Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traded $170 and three boxes of 5.56 ammo for a 1966’ Norinco SKS!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Traded $170 and three boxes of 5.56 ammo for a 1966’ Norinco SKS!

I’ve been trying to trade my lee enfield sporter for one and came across a 66’ Norinco SKS on armslist the other day no my area. It was listed for $400. The owner was going to trade guns but said he needed cash more. I told him I’d have to hold out for a while as my gun fund was a little short...$250. He emailed me back the next day and said he’d accept $250 plus some sort of trade for ammo, etc. He wanted 5.56 ammo on trade. I had three boxes of 150 count 5.56 American Eagle I bought from sally word last year for around $36 to $46 a box if I remember? Anyways he said he give me $60 a box trade on them. So for $170 cash and three boxes of j words I’d never use I ended up with a 1966 Norinco SKS. I remember seeing crates of these brand new in the box unissued bs k in 90’ for $89 to $129 with accessories...so I still had a hard time justifying it.lol I did google the value of a dollar back in 1986, the year he said his dad bought this rifle directly off the boat. It said a $100 back in 86’ was equivalent to $229 in 2018. So know wonder I still was a little hesitant...same price...and I’m still cheap.lol. I turned my nose up to them back then along with the MAK 90’s they had piles up for $249...sure wish I had one of them now...I did like the MAK90’s!

The gun has a milled trigger guard, and screwed in barrel. Trigger is nice and light but had some gritty creep. I’ll fix that. The spike bayonet came with it but was missing the spring, screw, and lug handle. I ordered a set from Numerics for $11.25. He also gave me a box of HP ammo and a two spouted chineses Oiler with it. The bluing looks like new and the stock has a few dings but overall looks great!

All the numbers match. I took it apart to inspect and there’s even etched numbers on the gas tube and some other parts. The seller told me his dad shot ONE round through it and it’s been sitting in the safe ever since. He had a M1 30 carbine for $600 but sold it before I could look a5 it as well.

Anyone shoot cast through it? I’m sure the days of $1.99 for 20 rounds of ammo are gone too? Lol

I’ll have to start looking for brass now. I had a pile of Lapua brass but gave it to another member here a while ago.

I had one like yours and it shot much better than the pinned barrel Norinco and even the Russian that followed it. I'm off to a good start using cast in my current 7.62x39 but is is an AR15. You've got a good one there. Leave the original magazine on it and you'll probably never have a jam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nice SKS. I think you did well. Back "in the day" I sold many of these, and still own several. I prefer them to the AK as being more of a rifle, and its accuracy may surprise you. If you avoid corrosive ammo (this should be no problem if you're a handloader) and maintain it properly it should last a lifetime. The Chinese made a awful lot of them, and the ones they made potentially for issue to their own military were much nicer than the ones they made for commercial export. Just from what I can see looking at your photos I'd say you have one of the better ones.

It is possible to get your thumb caught in the cleaning kit compartment in the stock and have to get a friend with a screwdriver to take the buttplate off to free you. Ask me how I know.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Nice SKS! In 1994 I bought 5 for $85 each with the chest bandoleer, cleaning kit, sling and oil bottle NEW in the box. My SKSs like the Lyman #311410 130 grain RN cast bollit and IMR 4198.

Adam

Nice ! If we only new. SKS’s, Mosin’s, M1 Carbines, etc., in the early 90’s you could get them cheap and now you are happy just to get them at any price.

I have had good luck with PC in rifles with gas ports.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Appears you have done really well! One little thing all SKS owners should understand and check is the hammer/sear engagement angles. Negative - neutral - positive, you or someones life could depend on it. The safety only blocks trigger movement, not the make go boom parts.

Boolit Grand Master
    + 1 for staying with the original mag.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first sks in 87. It was a Chinese military made in 55 I thank. I paid 179$ for it . Then in the middle 90’s they where importing them and selling them for79$ . The older Chinese military rifles are so much better quality shoot much better. A few years ago I got one of the cheep import ones for 200$ it’s not to bad but the older one will shoot so much better at 200 yards group wise. The newer one shoots just fine but bigger groups.

I'd say it is worth double what you have into it.

My Yugo likes 20 gr of IMR 4895 under the Lee .312 185 gr bullet cast fairly soft with range scrap and some wheel weights and a gas check.

Love my Yugo with the ladder sights and granade launcher on the end.
    I'd of snapped up that one in a heartbeat.

I plan on leaving the magazine on. I want to keep it all original. I’d like a yugo one as well.

I would assume I’ll need brass casings for reloading?

The trigger has a lot of travel and feels like a three stage trigger. I will end up taking a little off the sear but keep the same angle. The trigger is pretty light right now the way it is but way too much gritty feel along with it stopping twice along the way.

The only thing I disliked was the lack of a reciever sight and the itty bitty length of pull. Keep the firing pin clean and dry, too.

I basically bought it because I wanted an all original gun with numbers matching for collector value. Going to leave it completely stock. I seems these $89 mass produced rifles have been climbing 400% to 1000% in price the last decade thanks to dirty old Billy Clinton, the Cigar violator. I wonder if if Trump could get it lifted? I really didn't want one when they were $89. Lol. But after restoring my M1917 and having fun with it I wanted a Semiauto military rifle to go with it. I’ll probably look for an AK 47 or mak90 next.

I was hoping to find a NIB unissued, made for US sales but I ran into this one first. Couldn’t pass it up on how cheap it was.

