MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Olympic centerfire pistol ammo

Boolit Master

Olympic centerfire pistol ammo

Does anyone know what ammunition is used in Olympic centerfire pistol competition?
    It would make sense everyone uses the same brand. Talking about .32 pistols now. Do they shoot wad cutters which as I have heard are hard to find. Manufacturer, bullet type, weight & a guess at muzzle velocity?

Boolit Master
    Been years since I competed but IIRC the few 32 pistols I saw were European brands and shot 32 S&W wadcutter ammo. The design of the guns was limited to WC length ammo. In Europe 32 WC was/is common, not sure if it loaded here or not. Only data I could find in my limited library was a 98 gr factory WC at 700 fps. Several reloading manuals list loads for WC ammo, and the old RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No 1 lists loads for their WC design. You might google up some bullseye pistol forums, they would have more current info.

Boolit Master
    This is about all I found on the subject. https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...olympics/14329

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure about Olympics and ammo. I was under the impression that the teams brought their own got the shooting matches still left. Almost if not all the centerfire rifle is gone. a lot of the 22 / rimfire has been replaced with air rifles. It does make things easier for the host country since few and smaller ranges are needed.

The international Palma long range match is one where ammo is "issued" by the host country. This match is shot internationally every 4 years. For many years it was the host country's military ammo used. Then it was match grade ammo. For awhile it was a 155 grn sierra at 2700 fps usually loaded by jenson. The 308 7.62 was the round for many years

This made building a "Palma" rifle harder as the rifle was built and tuned to the load not build to standards and a load found and tuned to the rifle.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    The guys I know that shoot CF with a .32 all use a wadcutter ammo. There are a couple of brands out there but most load their own. It is a less than 2 grain load with Bullseye
    and a 100 grain wadcutter. It also requires an extra small charge bar on a Dillon press.

Hodgdon data site had loads for the 32Smith & Wesson long for a 98 grain wadcutter.

Boolit Master
    Lapua might still sell the 32 cartridges and wadcutter bullets. Frank