RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boiled eggs

Boiled eggs

I have been on a diet to lose 20#'s of ugly fat and eating lots of salads and "boiled" eggs. But I hate to peel the eggs.
    I found something better, on the internet of course.

Instead of boiling them, steam them.

Get your water hot in the steamer, put all the eggs in one basket, and steam for 14 minutes. When the timer goes off, put the eggs in cold water to stop the cooking.

After they cool, they peel really easy.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Grand Master

My Daughter does them in the insta pot under pressure when done manual release and cold water. Peel really easy

Boolit Buddy
    Probably a similar process as the "Instapot" type pressure steamers. We have a Mealthy instapot and boiled eggs come out great and the shell usually comes off in two halves. Great for other cooking also.

Banned
    The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel when boiled. At least a week, maybe two, left in room temperate air unless you are in one of the boiler states and they will be easy.

Boolit Master
    Instapot! Don’t matter how fresh they are. They will peel mostly two halves of shell. Best money I ever spent. Plus you can cook other things too with it. Lol

Boolit Master

if your just making egg salad or something like it, crack the eggs into a ziplock bag and then boil, after they are done just cut up and use.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    Ukshootist

Here in the US the idiots in charge mandate that eggs must be washed before being sold by commercial producers .
    And even most of the those raising their own have fallen prey to the egg washing madness .... so eggs get washed , and then must be fridgerated .

There are few left in the us who understand that washing off the protective membrane is a bad idea and that unwashed eggs keep perfectly fine at room temperature. And generally taste better to me at least

Boolit Master

I peel boiled eggs under water with a spoon its much easier. I never encountered a rotten egg in the USA but in Europe where they don't wash and refrigerate I've had several of the foulest smelling things ever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    I peel boiled eggs under water with a spoon its much easier. I never encountered a rotten egg in the USA but in Europe where they don't wash and refrigerate I've had several of the foulest smelling things ever.
    Although the question of whether the UK is in or out of Europe is currently under much discussion, I can only say that living in England I only buy free range eggs and I never refrigerate them and in all of my lengthy life I have only ever cracked but one rotten egg. I love eggs and no doubt eat far too many but I have often left eggs in the kitchen, winter or summer, for two or three weeks without problems.

Boolit Master

I got one bad egg at a Sainsbury in London and a couple more at Monoprix in France. Considering my total time in Europe comes to a few months I wasn't impressed.

Boolit Master

Steaming eggs for easy peel is a well kept secret. It doesn't matter how fresh. I have steamed eggs laid 1 hour before steaming and they peeled great.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real...s-zmaz77ndzgoe

Interesting

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Steaming eggs for easy peel is a well kept secret. It doesn't matter how fresh. I have steamed eggs laid 1 hour before steaming and they peeled great.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real...s-zmaz77ndzgoe

Interesting

Interesting. I have a purpose built egg steamer that dies six at a time. Fresh eggs remain, for me at least. still an absolute bugger to peel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    Interesting. I have a purpose built egg steamer that dies six at a time. Fresh eggs remain, for me at least. still an absolute bugger to peel.
    Crack them with the back of a spoon. Use the spoon as a scoop and work it between the shell and the egg.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

As stated prior, fresh eggs are not the best for boiling. Bring to boiling, remove from heat, cover with a lid, let rest for 15 minutes and chill in ice water. if you peel them within a half hour they just about fall out of the shells. FWIW, I wash my eggs, the shells are porous and allow bacteria to enter through the shell and chicken poop is loaded with Salmonella........ That's why the Food safety people suggest that you do not eat raw eggs, e.g. Cesar Salad. But to each his own
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    Get your water hot in the steamer, put all the eggs in one basket, and steam for 14 minutes. When the timer goes off, put the eggs in cold water to stop the cooking.

After they cool, they peel really easy.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Oh Noooo!

Bob

Boolit Master

I've always had trouble peeling boiled eggs (except when I don't). I live alone now and have found an easy way to prepare eggs in small amounts that are also easy to peel. I use the Cuisinart CEC-10 Egg Central Egg Cooker, on Amazon. It's a steaming system, small, sits on the counter top. Steaming time is based on the amount of water poured in - when it runs dry, it clicks off. I quickly learned to use the marked measuring cup to prepare eggs, poached or soft/hard boiled, in far less time than it used to take boiling them on the stove.

I just boil mine for 20 minutes...then run under cold water to cool. (about 3 minutes, that's the secret) Once cooled I crack and roll the egg on the counter top breaking then entire shell. Then when you break through the shell membrane they peel real easy.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I cook just collected eggs in cold water for 8 minutes then shut off let sit for 10-15 minutes. Drain fill pan with cold water and then take a serrated steak knife and cut in half then scoop out with a spoon works great.

Boolit Master

We've always prepared boiled eggs as my parents taught me. Bring a pot of cold water to a boil and place eggs in it. Time it for 15 minutes, fill the pot with ice cubes. Makes perfect boiled eggs. Cooked yolk, no 0live green around it. Has anyone else seen the egg cookers that you break the raw eggs into and then cook them? Supposed to make boiled eggs that need no peeling. Seems like I have seen them at a couple of stores, like Walmart and HEB--regional large grocer from San Antonio.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    We've always prepared boiled eggs as my parents taught me. Bring a pot of cold water to a boil and place eggs in it. Time it for 15 minutes, fill the pot with ice cubes. Makes perfect boiled eggs. Cooked yolk, no 0live green around it. Has anyone else seen the egg cookers that you break the raw eggs into and then cook them? Supposed to make boiled eggs that need no peeling. Seems like I have seen them at a couple of stores, like Walmart and HEB--regional large grocer from San Antonio.

Its the cold water cooldown that keeps the green away from the yoke.

Those egg cookers you're referring to could be in the "As Seen on TV" section at walmart. I remember those commercials for them a few years ago.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast