Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulged Barrel In A 1911

I was firing my trooper/python with very light loads. One stuck in the barrel. It was snowing pretty good so didn't see the holes not appearing in the target. I fired five more one on top of the other. All lined up like good.little soldiers. Luckily I was.shooting very light loads and the pistol has a very heavy barrel. My nephew removed the barrel and pressed the bullets out. The barrel has a slight mark from the barrel removal but has had no loss of accuracy at all. The scary part was they were jacketed. The second scary part was I was wearing gloves and felt no increased recoil at all. Still scared the crap out of me as close as I got to a ruined jewel of a gun. Stuff happens.
    Last edited by nelsonted1; 08-31-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Boolit Master

Thank you for posting that, MT Gianni. I bought this Kimber in 2000. This is the first problem I have had with it. I can't blame the Kimber barrel since I knew the load was over the top. BUT, like you, I am convinced that there was no obstruction. I've already stated why I believe that. I am also convinced that there will be more posts that will, at least hint, that there had to be an obstruction.

BTW, Tracking showed that the gun was delivered to Kimber this afternoon. I've already been warned that it could take 2-4 wks for them to inspect.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

10 years ago I had a Norinco 45 1911 brought into my shop with a bulged barrel and the grips blown out. The magazine also had the bottom, follower and spring missing.

The owner had shot some American surplus ammo, Winchester in fact. He got it from his friend and Mentors estate of a passed Air force Col. I knew both personally and fixed the gun with a new barrel. However I was given the .50 caliber can full of the .45 acp Vietnam era ammo given to me with the blown gun.

All the ammo was what he had been shooting. It looked great and as I knew the deceased shot for the AF pistol and rifle teams and has sold his target rifle made in the teams armory. I did not suspect the ammo.

After replacing the barrel and grips and bent firing pin I fired the weapon with the ammo on the 4th shot BABOOM!!!! Wow surprise!!!!!!!!

I Then stopped and thought ***. Checking the ammo it was the Winchester surplus. Went back to the shop had a cup of coffee and then took the ammo box by box fro serious inspection.

It looked good until my then 15 year old son sated why is there 2-3 rounds in each box have a commercial primer instead of the Military crimped. Every box left in the can was the same.

Pulling the bullets on 3 of the commercial primed cases yielded what looked like 231 Winchester ball powder. 19-20 grains!!

The Col. was in intelligence service and appeared he went over the edge with paranoia with the ammo storage making it safe for him to use but not for thieves.

Makes me check every single round of used ammo I come into possession of. As for the Norinco 1911 I again replaced the barrel and grips, bushing and did a trigger clean up. The owner gave it to me for finding the problem. [He did not trust it] I gave it to my then 17 year old son. He is now 32 and still shoots it 5000+ shots later and it still is going strong.

I've only send one 1911 with a bulged barrel. The cause was a bullet shedding its core leaving jacket in barrel. The core provided a visable strike. The next round bulged the barrel. I guess it is possible but I have never seen a bulge in any barrel that wasn't a result of obstruction. A major problem with over load or cartridge problem would occurs in chamber area. I sold the 1911 and two 357 revolvers that I was stuck in middle with. The owners always insist the gun failed. The manufactures ruled faulty handloads on all three and refused responsibilty.

Boolit Master

I give up!!

I have never said that I wasn't responsible and never asked Kimber to take responsibiltiy. I still hold that there was no obstruction despite the fact than only one poster(Mt Gianni, post #20) in this thread has also had a bulged barrel that did not involve an obstruction.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 09-02-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

You might read this thread for info on your powder. It's like AA#5.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eed-Some-Help!

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I give up!!

I have never said that I wasn't responsible and never asked Kimber to take responsibiltiy. I still hold that there was no obstruction despite the fact than only one poster(Mt Gianni, post #20) in this thread has also had a bulged barrel that did not involve an obstruction.
    It doesn't take an obstruction to trash a barrel, an over pressure load will do the job also.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    It doesn't take an obstruction to trash a barrel, an over pressure load will do the job also.
    I know that. My response was to those who have and will continue to post that they have never heard of a bulged barrel without an obstruction. I apologize if I am taking it wrong that they disbelieve when I say there was no obstruction.

I received a confirmation from FedEx that the package was delivered to Kimber on Thursday afternoon. I am hoping they will acknowledge receipt tomorrow. Customer service has already indicated that it will take 2-4 wks for inspection and repair.
    John
    W.TN

Vendor Sponsor

Prolly did the right thing sending it back to Kimber. Although many would chuck another barrel in there and keep on trucking...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I know that. My response was to those who have and will continue to post that they have never heard of a bulged barrel without an obstruction. I apologize if I am taking it wrong that they disbelieve when I say there was no obstruction.

I received a confirmation from FedEx that the package was delivered to Kimber on Thursday afternoon. I am hoping they will acknowledge receipt tomorrow. Customer service has already indicated that it will take 2-4 wks for inspection and repair.
    I don't think others did not believe you. On this board, folks just skim read a post and jump in with both feet and seldom do their responses reflect an understanding of the original post. It can be very frustrating and that is why I don't read the pages of posts that take the original topic off on a tanget. When I reply, I just reply to the original post.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    A over pressure load doesn't bulge the barrel near the muzzle.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Just a heads up for anyone that may be contemplating sending a gun to Kimber for repair. When I was notified that the gun had been examined by a gunsmith to determine needed repairs, I was told that the repair totalled $xxx.45, and they needed my credit card number. They told me that the credit card would not be charged until the gun was ready for shipment. I gave them the credit card number and sat back to wait.

I track all transactions on my credit cards and periodically check to make sure that there are no extra charges unknown to me. I noticed that Kimber had charged my card on the same day I gave them the number. I called Kimber because I was concerned that someone would repeat the charge at time of shipment. The customer service person that answered explained that they make a charge immediately to be sure that the customer can pay for the repair. If satisfied, the charge is then rescinded.

I can see their reasoning and have no problem. I also verified that the charge had been removed. First time for anything like this.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I guess that charge is going back on the card. I just got notification from UPS that a shipping label was created for a 2nd Day Air shipment. I wasn't expecting it so soon after being told it could be 2-4 weeks. I guess they had rather surprise than disappoint customers.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    I once bulged a barrel in a Mod 52 S& W wadcutter Auto, we believe the tail of a wadcutter stayed in the barrel as I had the correct number of shots on target, would you believe the bulged barrel shot equal groups to the new factory barrel I fitted!!

Cheers Mal in au.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12