WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boiled eggs

I'm going to try the instapot. We want to lose some weight and it seems to be a good filler and protein source anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perfect-pressure-cooker-soft-medium-hard-boiled-eggs-comparison-chart-1-720x480.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	257819

Boolit Buddy
    Instapot - 1 cup of water, 5 minutes pressure cook, 5 minutes slow release - 5 minutes ice bath

Boolit Buddy
    This thread got me craving boiled eggs, so I set about doing that. I steamed them, eggs were well past fresh and they went for 7 minutes as I wanted soft. They turned out perfect in that way, just not so great in any other way.

It proved, once again, that I cannot cook boiled eggs, no way, no how. One egg exploded in the steamer, ghastly looking thing with it's innards hanging out. The rest held together and got a cold water soak till they were cool on the outside. The tenacity with which the shell stuck on every egg would make Gorrila Glue green with envy.

Even cracking and rolling them did nothing to loosen the shell, there was more egg on the peelings than in the eggs themselves. I finally scooped the egg out with a spoon, which is what I pretty much always have to do. I can count on one hand the number of times that I've had success with getting the shell off boiled eggs, today was definitely not one of them.

I've come to accept that I'll never be able to cook boiled eggs and have the shell fall off like everyone else can, just one of those things you have to embrace, rather than fight it, cause there's no winning against an ornery egg.

Boolit Buddy
    I have this gadget called a Dash Egg Cooker. It makes boiled eggs pretty painless. $20 on Amazon.

Boolit Grand Master

What's so hard about boiling eggs ? This is the way my mom showed me and it's also the way my wife learned to boil them ... our families always make deviled eggs for holiday meals .
    Boiled Eggs, Southern style :
    1.) Place however many eggs you want to boil , in a single layer on the bottom , of a large heavy pot that has a lid. Don't crowd the eggs , leave a little room .
    2.) Fill the pot with cold tap water until the eggs are covered 2" ( index finger , from 2nd joint to fingertip should be about 2" ) , place pot on fire and set on high heat .
    3.) Watch pot , as soon as water begins to boil lower heat to med. high and gentle boil uncovered 1 minute .
    4.) Cover pot , turn off fire and let stand 10 minutes ( you can let stand up to 20 minutes with no ill effects )
    5.) Drain most of the hot water and refill the pot with cold , give them 15 to 30 minutes to cool off then shell them .

Don't boil any eggs that float or that are cracked .

Boil one minute uncovered , let stand in hot water covered 10 minutes, cool and peel .
    Pot in your pantry...FREE !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    What's so hard about boiling eggs ? This is the way my mom showed me and it's also the way my wife learned to boil them ... our families always make deviled eggs for holiday meals .
    Boiled Eggs, Southern style :
    1.) Place however many eggs you want to boil , in a single layer on the bottom , of a large heavy pot that has a lid. Don't crowd the eggs , leave a little room .
    2.) Fill the pot with cold tap water until the eggs are covered 2" ( index finger , from 2nd joint to fingertip should be about 2" ) , place pot on fire and set on high heat .
    3.) Watch pot , as soon as water begins to boil lower heat to med. high and gentle boil uncovered 1 minute .
    4.) Cover pot , turn off fire and let stand 10 minutes ( you can let stand up to 20 minutes with no ill effects )
    5.) Drain most of the hot water and refill the pot with cold , give them 15 to 30 minutes to cool off then shell them .

Don't boil any eggs that float or that are cracked .

Boil one minute uncovered , let stand in hot water covered 10 minutes, cool and peel .
    Pot in your pantry...FREE !!!
    Gary
    Ok Since I never tried this method....I decide to give it a try....followed instructions to a tee!
    Eggs are impossible to peel..... 1/3 of the white comes off with the shell!
    My wife said WTHDIDO!
    Will not use this method again!
    BTW the Chewed up eggs from peeling were perfect inside Just a disaster to peel!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Ok Since I never tried this method....I decide to give it a try....followed instructions to a tee!
    Eggs are impossible to peel..... 1/3 of the white comes off with the shell!
    My wife said WTHDIDO!
    Will not use this method again!
    BTW the Chewed up eggs from peeling were perfect inside Just a disaster to peel!
    You're not holding your mouth right and it only works South of the Mason Dixon Line .

How do you boil eggs up North ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Well my wife Brings them to a boil and then turns them down to low for 8 minutes Then the pot goes into the sink and cold water is slowly added to the hot water until the water becomes cold ( sort of a long slow drop in temp) then they are taken out of the water and refrigerated. To use; the shells are cracked by rolling on the counter with the palm of the hand and 80-90% of the time the shells just pop off! The issue I had with your method was the inner skins were very tough to break pulling out chunks of eggwhite! The insides were great but pretty impossible to peel
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

JW ,
    After you remove the boiled eggs from the cooled water , how long do they need to stay in the refrigerator ?
    I have noticed that every now and again the "skin" will be tough and the egg hard to peel ...but not always ! My thought was a fresh egg or an old egg ???

I want to try your long slow drop in temperature cool down method and then the refrigerator chill to see if that helps with the peeling . How long to leave them in ice box (refrigerator) ?

Can't have eggs that peel too easy !

Long boiling times darken the yolk to a grayish green , which doesn't hurt , but looks unappetizing as heck , when you're making deviled eggs a nice bright yellow color is so much better ...
    maybe the secrete to easy peeling is in the cooling.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    What's so hard about boiling eggs ?
    <snip>
    Used to use a similar boiling method to the one you outlined. Eggs were impossible to peel cleanly and were consistently overcooked (green, sulfury yokes). Plus, it's a lot of watching a fussing.

I can toss 6 eggs in my $20 dash, hit the button and walk away. When it dings, I come back to 6 perfectly cooked, not sulfury eggs, that I can peel immediately and have them practically jump out of their shells. It's a no brainer, for me.

Boolit Master
    Gary,
    Usually at least refrigerate them for about 4 hours before we use them but If she makes up a bunch they can stay in the fridge all week and eat them when we want

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Gary,
    Usually at least refrigerate them for about 4 hours before we use them but If she makes up a bunch they can stay in the fridge all week and eat them when we want
    Got it ... Thanks !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123