MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traded $170 and three boxes of 5.56 ammo for a 1966’ Norinco SKS!

Nice find. I really like SKS rifles in original configuration. I'm big but I don't mind the short stock either. I had an older norinco like that and put about 4k rounds through it before trading it. It broke the extractor, and it doubled so I replaced the sear/ mag latch spring and it was fine. Mine was chrome lined if I recall correctly. It would do about 3-4" at 100 yards. Stone reliable, I don't think it ever jammed. Don't have one currently.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My brother bought a Mak90 and it was recalled by the importer because some part was left out that prevented easy full auto conversion. My friend with an ffl had to round up the ones he sold and everyone got a refund. That Mak90(Janet Reno Special) was junk compared to the Palmetto my nephew owns. Sorry for the detour; DG- I've never said "pretty" and "SKS" in the same sentence until now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the heads up.. no mak90’s. I also thought the thumbhole gave it a coolness factor. I’ve been reading it’s one of the sold for US retail only rifles...like the newer SKS...turned me off. I’ll have to find an original AK or one of the newer, current production, US made ones. I got my finger caught in the Chinese finger trap...butt stock, but found the cleaning kit hiding in it. It looks like it’s never been used.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    With the current anti-gun, especially anti-semi-auto feelings I doubt if you'll ever see Chinese semi-autos imported again. And, although Clinton was largely responsible for the so-called "Assault Weapons Ban", it was George H.W. Bush that stopped importation of Chinese semi-autos by executive order.

As I indicated earlier, I like these rifles and own several. I can see by your photos that your specimen is better finished than most, with a better polish and blue, and a nicer stock. I own a couple just like yours. They were made for possible military issue, either for the Chinese militias or as foreign military aid, and are noticeably nicer than the NIB $89 rifles that came in the box with blond finish stocks. At one time I had quite a variety of these rifles in my shop for sale, and was able to closely examine the differences, so I assure you that what you've got is better than the more common one. I even had some very, very used specimens that looked like they had all the finish sandblasted away and then soaked in crank case oil. I got tired of looking at one that just sat there and wouldn't find a new owner, so I remodeled it into a sporter. The only good things that it had going for it prior to remodeling was a very nice chrome bore and a screw-in barrel. It is a NORINCO. I'm not a big guy, but you're correct about the length of pull problem for us occidentals. I've seen several solutions including gluing on a piece of wood to lengthen the stock, but it's always noticeable, and you loose the buttstock storage capability. The slip on rubber extension pad is the best and most common solution for those unable to adapt to the short stock.

Attachment 247515Attachment 247516
    Click to enlarge.

As for acquiring a MAC-90 -- I had one of those also. They weren't on the market as long as the SKS was, cost a bit more to begin with, and you're correct that the prices on them have gone through the roof. But again, opinion only, even at the time they weren't the best AK-type carbine available, and had that weird thumbhole stock made to get around the Assault Weapons Ban prohibition of a pistol grip. I sold mine for twice what I paid for it and was happy to see it go. I replaced it with a Romanian version, a cheapie as AKs go, just for a gunsmithing specimen to have in my shop to refer to if an AK should come in for repair. One never did -- AKs are very stout. The Assault Weapons Ban passed away, as it should have, but quite a home grown AK industry developed to circumvent it and the Bush import ban, and were it me I'd look to something made here in the U.S. as likely being of better initial quality and a warranty easier to collect on. I'll kind of bet, though, that when you eventually acquire an AK of some sort you'll come to agree that the SKS is more of a rifle, great for all the things rifles are great for, and that the AK is great for spraying lots of lead but much less fun for serious target practice or hunting.

DG
    Thanks for the evaluation on my rifle. I keep thinking it would be nice to have bought one of the unissued, that literally looking brand new w/o scratches, made for US retail sales but after your advise it sounds like I got very lucky and picked up a better quality rifle than the newer pined versions.

I was thinking about rubbing some Johnson’s paste wax on the stock to preserve it...is this a good idea? ...along with the metal to protect it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-29-2019 at 09:53 PM.

I can't see anything wrong with using wax to preserve a rifle, and have been doing so on many of mine for years, both metal and wood. I have no experience with Johnson's wax, although I see it mentioned repeatedly and favorably many times on this forum. What I use is Trewax, also a paste wax that comes in a can, that is a carnauba wax that was originally made for hardwood floors. It comes two ways, clear and kind of a sand color, so you'd want to get the clear if you can find it. The last time I bought some, about 1992, I had to order through a small hardware store and bought a case of 4 cans, so I'm set for life. You'll find that you use a very small amount. If you just place your warm finger on top of the wax for a few seconds it will melt enough onto your finger so that when you apply it to the surface it will be visible. Apply it in a circular motion so as to fill in any pores (wood) or tiny pits (metal), then after it dries for perhaps half-an-hour buff it with a soft cloth. I don't use it on all my guns, because if it's going to see some outdoor use in damp/wet weather then an oil may be better, and if you put oil on an already waxed surface the oil dissolves the wax and you get sort of a mess that's harder to clean. You'll want to think it through on each firearm you consider preserving with wax. Certainly great for wall hangers and safe queens. Good for rifles/shotguns used at ranges on sunny days. Probably not the best choice for hunting in rainy, snowy conditions -- but nevertheless still a good choice for the wooden stock, but maybe not the metal under those circumstances.

When I was a kid, maybe 15 or 16 (ancient history) my dad took me to the Cow Palace in San Francisco (Brisbane, actually) to the Outdoor and Boats show. All sorts of sporting goods, including a very large display of collector grade Winchesters. There was a fellow manning the display booth, and I asked him who owned all those rifles. "Me and another guy who isn't here right now." Then I asked him how they kept them from rusting. I guess he was a little annoyed at a kid asking questions, so he kind of snapped back, "We clean them!" That kind of P.O.ed my dad, who said to the guy, "He asked you a civil question. Why don't you give him a civil answer." The guy became a little apologetic and said, "We use wax. Whenever we clean them we put on a thin coat of wax and buff it off. That's why they look so nice." Well, that was the first time I ever heard of using wax on the surface of firearms (in about 1957) and have used it on selected firearms ever since with good results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    When the first came in I must have sold 50 of them and never thought they would be more than a 75 dollar truck gun. Now most all I sold here were ruined by cheap corrosive ammo and they are a 300 dollar gun...who'd a thunk it! My son killed his first deer with one of these and thought it was the best gun ever made. You got a good buy there and it will like cast bullets.
    KCSO,

The world is full of duffeses! You advise many folks did not PROPERLY clean an SKS after firing Corrosive ammo. That same "Problem" occurred throughout the 1960s and 1970s when folks shot the Cheap $5.00 per hundred CORROSIVE surplus ammo in nice military surplus arms and had NO Clue how to properly clean a bore! WATER is easily obtainable, but most folks never got a Clue, so their bores "Rotted."

We do have a Second Amendment Right to Arms. I wish there had been a Footnote about Proper Cleaning of said Arms!

Adam

Found a left over box I had laying around from 2 decades ago in a zip lock bag with 17 rounds left inside. If I remember right you could buy these for $1.99 a box back in 89’.

Boolit Master
    Not 100%, but I would treat that as corrosive.

Boolit Master

Yup, I remember these well. We sold crates of them for 99 & 129$!!! I shot a few they always worked well. Never owned one. Made for lil
    People I always said. Then there was the paratrooper models. Longer lop. I almost bought one of those but didnt.

Your right on woulda shoulda...

That and when the AUG came in the country at 600.... augh dont make Me remember please...
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I'm not allowed to own one of those now in my country thanks to some nutjob.

The SKS is a rifle I have always liked and wanted.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

That ammo is Norinco
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Yup, I remember these well. We sold crates of them for 99 & 129$!!! I shot a few they always worked well. Never owned one. Made for lil
    People I always said. Then there was the paratrooper models. Longer lop. I almost bought one of those but didnt.

Your right on woulda shoulda...

That and when the AUG came in the country at 600.... augh dont make Me remember please...
    That’s right, I remember a crate was about he same as the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I'm not allowed to own one of those now in my country thanks to some nutjob.

The SKS is a rifle I have always liked and wanted.

Thanks to few here we can’t get the Chinese rilfes and ammo imported now unless they have been sitting in another country for at least 20 years. Classic firearms are selling ones right now for $320 that look like they should have been thrown away.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-31-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Back in the mid 90s in GA I bought a Russian SKS new in cosmo for 79.99. The Chinese ones were 59.99 if memory serves me correct. They were cheaper than a .22. People were buying cases of them and also cases of the 1440 battle box/sardine cans were super cheap too. Folks were rolling out to the parking lot with handtrucks of rifle cases and cases of ammo.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    The little SKS is one of the few really unrated rifles its has decent accuracy darn near indestructible it will feed most any ammunition and out to 300 yards it will drop medium size game pretty easily I have taken a few deer and hogs with mine.

Boolit Master

My "Chromed barrels are GOOD" experience came when I was walking the rows at the Pomona gun show in the '90's or early 2000's before L.A. County shut us down. Came across a table with a lot of high end stuff on it, with, oddly, an EXTREMELY ratty Norinco SKS positioned in a cradle as if it had some kind of place of honor. Dented, rusted, and maybe even the stock held together with wire. I asked the owner "what gives" and he proceeded to show me the "capture paperwork" of a Vietnam bring-back. Despite the exterior, the bore looked like it had just come off the mill.

Solid guns - I think because even though the Soviets had this new and slick little intermediate cartridge, their engineers brains were still in the mode of making full-power battle rifles. I have trouble imagining what it would take to wear one out.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I picked up a box of 40 Tula FMJ ammo for Wally World for $10.42 and took it out to try after I cleaned it. I found a zombie target(sorry...I despise the zombie shooting thing,lol) for a $1 at the LGS so I figured I’d try it out. I rested the rifle on a sandbag to test the sights at 25 yards to see if they needed adjusting. I loaded one round up in the gun to make sure it wouldn’t slam fire, aimed between the eyes and shot a hair high and left. I then loaded 2 rounds in it. One I hair high and one in the eye. It functioned fine so loaded up 10 and rapid fired free handed it as fast as I could pull the trigger and accurately aim. All 13 stayed in the head...

I think I’m ready for an apocalypse.lol

I should have tried the bayonet on the target as well but forgot.

It’s definitely a fun little rifle...I think I’m going to need some more of them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-14-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12