Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Makes a Great Bullet Lube?

Boolit Man

What Makes a Great Bullet Lube?

I've been reloading for 20+ years but am new to bullet casting. Recently, I was gifted with a box of used molds, melting pot, and an old RCBS LAM which was missing parts. RCBS was gracious enough to replace the missing parts to get the LAM back in action. After pouring over the threads here, I bought some tubes of Carnauba Blue from WLL. Sounds silly but I settled on the blue because I like the color. Anyhow, I think it is working out fine. I mean, the lube flows without a heater, sticks in the grooves, and looks real pretty and shoots great too. My question is, am I really using the right lube? What is the criteria which determines which lube you should be using? I am mostly casting for 9mm, .38, /45, and 300 AAC. Might someday want to cast and shoot some .308. Pretty much all my casting, lubing, and shooting is done in 50-90 degree weather. I store my finished bullets in my beer fridge so the lube don't melt off. I think I am doing it right but experience has taught me that nothing is ever that easy. Am I missing something? Is there something else I should be using?
    Last edited by DiverJay; 08-28-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: TYPO

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    First of all welcome to the madness that is bullet casting. Secondly, I would suggest you down load Glen Fryxell's book From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet guide for Hangunners. It
    is a pdf file and will probably answer your questions about bullet lube. Thirdly your choice of lube is good one and I have been using it for a couple of years in .308 rifle bullets.
    with good results. White label lubes are good stuff and there differing opinions on which one is the best. Good luch with your casting.

Boolit Master

My 450 hasn't been out of the box for quite a while since I started powder-coating.
    Less mess & less lead handling.
    Anyways, Carnauba Blue should be fine, as any flowable WLL, if you wanna keep shooting bare lubed CBs.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master

I've been at this casting and lubing thing since 1967 , handgun shooting mostly ,
    here are my criteria :

1.) No leading.
    2.) No heat required to flow . Hard lubes are not as effective as soft in my experience .

That's about it . My needs have been met first with the old Lyman black lube , next came the NRA alox-beeswax lube until the alox was changed . A lube maker advised me that his lithium-beeswax lube was actually a better lube than the alox-beeswax , this was 1978 and he was right...I'm still using it . He no longer makes it but gave me the recipe
    Lithium-Beeswax lube , 1 part Lucas Red-N-Tacky lithium grease / 3 parts Beeswax , measurements by volume .

Sounds like you might have found your lube ..if it works , use it !
    I have a source for beeswax and a tube of Lucas R-N-T grease is available at any wally mart , if it wasn't so easy to make I would buy it .

Welcome to the forum .
    Don't listen to the powder coating bunch...they like to start trouble .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the referral. I downloaded Glen Fryxell's book as you suggested and it is quite extensive. Good thing I am able to goof off and read it while I am at work. LOL. Going to take a lot to digest and I am sure it will leave me with as many questions as answers. Good thing there are those on this board willing to help. It is appreciated.

Boolit Man
    Based on your criteria, it looks like I have #1 and #2 covered. Good news. As far as the powder coating goes, I am not doing this to save time or money. I am doing this for fun. I already have more plated and jacketed bullets on-hand then I'll ever shoot in my lifetime. Just looking to expand my knowledge base and carry on a time honored tradition that was once a staple craft of all shooters. However, I would like to do so without screwing up any of my firearms. That's where advice from good people like you comes in. Thank you.

Boolit Master

I make my own lube. I don't like being dependent on others. So i make what i can.

Most anything will work for low pressure and low velocity.

Once you get into low velocity rifle and temp swings it gets more important to have a good quality lube. No experience with White Label, but with great revues i wouldnt hesitate to the push the envelope with their lube.

For home made lubes my requirements is it work for pistol, revolver and revolver. And it holds up to 32 to 110 drgrees F. Soap lubes do quite well for me. Here in the humid north florida. I use SL-68B.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

DiverJay,
    You have entered into the realm of the arcane and conditional.
    I started casting in '76, designed cast cartridges as a hobby in the decade following and I'm still learning new fun stuff. As with so many things in life I suspect that you will find there to be the right way, the wrong way and the way that works.

The American reloading and shooting public is the largest small arms R&D lab that will ever exist on planet Earth.
    To say it is a blessing to be here at this time would be but the grossest understatement.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Very simple lube which works great with smokeless powder loads is 1 part ATF to three or four parts of beeswax, depending upon the consistency you want. Pretty red color if you like that.

If you want something more traditional for blackpowder substitute olive oil for the ATF.
    Also simple and effective.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the old 50/50. Got a bunch of it when I bought my Star from someone in a retirement home.

Pistol target velocity lube can, as mentioned above be most anything that works for you. Rifle lube has to stand up to much higher friction generated temperatures and not vaporize before the bullet can use it. Now there is a topic for contention.

When I got back into cast several years ago, I was looking for a softish lube that worked in hot or cold weather and would put my first cold bbl. shot in the group. At speeds from 550 FPS. To 2600 FPS., I use Ben’s Red or Ben’s BLL for everything year round regardless of the temp.
    It just flat works for me.
    I have’nt found anything better or even close to those two for my needs!

Boolit Master
    Best lube is one made out of easy to get stuff.
    And easy to make.

I like 60/40 beeswax/ vasalene.

Making LOOB* for black powder I tend to use it for everything I can. Sometimes I get a little wild and crazy, adding something extra when if an idea comes along.

*Lanolin, olive oil and beeswax.

Banned
    Your going to get a lot of answers here. Some will tell you to rush right out and buy a book on casting and reloading which isn't necessary in mho. So, what makes a great bullet lube? My opinion here again it would be any lube that prohibits lead fouling in the barrel. You will need to learn several things in casting ...my opinion again ...if bullets are frosty they are a little hot but still good to use. If they are wrinkled they are too cold raise the heat. Lube.. purchase something that allows one to shoot without leading with a bullet that is sized correctly. I tried the famous "red concoction here on the forum" and I leaded like a can't say the word. Tried the NRA formula which works fine but is too soft and finally settled for the "Blue lube" which is easy for these old eyes to see stays in the bullet lube grooves and works fine for this person.

Now... you will be bombarded with "You should powder coat", "Use the spray on lube", use this lube or that one. In the end its your choice which should be YOUR decision based on your experiences not 20K other members. I would suggest that you cast some bullets, get the correct bullet size for the bore and choose a lube. Load a few and go out and shoot them and record your results. Some here will tell you that different lubes will result in accuracy and seem to have evidence to that but being a skeptic I would unless I was there question the validity of such tests and or the methods of acquiring the data and the controls in place.

So, what makes a good bullet lube?

For me its one that stays in the lube groove, doesn't cause the bullets to lead and is somewhat economical. I gave up on trying the "Red" or the Green or the purple lube simply because the results never were obtained for me. Now I just buy it and I can count on good results every time.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the advice. I am trying to make as few mistakes as possible here. Based on the feedback, I'd say I am on the right track. So far, I am digging the WLL blue lube. Fills the groove with little to no effort and stays there. No signs of leading. Good to go. I know there is no one size fits all type lube but this one might be close. Placed another order to make sure I don't run out.

Boolit Grand Master

I have played with making my own lube for several years and also used some recipes from Brennan's "Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert" (Beeswax softened with Marvel's Mystery Oil, or olive oil, or vegetable oil, etc. worked quite well on my cast 150 gr wadcutters for my 38 and 240 SWC in my light 44 Mags.). When I'm trying a new lube I'll shoot some and check the muzzle to see if the lube "ran out" before the bullet left the barrel. Also check barrel for leading. A good lube is second to bullet to barrel fit and when a bullet is properly sized most lubes perform quite well. Like 6bg6ga mentioned you'll get many "I use..." answers and suggestions but it ain't rocket science and ease f use is a big consideration too...

I've tried every thing from alox to 45-45-10 to Amsoil (metal preserver) Caterpillar boom lube, simple 2 ingredient mixes to exotic multi ingredient and complex recipes. All work to some extent, some better than others and it was fun. I usually send new casters to White Label Lubes for starters...

8/30. Corrected Marvelux to Amsoil. Haven't used either in 20 years...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-30-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I've tried a lot of Lubes over the years and settled on Carnauba Red for almost all of my cast. Every now and then I'll get a wild hair and use some LLA , let it dry and tumble lube some rifle boolits with JPW as an overcoat. Those shoot really well, with no leading.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have played with making my own lube for several years and also used some recipes from Brennan's "Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert" (Beeswax softened with Marvel's Mystery Oil, or olive oil, or vegetable oil, etc. worked quite well on my cast 150 gr wadcutters for my 38 and 240 SWC in my light 44 Mags.). When I'm trying a new lube I'll shoot some and check the muzzle to see if the lube "ran out" before the bullet left the barrel. Also check barrel for leading. A good lube is second to bullet to barrel fit and when a bullet is properly sized most lubes perform quite well. Like 6bg6ga mentioned you'll get many "I use..." answers and suggestions but it ain't rocket science and ease f use is a big consideration too...

I've tried every thing from alox to 45-45-10 to Marvelux (metal preserver) Caterpillar boom lube, simple 2 ingredient mixes to exotic multi ingredient and complex recipes. All work to some extent, some better than others and it was fun. I usually send new casters to White Label Lubes for starters...
    Logic says send new casters to White Label Lubes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am in the camp of buying lube. Not worth the hassle or minimal savings of making your own, until the day comes I may need to....then there are plenty of good recipes.

For pistol bullets, Ben’s Liquid Lube is the easiest stuff and reports of it working in rifle loads as well. Just tumble in the stuff and let air dry. How simple is that? No baking is a plus for me

I use commercial lube in the Star because it is the fastest way to get the job done if sizing is needed. For bullets that do not require sizing...BLL
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast