Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Favorite load for S&W 625 .45 ACP and auto rim

Favorite load for S&W 625 .45 ACP and auto rim

Just got a deal on a 625 - 3 of 1989. If you didn't know, it shoot .45 ACP in moon clips or not.

Also have .45 auto rim brass.

So, before loading for it I'm going to try the 200 grain Lee tumbles that don't run to well in an auto.

Thanks a ton gentlemen.

Boolit Master

One of my favorite 45's. I have the 3" unflutted, a 4" and a 5". Do yourself a favor and try WSF in that gun. I shot pins with my 5", had it ported and shot a very stiff load of WSF with a 250 grain bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

5 gr of Bullseye works very well under the Lee's 452-190-SWC, 452-200-RF, 452-200-SWC in my S&W revolver whether loaded in ACP or AR cases.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

MP 454-200 HP over 5 grains of bullseye.
    Shoots lights out.

452460 5.8 of 231 in acp brass.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    3.8 gr. WST with that bullet for a nice, accurate target load with softer recoil.

Have the throats measured to see if you'll need a slightly larger diameter bullet. My S&W 25 has .455 throats, so I use .454 bullets.

What ever you feed an auto will work fine in your six gun. 4.8 to 5 grain Bulls eye under a 200-225 grain bullet works very well in my 1917 Smith. As pointed out, check the chamber throats as a big throat with little bullet or little throat with big bore don't do well at all.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Man
    I’ll second Thumb cockers suggestion and add: you can roll crimp that little boolit in the top loob groove and generally get even better accuracy, have tested this with power pistol, titegroup, 231,and unique it takes .2 to .7 grains more powder depending on wich one you are using to get the same velocity as the deep seated taper crimped ones but accuracy notably improved in my 3 revolvers. With the roll crimp you’ll have to use either the auto rim brass or the moon clips to establish headspace.

Moderator Emeritus

The Governor -- I have a Model 625-3 Stainless “45 Cal of 1983” 5”Bbl .45ACP DA Revolver, same as yours , on which I put a LaserAim Scope. A marvelous revolver, and congrats on your acquisition! I, too, reckoned it would be great for using ammo which doesn't, as you aptly noted, "don't run to well in an auto" (sic).
    Two notes: 1st, while mine came with half-moon clips, I quickly replaced them with full-mooners. I got the goodies from Dillon (mooner & de-mooner, I think they're called) to make that process sooo much easier. 2ndly, and perhaps most germane, is I had some target-45ACP stuff (which I replaced with another bullet/load, thinking my target scores would dramatically increase (they didn't )), and reckoned it would be a win-win for me to shoot these up in my then new 625-3. Several "yesses", to wit: They hit the target bull with amazing (for me) repeat ability; and, had minimal recoil. BUT, here's something I noted -- the loads for my Colt .45acp had enough of the proper crimp for that semi-auto to keep bullet from moving. However, in the revolver, this was not the case. I was a bit uncertain "what to do", while cognizant that the crimping stage is in fact the last station's job on my Dillon 550b -- so, I recrimped all with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Problem solved!
    In loading specifically for this revolver, I've used many cast bullets, with the modal powder I've used being Bullseye -- generally in the 4.5gn range.
    Congrats again on your getting this fine revolver -- just a headsup re your possible re-crimp being needed.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Here is an old link to a Taffin article on the auto rim: http://www.sixguns.com/range/sw6252.htm

Boolit Master

Thanks for the article, I bought a 1988 version but it gave me problems and S&W would not even talk about correcting them. Mine, an very early one, had the cylinder machined on a slant. After one cylinder full fired, the next one started binding slightly and after the second cylinder full, it would seize on the side where the tolerances were too close because of the faulty machining. I sold that one and bought a 25-2 and had the barrel but back to 5 inches and used it in competition for several years before retiring from competition. My grandson has it now. I had to have another .45 revolver, a Model 22-4 Thunder Ranch, which is my carry and playing revolver. It has a 4" slim profile barrel, fixed sights and it is a really nice handling package. I prefer fixed sights for carry purposes, I don't want to take a chance on a rear sight hanging on clothing if I ever have to use it in a serious situation. I do need to find me a better carry holster though, the current one is nice but it does print a little under a shirttail. Just my preference and not binding on anyone else. james

Boolit Master
    In my modern ACP revolvers, I load the 454424 to about 950 fps in the 4” barrels. In my older revolvers, same boolit at 850 is a good load. Also like the SAECO 453, 240 grain full wadcutter at the same velocities. And the 452423 can be loaded a bit more.

You 625-3 can handle the 45 Super if you are so inclined.

I have used , but do not recall the particulars, the 280 grain Keith SWC in the ACP revolver. While I am sure it hit the target, there is probably a reason i am still using the 240 and 255 grain bullets. Maybe someone else can supply a good recipe for that boolit.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 08-29-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Super Moderator

In 45 Auto Rim, my favorite load is the NOE version of the 454424 over 6.0 grains of Unique. I crimp the boolit with the Redding Profile Crimp die. I have gone hotter than 6 grains, but don't really see the need to as this load is a solid performer. In regular 45 Auto brass with moon clips I load a lot of the RCBS 45-230 RN over 5.5 grains of Unique.

Great stuff! Thanks again, I'm reading and re-reading these posts.

I'm going to try some Lee TL 200 grainers today that didn't run that great in some of my 1911s.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I had a 625 Model of 1989 which shot well, but I sold it because I wanted some older, classic antique revolvers.

In my S&W M1917 and Colt M1917 New Service I shoot the Accurate 45-240H1 bullet with 3.5 grains of Bullseye or 4.2 grains of 452AA or WST. These are accurate and satisfying and don't strain the old guns. I shoot the same powder charges with the Accurate 45-264D bullet in my Colt New Service .455 Eley using the Starline cases.

Attachment 247904Attachment 247905
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Truthfully, I haven't run it in an ACP or Auto Rim case in a revolver yet, but. . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_TL452-234-RF_-BB-_234_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	247980

I launched the group buy discussion with Ranch Dog on the NOE forum looking for a tumble-lube, mass-production alternative to the excellent, but still need a trip through a lube sizer LBT .45 Auto bullet. One of the clever participants in the GB had the idea of turning the front TL groove into a crimper to make the revolver people happy, we all approved, and the rest is history. I run this one at about 1100 fps out of .45 Colt cases in my 4.2" Redhawk, and it is indeed a fine thing.

My sentimental favorite is probably the Keith 452423, but the Ranch Dog TL does a lot of "one stop shop" service.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

ShooterAZ, that RCBS 45-230CM is my favorite 45 design from the non-custom makers we now have cutting moulds. May I ask why you drop down to 5.5 gr. Unique with it? 6.0 Unique is my go to load for the 45 ACP with that boolit, and I have never had any excessive pressure signs. I don't remember the velocity I am getting, but the chronograph agreed that pressures were okay.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    5 gr of Bullseye works very well under the Lee's 452-190-SWC, 452-200-RF, 452-200-SWC in my S&W revolver whether loaded in ACP or AR cases.
    Agreed 5 grains is a nice load in those guns.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    ShooterAZ, that RCBS 45-230CM is my favorite 45 design from the non-custom makers we now have cutting moulds. May I ask why you drop down to 5.5 gr. Unique with it? 6.0 Unique is my go to load for the 45 ACP with that boolit, and I have never had any excessive pressure signs. I don't remember the velocity I am getting, but the chronograph agreed that pressures were okay.
    Tony
    I settled on that load a long time ago, I found it to be very accurate and the recoil is quite mild. BTW it is the 45-230 RN I shoot mostly, not the CM. I've been thinking about getting the CM mould though...just thought that the flat point might not feed well in autos. Looks like a good boolit though! Can't go wrong with RCBS molds either.