Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real gel testing of CBs for Hunting

Real gel testing of CBs for Hunting

I don't know about others but I am simply unsatisfied with the present state of terminal ballistic data on cast boolits. It's not that it's insufficient, it's that it is usually done with substitute mediums for real gelatin. Shooting milk jugs of water or wet newspaper is a waste of time IMO because deer are not made or jugs of water or wet newspaper/phonebooks. They are made of hydrated protein--gelatin.

Having now a hollopoint cast boolit mold I will be undertaking some experimentation and reporting back if there is anything worthwhile to report. I will also be doing testing verses the Hornady XTP JHP bullet.

I was curious if anyone has undertaken this sort of effort and if they have any pointers or recommendations.

My initial experiment will be in 357 magnum using the 359 Hammer Mihec mold loaded to ordinary book loads and shot out of a 5" 686 and a Marlin 1894c.

I am going to use unflavored gelatine and water to a concentration that will calibrate near FBI protocol using 17 caliber steel BB.

I have not yet decided if 4 layers of denim will be used or if I will use a layer of buckskin.

This effort will be undertaken at my own expense entirely for the benefit of myself and anyone else interested. Possibly it will be expanded to other calibers like 30-30, 44 Mag, etc.

Please make any suggestions in the comments. I have procured most of the necessary goods so far.

Boolit Master
    I absolutely agree that soaked, slightly compressed phone books are not natural tissue even though that is what I use. They do establish an inexpensive baseline when I do multiple calibers and boolit weights or alloys plus are very convenient to acquire. I look forward to your results especially after you do your 30/30 with both round and flat nose 160-ish grain boolits hopefully launched at about 1600 fps.

This winter I will be testing a 200 gr. RNGC 30 cal boolit launched from a 308 at about 1250 fps which should prove interesting for penetration. I am theorizing that I will get about 14" of penetration with significant tumbling but little expansion with my favorite alloy. All tests have been at 40 yards.

Also to be tested will be a 357 cal 184 gr RF PB launched at 1320 fps.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 08-28-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Banned

Wet newspaper is as good as any test medium
    The best in my opinion
    Look at the Linebaugh Seminars and the Bone Box
    I use the Clear Ballistics blocks
    Brass Fetcher has video comparing it organic gel blocks
    It gives you some rough ideas, they are close enough

Boolit Grand Master

I look forward to your results.

I also favor using wet newsprint wet pack bundles as a test medium. Except I use a known performing bullet shot into the same test bundle. For example when I tested my 311041 HPs of various alloys I fired a round of Winchester 170 gr Power Point into the wet pack. That gave me a known example of performance to compare the results of my 311041 HPs to. I was able to compare; expansion, penetration and wound channel between the Winchester PP and my own bullets performance. In a wet pack of newsprint I was able to shoot 2 rounds of the factory and 4 test rounds of a load/alloy. I had an Oehler chronograph back then so I knew the velocity. The test bundle was at 25 yards and once I had selected an alloy that expanded, held reasonable weight retention with the same penetration as the Winchester factory rounds I loaded then down to replicate retained velocity out to 200 yards and tested again.

I've done the same test procedure on all manner of calibers/cartridges including most handgun cartridges.

That testing was done many years ago and my field results since then on deer and other like animals have verified the value of the comparative results.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-28-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    All those tests may be good but they lack one thing, bone.

Boolit Master
    A 3/16" to 1/4" piece of plywood can be placed in the stack of phone books or newsprint about an inch in to simulate a rib. It does in interesting things to a round nose boolit causing it to veer or tumble violently. In my tests, flat nose boolits, even a small me plat nose, usually expanded more and changed direction less. My most vicious wound channels came after hitting the 3/16" plywood and the round nose boolit started to tumble.

Bones can be placed into gel. Not so with wet newsprint. The thing about bones is that they are quite incidental and random in how they will behave, which ruins much of the comparative utility.

Wet newspaper is as good as any test medium
    The best in my opinion
    So is it as good or better. Why? AFAIK everbody recognizes gel as the gold standard. Ammo companies and ballistic labs ain't shootin' newsprint.

Boolit Master
    they use it cause it looks professional and they have money and can measure data to exact numbers. I bought gel and made a block before, its cool but its expensive and the prep work was kinda allot. and when it spoils you'll get evicted from your town. I don't think fast objects know much difference between squishy water based things. if I really wanted a "realistic" hunting expansion test id just put a small section of meat and ribs right where the bullet will impact, then paper mush, water, fabric to slow it to a stop.

Boolit Master
    some of my HP's ive compared in just water, to fruits, to paper mush, and a very freshly dead chicken in front of a water jug, some the shape of the deformed lead was slightly different but the amount of expansion was all similar

Boolit Buddy
    CuriousShooter, this is a great topic. I would also be interested in seeing any comparative test results of CBs with powder coating and at different hardness day 12 and 18 for example.

Boolit Master
    Just a thought, ballistic gel isn't exact medium to target animals either.

The benefit of ballistic gel is that it is very similar and most importantly....of most importance is it is a very specified medium for scientific testing.

Bullet makers, law enforcement agencies, military R&D all rely on these tests in this very specific medium because it gives consistency by which to test.

It may be much more similar that phone books or water jugs but it's not flesh. Animals are not one density throughout...skin, bone, connective tissue, organ tissue, muscle, nerves and arteries all have varying densities from one to the other much less where on the animal you actually hit...the best medium is post mortem dissection and a wide sample size. I think you do get both here...though often coupled with a healthy dose of "small sample size analysis"....ie, this bullet did this once so therefore it will not perform in 'x' expected manner in the future. Could be true may not be.

Gel test for cast boolits is very lacking....I think given the consistency and year round availability (not hunting season depending) gives is an opportunity to test alot and not many folks have.

For one there's no money in it. By default casters are tightwads and with YouTube getting very picky about who they allow to profit off videos in our interest field not many folks can spend the money on gel, testing environment, video equipment or spend the time to do so....some could....maybe someone will. But with a thousand variables the test script would get real long....I can think of at least a dozen bullets I'd like to try at different velocities in gel off the top of my head right now... I'm sure we all could

Wondering if we couldn't put together a pool to donate a few dollars to here and there and coax someone with the time to run some gel tests for us?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I tried ballistics Gel. It was a royal pain to handle. All said and done, I'm only checking expansion if I'm shooting media. The final word for me is shooting an animal, breathing or roadkill. Water is the easiest, but is too hard on a bullet. Bullet expansion is increased in water compared to organs. Clay works pretty well, but it's very difficult to recover bullets from. Wet newsprint works great. The only problem is having enough. Ballistics gel is not a body simulant, and nobody knowledgeable makes the claim that it is. It is simply the most uniform media used to test bullets comparatively (key word).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I tried ballistics Gel. It was a royal pain to handle. All said and done, I'm only checking expansion if I'm shooting media. The final word for me is shooting an animal, breathing or roadkill. Water is the easiest, but is too hard. Clay works pretty well, but it very difficult to recover bullets from. Wet newsprint works great. The only problem is having enough. Ballistics gel is not a body simulant, and nobody knowledgeable makes the claim that it is. It is simply the most uniform media used to test bullets comparatively (key word).
    Ding ding ding, exactly... consistent test medium

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

If one puts bone in the news paper or what ever.Make sure it is not cook ,just raw because bone gets hard after it is cook ,it is soft when alive or in the raw . Just to give some idea.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Uh..I just shoot deer with them...Haven't lost one yet! That is the extent of my testing...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
    Uh..I just shoot deer with them...Haven't lost one yet! That is the extent of my testing...
    real world testing
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Not a real test by any means I shoot a 2x4 stuck in the ground at the same distance I expect to shoot my deer if the bullet goes through it it will kill the game I'm shooting it not maybe I need a better load.it's worked for more than 50 years I'd still like to see the OPs test results maybe a old dog can learn a new trick....
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In American Rifleman early 1980s there was an article on cast bullets for hunting in which they used water-soaked Washington, DC phone books, which were thoroughly saturated, such that the books swelled up and burst their bindings, then they were stacked on a gurney while the water was streaming off them, being shot at 25 yards and velocities being measured concurrently. Factory .30-30 and .30-06 Remington Core-Lokt and Winchester PowerPoints were used as controls. Tests were conducted with cast bullets of various alloys and velocities. If you have access to bound volumes of American Rifleman pre-Internet, the article(s) are worth lookng up. Another article by George Martin entitled Cast Bullets In Africa showed results of cast bullets fired from the .375 H&H on plains game, impala, kudu, warthog, etc.

Complete agreement with Larry's post above.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I use and will continue to use wet newspapers, magazines, and any other paper to test my bullets. Is it perfect? No! Is it cheap and easy? Yes! Does it provide the data I need? Yes!

I nearly lost a deer back in 2008 that I hit with a Barnes 225gr XPB launched from a 45 Colt rifle at nearly 1700fps. The bullet wasn't designed for that much velocity. Since then I've tested all my bullets in a box of compressed wet newspapers and haven't lost a deer since. My tests have proven which bullets hold up to the velocities I shoot and that's all I could ever ask for.

As a reminder, most ballistic gelatin is considered 10% density for shooting expanding bullets into. 20% is military grade and made for shooting non-expanding bullets into.

Good luck with your test! I look forward to the data.

Thanks, DinnyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190505_141949_1557100629748_001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	247565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190505_141954_1558360815304_001.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	247566Click image for larger version. 

ID:	247566Click image for larger version. 

ID:	247566
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast