Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 375 Winchester question

Boolit Master

375 Winchester question

Hello, been checking the thread on using 30-30 cases for 375 Winchester: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...375-cast-loads

Question, if reforming from 30-30 cases can one try using a 38-55 die set to run a short batch of 375 Wins? I've an RCBS Cowboy die set and a Lee loader in 38-55. I thought I could use the RCBS dies for most of the procedure and crimp with the Lee loader.

Trying out for a friend and want to see if it works fair before getting a set of 375 dies.

Tx.

Boolit Master

I don’t see why not...it’s crimp won’t work. But if just forming ya should be fine.

Fire forming works too.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I use RCBS dies in 38-55 to reload 375 Win. Forming not a problem, likely won't need a crimp.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I did it many times without a problem.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Tx for the input. It's for a friends Marlin and I'm sure he'll like the idea of loading in lieu of $70 box for hard to find ammo.

What you can do about the crimp is to order a custom Lee Factory Crimp Die from Lee directly. I just ordered one made for .43 Spanish, and the cost was only $27, plus you must send them a non-returnable piece of the brass you want to crimp. So you should first make a small run of converted brass using the fire form method, load and shoot it with a full power charge to get the final shape, and then send them one of those.

But, let me say that .375 factory brass can occasionally be found. It's not a regular production item but it is periodically available. I've got a Win. 94 BB and bought 100 rds. of brass when I bought the rifle. It will pretty much last a lifetime for hunting and occasional target practice.

DG

Boolit Master
    Sure can. The RCBS 38-55 dies are all I've ever used for loading my .375 Win's. My chamber is a bit on the large side, so after fire-forming. I don't run them all the way into the size die. Just enough to properly grip the boolit. I annealed and blew out 20 or so .30-30 cases and they worked fine, though they were a bit short. Check the chamber depth on the rifle and see what case length it will actually accommodate, since many .375 Win chambers are cut long, probably due to the expectation that someone would pull the trigger on a .38-55 too long for it and wreck their rifle. My chamber is nearly 2.1" and will easily chamber 2.080" .38-55 cases, but not the 2.125" cases. YMMV. When I got mine, new .375 Win cases weren't available and I settled for new Starline .38-55's, but they do an occasional run of .375 Win's. I shoot full power handloads in the Starline .38-55's and they have shown no ill effects.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 09-03-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. For trials I hope the dies I have would be enough to get by. I've 6 375 cases but have a few more 30-30's to try. I've seen Starline has them, but again for trials I didn't want to have him drop the funds right away.

If the 375 owner gets into it I'll let him get dies and turn him on to loading and maybe casting.

Boolit Master
    About 20 years ago I talked to Jay Postman (RIP) OF RCBS Technical Services. He said the .375 FL sizer is about .005 larger than the .38-55 sizer due to the thicker brass used in the .375.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    About 20 years ago I talked to Jay Postman (RIP) OF RCBS Technical Services. He said the .375 FL sizer is about .005 larger than the .38-55 sizer due to the thicker brass used in the .375.
    That was my concern with the 38-55 dies and Win 375 brass. I may load a few to see and learn how it works, will use 30-30 or 38-55 brass otherwise.

Boolit Master
    I have measured my RCBS .38-55 and .375 Win dies and found the .375 FL was larger by .005.
    It is my memory that the .375 (larger FL die) would be just right for minimum sizing of the .38-55 brass.
    A ,38-55 would size the .375 a little more than necessary.
    However if you are using thinner .30-30 brass the .38-55 dies might work fine. The best way to tell is load a few dummy rounds and see if the bullet is firmly gripped in the case mouth.

I also have a set of Lee .38-55 dies and the FL die is marked .375. While not perfect you can probably make ammo that goes bang.

QUOTE=30calflash;4717415]That was my concern with the 38-55 dies and Win 375 brass. I may load a few to see and learn how it works, will use 30-30 or 38-55 brass otherwise.[/QUOTE]
    EDG

Boolit Master

That is what I use. No problems.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Starline now sells 375 winchester brass
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran