rifle (Like i know I am getting), it should not be too difficult to get cast shooting at acceptable levels.
    And one more thing, (and I hardly admit this to myself) I really don't like a lot of recoil. I had a 7mm mag I sold because I couldn't get used to the thump. And a 420 grain bullet traveling 1550 fps out of a Marlin levergun is a bit more fun than I like to have. I figured a cast bullet at 1800-2000 fps is more effective for deer than a jacketed bullet at the same speed. ( I know...some are going to say why are you getting a 358 then?) Maybe its because I like rifles that are chambered in something a bit odd. Maybe its because many people on here have spoken of its virtues. Maybe its because I like a rifle that is capable of 35 rem levels (which i really like) yet has the capacity for larger game. Maybe a combination of the above.

Just thinking out loud here, I appreciate your insight and thoughts here.
    When a blood trail disappears, the deer is lying dead within 30 yards. I looked for one for over an hour, and had walked past it at less than ten feet repeatedly, because it blended in so well. If all else fails, sit back for a couple hours, and watch for the birds.

Boolit Master
    . . . . . And if you get the itch for full power at jacketed velocity, you can always paper patch and shoot the original "jacketed" boolit.

Heck, it's a 358. They run fine at full power with cast gaschecked bullets. That RCBS 200 will take any game that walks in north America if you put it in the right place.

Read my signature line.Cast or jacketed, it's gotta go in the boiler room.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!