Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What, other than a bit of a mess/mass collection, is most of thisi?

What, other than a bit of a mess/mass collection, is most of thisi?

The ad was passed on to me, but I've forgotten a lot of what I knew about type styles. Is there an over whelming theme in this bucket? Attachment 247494
    Is it worth investing $1.25 - $1.50 per pound? 200+ pounds about an hour away.

Lately I've been using one 26 lb lead shielding brick, a 5 lb bar of Rotometals Hard Cast for antimony and 1 lb of pewter for pistol alloy.

Without doing the research, that sounds like a retail price.
    It's probably worth that much, but I wouldn't drive that far unless it was a real super deal, or unless I desperately needed it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Actually you see most of it is small with that indentation on one side? That's monotype with a much higher concentration of antimony than lino so it requires much less quantity for the same effect. I think lino is 12% antimony, mono A19%. It should also have twice as much tin.

Boolit Master

The pictures almost look identical. Rotometals price with free shipping would be 2.18 pound. https://www.rotometals.com/mono-foun...-balance-lead/

Banned

Sure sounds like a good deal to me. I know people that drive an hour to work one way!

Boolit Buddy
    This would be much cheaper than buying hard cast with a good amount of tin as a bonus.

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like a mix of Foundry Type, maybe some Mono Type and the strips look like either Lino Type or Lino Type spacers. Its probably worth $2 per pound or so. Maybe you can use the driving distance as an opportunity do negotiate the price down to $1.25 or even $1 per pound. Personally, I would make the deal on the phone and make an outing out of it with my Wife.

While its not the bargain of the Century, type of any kind is getting scarce.

I'm with lightman. Finding mono, foundry, or lino at near scrap prices is getting to be pretty rare.

Another way to look at this alloy is that 1# of it will take around 4# of plain soft & common lead flashing or pipe and turn it into very good bullet alloy. That would mean 100# of printers lead it will make you 500# of good alloy with the much easier to find soft lead. Even more if one is mixing it with COWW's.

The letters also offer an easy mix for high end alloy such as Lyman #2 or Hardball. For Lyman #2 one needs to add pewter to the mono/foundry get Sn & Sb to same percentage. Then cut with plain to get 5% of each.

Hour drive isn't much time. Stopping at a couple of scrap yards to see if you will get lucky enough to find that bucket would take over an hour. And the odds are you won't find anything nearly as rich in Sn & Sb.

If you decide to pass you should reach out to any other caster in your area and hook them up with the contact info. cough * hint * cough
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat