Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Makes a Great Bullet Lube?

Boolit Grand Master
    BLL works great !!!!! ( Of course , I'm more than a bit biased )

Boolit Grand Master

I'm totally unbiased but yes, Ben's Liquid Lube works...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    BLL works great !!!!!
    I was going to ask what I would do with my LAM if I switched to tumble lube but then I read on your site you do both. Question, does the use of BLL over a sized and lubed bullet inhibit the function of the lube in the lube groove? Does the lube in the lube groove still melt and flow as it exits the barrel?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, it does.

Ben

Amen on the BLL. I use it as a stand alone lube in everything rifle and handgun.
    2 light coats for handgun and 3 light coats for rifle. And yeah, works great as an overcoat on top of your regular lube too.

I'm a believer in BLL, too! All I use any more. ( I might sneak in some Bens Red in the future, too).
    A deplorable that votes!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am in the camp of buying lube. Not worth the hassle or minimal savings of making your own, until the day comes I may need to....then there are plenty of good recipes.

For pistol bullets, Ben’s Liquid Lube is the easiest stuff and reports of it working in rifle loads as well. Just tumble in the stuff and let air dry. How simple is that? No baking is a plus for me

I use commercial lube in the Star because it is the fastest way to get the job done if sizing is needed. For bullets that do not require sizing...BLL
    I tried Ben's Red and leaded the heck out of one of my 1911's. I cleaned the lead out and went to a store bought lube (White Label) and never looked back.

That’s unfortunate about the leading in your 1911.
    As far as Ben’s Red lube though, I use it in 45 colt with zero problems and all the way to 2600 FPS. In 35 whelen and 308 rifles with never a leading problem. I’ve had other lubes fail before 2600 FPS., but not Ben’s Red or BLL.

White label lubes are indeed a great choice for those that don’t care to make their own lube...glad to hear you found something for your 1911 problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I'm a believer in BLL, too! All I use any more. ( I might sneak in some Bens Red in the future, too).
    Good to see you still around !!
    I still use a ton of BLL too... just so quick and easy... gotta love it lol.
    Have you got that 35 whelen ready for the up coming season?

Banned

I have kind of gone to just using standard NRA formula stuff for everything, except occasionally using LLA. Seems to be pretty good stuff all around and I am too lazy to make my own lube.

I did make a small batch of the Ben's liquid lube and used it on pistol bullets and it worked fine, I just never got around to making a bunch of it. Eventually, I'll get back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Good to see you still around !!
    I still use a ton of BLL too... just so quick and easy... gotta love it lol.
    Have you got that 35 whelen ready for the up coming season?
    I figure that I have enough of those yellow cans for my great, great, great, grand kids to use BLL for awhile.

That 35 Whelen is ready but, no moose permit again this year.
    A deplorable that votes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I figure that I have enough of those yellow cans for my great, great, great, grand kids to use BLL for awhile.

That 35 Whelen is ready but, no moose permit again this year.
    That’s a bummer on the moose permit. Hope you get it next time!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DiverJay View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I am trying to make as few mistakes as possible here. Based on the feedback, I'd say I am on the right track. So far, I am digging the WLL blue lube. Fills the groove with little to no effort and stays there. No signs of leading. Good to go. I know there is no one size fits all type lube but this one might be close. Placed another order to make sure I don't run out.
    You hit the nail on the head.

If you read through the Lube recipe Sticky, you will find hundreds of recipes. If you look for commercially made lubes, you will likely find more different lubes than you'll have time, in this lifetime, to try.

Usually, a lube has one or more weak points...an extreme condition where it will fail. The trick for us boolit casters, is to identify that extreme condition that is in our application, and find a lube that doesn't fail during that extreme condition. If you have no extreme conditions, likely any lube will work successfully for you, I've even heard of a lube made with 100% crayons working successfully.

One extreme condition that has shown itself to me, is having cast boolit ammo in a parked car on a hot sunny day. Temps can reach 160º+ and most boolit lubes have a melt temp lower than that. That and a few other reasons is why I use SL68B.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-it&highlight=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    you will likely find more different lubes than you'll have time, in this lifetime, to try.

[/url]
    Therein lies the problem. I am at a point in life where I don't have all the time in the world to play around experimenting with different lubes. I'd rather get my best choices on paper and zero it in from there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I've been using the old 50/50. Got a bunch of it when I bought my Star from someone in a retirement home.
    Bought my star from a guy retiring as well along with a bunch of lube. The black stuff and a bunch of Alox/beeswax. Smells like honey when I size and shoot. Can be a bit messy.

Boolit Master

Knowing where or state you live might help. Be the day I keep boolits in a fridge.

Lube that's simple to blend and works. My current favorite is BLL.

Boolit Grand Master

3 parts Beeswax
    1 part Lithium Grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky)

This recipe is from Garth Choate , with the note " This lube is better than the Alox-Beeswax since the old alox formula was changed "

My time tested soft lube ... has never failed and I always come back to it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I tried making my own lube and it worked good, however for the price and the quality of White Label Lubes by Lars I can see no reason for ever making anymore. I use Carnauba Red for everything and if you don't have a heater one of his other lubes will work just as well. https://lsstuff.com/

Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12