RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Redding 3-BR powder measure??

Boolit Master

Redding 3-BR powder measure??

Did Redding supply any load data (what settings for what powder etc.) with
    there powder measures? I just got one in a deal and have no idea where to
    start..... I guess you just pore in the powder and start playing with it.
    Seems like a hard way to get loads figured out. Any info will be grateful.
    Denny

Boolit Grand Master
    I just weigh my charges and write down what the measure is set at when I get the weight I want
    keep it with my load data so I can use it as a reference the next time I need to load the same case
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The Redding Powder measures are quality. I do believe there are some charts around if you search the internet. Even just winging it they are not that difficult to get dialed in.

I use the Ly,an 55 measure. To set the measure I weigh out the charge on my Lyman scale. I then open the slides most of the way. I then pour the measured charge into the measure. Tilting the measure around to get all the powder down in the chamber. I then move the slides in till the powder filss the chamber.
    This gives me a starting place. I then fill the hopper with powder and pour a few charges to settle the measure then weigh a charge. Adjust as needed to get the charge I want. Write down the numbers in my load book along with the rest of the load specs.
    I guess I could start with a powder and set the measure at a low setting, weigh a few, write it down. increase the setting. weigh, write repeat till i have a weight to setting list for that powder. Do thius for each powder I use.
    Lee has a chart that lists powders and their weight per cc. Lee has a chart that list cc's along the top and powders down the side with weights for the powders on the chart.
    Using a ball powder to extrapolate the markings on the measure to cc's, then use the lee chart to set your measure.
    I think all powder measures should standardize their markings to cc's. Not just some numbers out of a hat.
    Leo

Banned
    1. You put some powder in the measure.

2. You operate the measure and drop the powder into some receptacle (the pan for your scale works nicely)

3, You weight the powder on the scale.

4. You note the weight and adjust the powder measure to dump more or less powder based on the results. You dump the contents of the pan back into the hopper of the powder measure.

Repeat until you achieve the desired result. When you achieve the desired result you may wish to write down the type of powder and the setting on the powder measure so that you can duplicate that point later.

It ain't rocket science folks.

Boolit Master

Yea Petrol&Powder,
    Same thing white eagle said......
    Denny

http://westmorelandengineering.com/F...ure-Manual.pdf

This should answer your questions, they give instructions on how to create your own powder chart for a specific powder using graph paper. I am not aware of any published charts for specific powders.

As for quality, Redding is very good, I've had RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Lee. I'll stick with either my 3BR for the big boomers that take massive powder charges or my BR-30 Redding measures for the more sane powder charges.

Always have been too lazy to create a chart for each of the 20+ powders I use in 2 different powder measures. Maybe if the wife boots me out of the house and I end up sleeping in my shed AND I get really, really bored AND I figure out how to make it a digital chart in Excel, I'll do it.

Pigs will probably fly first...........

Boolit Master

Thanks 15 meter.....
    Denny

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the "drop, weigh and adjust" camp also. Once you get used to a powder measure it doesn't take very long. I made a chart for my C-H 502 when I first got it and yep, it got me in the ballpark, just needed to tweek it for final charge. Normally I have an idea of what powder and charge were used previously and can give the spindle a spin, up or down, and fairly quickly zero in a charge...(I also made a bunch of dippers and did the same; made a chart for how much each dipper held of a specific powder)
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Redding did indeed publish a chart of approximate measure settings for various powders. It is not "load data" as such, just a way to get in the ballpark when setting the measure. Here is a scan of the chart. It is quite old, as you can tell by the listed powders.

ReddingInfo1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneH View Post
    Redding did indeed publish a chart of approximate measure settings for various powders. It is not "load data" as such, just a way to get in the ballpark when setting the measure. Here is a scan of the chart. It is quite old, as you can tell by the listed powders.

ReddingInfo1.pdf

One of the powders listed goes back to at least 1928 from a quick check for load data. Dupont bulk shotgun powder is old!

Redding probably doesn't provide charts like that anymore, because the lower life forms would take it as loading data and blow themselves up, then sue Redding.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Did Redding supply any load data (what settings for what powder etc.) with
    there powder measures? I just got one in a deal and have no idea where to
    start..... I guess you just pore in the powder and start playing with it.
    Seems like a hard way to get loads figured out. Any info will be grateful.
    Denny
    Hard to believe you were expected to set it up and figure it out the hard way .... but before you had Smat I-Phones and Apps ...that was how it was done .
    Good luck
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Thank you DuaneH That is what I was looking for. I've been reloading
    for almost 60 years and mostly used the old Belding & Mull powder
    measures. They to are very accurate. They had a chart that put you in
    the ballpark. I've printed it out and will put it in my files.... Thanks again.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    From the powders listed on that chart the measure may be nothing like the OP's measure.