I have really long arms and am tall so I’m sure the length of pull will be too short for me as well. I use to have a rubber slip on limb saver butt pad I gave away years ago that would have added a a good 2.5-3 inches.

I worked with a guy back in 2000’ that needed money. He sold me his SKS that had plastic folding stock and converted to shoot AK magazines. Every third shot that would jam so I sold it for 250 bucks a couple weeks later to buy my first varmint rifle. I think I still have 10 rounds in a white box laying around from it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-29-2019 at 10:44 AM.

With the current anti-gun, especially anti-semi-auto feelings I doubt if you'll ever see Chinese semi-autos imported again. And, although Clinton was largely responsible for the so-called "Assault Weapons Ban", it was George H.W. Bush that stopped importation of Chinese semi-autos by executive order.

As I indicated earlier, I like these rifles and own several. I can see by your photos that your specimen is better finished than most, with a better polish and blue, and a nicer stock. I own a couple just like yours. They were made for possible military issue, either for the Chinese militias or as foreign military aid, and are noticeably nicer than the NIB $89 rifles that came in the box with blond finish stocks. At one time I had quite a variety of these rifles in my shop for sale, and was able to closely examine the differences, so I assure you that what you've got is better than the more common one. I even had some very, very used specimens that looked like they had all the finish sandblasted away and then soaked in crank case oil. I got tired of looking at one that just sat there and wouldn't find a new owner, so I remodeled it into a sporter. The only good things that it had going for it prior to remodeling was a very nice chrome bore and a screw-in barrel. It is a NORINCO. I'm not a big guy, but you're correct about the length of pull problem for us occidentals. I've seen several solutions including gluing on a piece of wood to lengthen the stock, but it's always noticeable, and you loose the buttstock storage capability. The slip on rubber extension pad is the best and most common solution for those unable to adapt to the short stock.

Attachment 247515Attachment 247516
    Click to enlarge.

As for acquiring a MAC-90 -- I had one of those also. They weren't on the market as long as the SKS was, cost a bit more to begin with, and you're correct that the prices on them have gone through the roof. But again, opinion only, even at the time they weren't the best AK-type carbine available, and had that weird thumbhole stock made to get around the Assault Weapons Ban prohibition of a pistol grip. I sold mine for twice what I paid for it and was happy to see it go. I replaced it with a Romanian version, a cheapie as AKs go, just for a gunsmithing specimen to have in my shop to refer to if an AK should come in for repair. One never did -- AKs are very stout. The Assault Weapons Ban passed away, as it should have, but quite a home grown AK industry developed to circumvent it and the Bush import ban, and were it me I'd look to something made here in the U.S. as likely being of better initial quality and a warranty easier to collect on. I'll kind of bet, though, that when you eventually acquire an AK of some sort you'll come to agree that the SKS is more of a rifle, great for all the things rifles are great for, and that the AK is great for spraying lots of lead but much less fun for serious target practice or hunting.

DG
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 08-29-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Sp.

Boolit Grand Master

When the first came in I must have sold 50 of them and never thought they would be more than a 75 dollar truck gun. Now most all I sold here were ruined by cheap corrosive ammo and they are a 300 dollar gun...who'd a thunk it! My son killed his first deer with one of these and thought it was the best gun ever made. You got a good buy there and it will like cast bullets.

[QUOTE=KCSO;4716949]When the first came in I must have sold 50 of them and never thought they would be more than a 75 dollar truck gun. Now most all I sold here were ruined by cheap corrosive ammo and they are a 300 dollar gun...

Man, isn't that the truth! For some reason those spending the $89 price thought they didn't need to clean them! I had one fellow bring in a Ruger Mini-30 that he loaned to a "friend". The friend kept it for two years and two deer seasons and used Chinese corrosive ammo in it. You could not see through the bore. Ruger wouldn't sell me a new barrel for it, but on the plus side they re-barreled it themselves for $85.

Back to the SKS in particular, I recall that the main Chinese variations were NORINCO and POLY TECH, with the NORINCOs thought to be better, and screw-in and pinned barrels, with the preference going to the screwed models. But, several customers got great accuracy with the pinned barrel models also. Most had the chromed bore, but some did not, so that is still something to look for. I imagine that not too many of the non-chromed bores survived the Chinese ammo.

The last trip I took to a formal shooting range was with a friend who had a Russian SKS. He complained about having to spend around $12 for a box of Winchester ammo, which he thought should run about $4.50. We were shooting at 100 yards. I had a tripod mounted spotting scope, admittedly not the most expensive, and he kept asking me where he was hitting. I looked and looked, then let him look, and we couldn't see any holes. When it came time to change the targets we found all 10 of the shots he had fired in a quarter-sized hole dead center in the X. This was open sights--no scope. We had both thought that what we were seeing was the X. He was floating on a cloud and went right down and spent another $12. Said he'd never sell the rifle. One of those days one doesn't forget. His is like mine (I have a Russian in my accumulation), just like new, and exhibiting a lot workmanship. Much nicer than most Russian-made weapons.

DG

Boolit Master

Nice. Have you got brass for it????
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

My brother bought a Mak90 and it was recalled by the importer because some part was left out that prevented easy full auto conversion. My friend with an ffl had to round up the ones he sold and everyone got a refund. That Mak90(Janet Reno Special) was junk compared to the Palmetto my nephew owns. Sorry for the detour; DG- I've never said "pretty" and "SKS" in the same sentence until now.

Boolit Master
    My sks would also shoot 200 yards no scope base ball size groups 10 or 20 rounds. For me I thought that was very good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast