RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulged Barrel In A 1911

Boolit Master

Bulged Barrel In A 1911

It is not my natural tendency to push the envelope but today I guess I had a brain fart. I was checking out some .45ACP loads. Most had 4.9+or- .1 gr of a surplus powder that I had determined previously was very close to Bullseye in burn rate. When I originally tested this powder, I used the .45ACP cylinder in my Freedom Arms. The first loads were way heavy. They chrono'd from 1250 to over 1300 fps. After enquiring on line and with the seller, I backed off to the above load.

These loads tested around 800 fps.

The brain fart showed itself when I loaded one of the overloads in my Kimber 1911. The above loads were with a
    H&G 68 from WW. The overload was a 230 gr full metal jacket. I guess I just had to know how the recoil felt in the 1911. First indication that anything was wrong was when the slide stayed back. No pushing with my hand could move it. When I got home, I used a nylon hammer to tap the slide and it closed. After field stripping and removing the barrel, I could feel the bulge as well as "see" it in the bore. It is approx. 2" from the muzzle or 3" from the rear of the chamber.

I know there was no obstruction because I only loaded one round after the last shot across the chronograph. That shot registered on the screen. I guess the only thing I proved was that I'm stupid and an obstruction is not required to bulge a barrel. The only thing I can come up with is that this powder has some characteristic that did not agree with my 1911.

First question: Anyone have any further thoughts or ideas?

Second question: Are 1911 barrels drop-in or is a gunsmith recommended?

All comments will be appreciated. Don't try to spare my feelings. They are pretty bruised right now anyway.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 08-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    John
    W.TN

Unknown to me what happened, but since the bullet, brass, and primer were a known quantity, the powder/charge may be suspect. Factory spec 1911 barrels are drop in. Kimber is made to tighter specs than a standard G.I. 1911, and a Kimber is a semi-custom pistol, so fitting an original Kimber barrel might require some minor work, but an original spec barrel should drop in. If finances are a problem, you may be able to roll the bulge out of the barrel.

DG

Boolit Master
    I’d send it back to Kimber to have them fit a new barrel and inspect it for other possible damage.

Glad you’re ok
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Banned

How did you determine the burn rate of this unknown powder was "close" to Bullseye? Not close enough obviously! I don't use unknown powders!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    How did you determine the burn rate of this unknown powder was "close" to Bullseye? Not close enough obviously! I don't use unknown powders!
    I knowingly put a shell in the gun that was an overcharge. That was the brain fatt. My records indicate that the charge was 7.2 grains of a surplus powder labeled AA105. It was supposed to be very similar to AA#5. When I first realized that I had a problem, I called the seller, who has a good reputation here. He said some others had inquired about the powder also. It was determined that the powder was very near to Bullseye. All this was discussed here on this board a couple of years ago. My loads using Bullseye data produced velocities of just under 800 fps to just over 850 fps. The velocities fairly well matched the different powder charges indicated in the manuals.

I may contact Kimber and ask about a new barrel. I've had this pistol since 2000. The actual model is no longer in the Kimber line. Finances are not a problem. A new barrel is way cheaper than other possible outcomes.

Just in case someone is interested, the normal barrel diameter is .5763" by actual measurement. The bulge, as near as I can measure over it, is .5881". It is enough to feel with your fingers. I'm not inclined to try to roll out the bulge.

BTW, the offending load registered less than I got when I shot them the first time thru the Freedom Arms. That is all I remember and I didn't record the reading.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 08-29-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I guess I should add that when I cleaned up the guns, which had less than 10 shots each, they were very dirty. I think with the other problems, this powder is destined for the shrubbery beds.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

There are both drop in and barrels requiring fitting. Also standard and ramped barrels. I would bet a Kimber replacement barrel might drop in fine but might require a little fitting and possibly a different link. A fitted barrel will require mire fitting on the hood lug and attention to locking lugs mating. Contact Kimber and see what they say. You might consider a fitted barrel bushing and trigger job tne the pistol up some while replacing your oops

Banned
    If there was enough pressure to bulge the barrel I would suspect other damage as well. I would examine that pistol carefully. I would pay particular attention to the locking lug recesses cut in the slide and the frame just forward of the slide stop.
    As for a barrel, If you've had that gun since 2000, I would consider having a gunsmith fit an oversized barrel. A drop-in barrel may work but I think you'll get better results from a barrel that fits a little closer.

Boolit Master

There was a span of time when Kimber had not-quite-par QA/QC, maybe you got a short-life one. Good to know you're ok & the barrel didn't split.
    It is really uncommon for a barrel to bulge at mid-rifling without any obstruction, most damage for hotloads are back pressure issues.
    Send it to Kimber for a thorough inspection since you're incline on getting their OEM barrel replacement anyways.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would probably send it to Kimber, too. I can't think of any incident I have ever heard of bulging a barrel like that without some sort of obstruction. Did you visually look through the barrel before loading? Lost cleaning patch, mud dauber nest?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

"Don't worry little Sweetheart...I'd never abuse you like that...heheee...I'd never stuff you with more than you can handle!"

. . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

"I know there was no obstruction because I only loaded one round after the last shot across the chronograph. That shot registered on the screen. I guess the only thing I proved was that I'm stupid and an obstruction is not required to bulge a barrel. The only thing I can come up with is that this powder has some characteristic that did not agree with my 1911."

You are not stupid, just had to learn by peeing on the electric fence. I have not bulged a 1911 barrel, but have done other things that proved to be "teaching moments". Most 1911 pistols will do a simple drop in barrel change. Don't know about Kimbers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I would probably send it to Kimber, too. I can't think of any incident I have ever heard of bulging a barrel like that without some sort of obstruction. Did you visually look through the barrel before loading? Lost cleaning patch, mud dauber nest?
    I just re-read my original post and the "no obstruction" statement needs clarification. I had just fired the last round in the magazine and the slide locked back. The boolit registered on the chronograph so it could not be in the barrel. I then ejected the mag and loaded one round, the one that did the damage. But no, I did not "visually look through the barrel before loading?".

BTW, I'm leaving now to go to FedEx to send the gun to Kimber for evaluation and repair. The customer service person I talked to was very informative but didn't pull any punches about cost. This goof will cost north of $200 incl. shipping if not more if there is additional damage that is not apparent.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    I think that is a wise course of action.

Boolit Master

My experience with 1911s is related to 40 years of Bullseye competition. The weak point of the 191 is the brass case. The case will rupture and the gases will escape down the magazine area. Usually the magazine and the wooden grips are damaged. Swelled barrels are associated with obstructions.
    Also Bullseye powder is among the fastest. I think there is only one commercial powder that is faster. I doubt that a round loaded within Bullaeye specs would hurt a pistol.
    It was wise to send the pistol back to Kimber for a complete evaluation. There are several dimensions on a 1911 barrel that pertains to an accurate pistol. A drop in barrel has all these dimensions held to minimums so the barrel will fit all pistols. So a drop in barrel is the sloppiest fit possible.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the insight, wv109323. In this case, despite the high pressure, the case did not rupture. Actually, the felt recoil was not excessive. I'm not going to try to continue to analyze the situation too much further, at least not until I get some feedback from Kimber.

For my level of shooting skill a drop in barrel would probably suffice but my OCD tendencies overrule going the easy way.

I will post whatever Kimber's exam finds when their gunsmiths look the pistol over.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Interested !!

Boolit Master

I've never seen a barrel bulge without having an obstruction. Especially when that bulge is near the muzzle.

You can get a "drop in" 1911 barrel but don't be surprised if your accuracy goes to crap.

I bulged a 1911 barrel a few years back. I was practicing my draw and double tap. I had a malfunction and without thinking did the tap, rack, bang.

My malfunction was my first ever squib in over 40 years of reloading. I bulged the barrel right where the locking lugs end.

It cost me almost $300 to correct that error. $180 for an Ed Brown match barrel and bushing and $100 to have it fit.

The 1911 was my favorite carry 1911, a S&W PD scandium framed commander.

It was a very accurate gun before the brain fart. The gunsmith did an excellent job of fitting the barrel. It's even more accurate now.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree. I can see no way a barrel will bulge without an obstruction in it. If the case did not blow out, and even likely if it did, the cause of the bulge is not apparent given the description of the event.

Moderator Emeritus

Wow, almost 10 years ago I bulged a Kimber bbl and I believed there was no obstruction as there was a hole in the target from the previous bullet. I believed that something happened as there was no other evidence than an obstruction. I was shooting Unique, a double charge should have been evident. I sent it back to Kimber who sent me a rebuild gun with a bulged bbl. I have never heard of another and am not saying Kimber may have had some faulty bbls but that is interesting.
    FYI, an aftermarket bbl would be 50 % less than what Kimber charged me but they did go over the gun. I still have no evidence that there was an obstruction other than no evidence that there wasn't. I do not load on a progressive.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast