Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Confess your accidental discharge here:

Boolit Mold
    My friends brother let a 12 gauge slug go off into the ceiling. His dad left the hole in ceiling for decades as a reminder.

I heard the hole was patched a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not gonna do it! I don't confess to a priest, so I am not going to confess here.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

My only loaded gun at home is a 12ga pump, which I keep empty chamber. Well, while I was gone one day my gf decided to play with it, pumping the action “because it sounds cool”. Then she ventilated my floor with a rather large hole. Brand new carpet too lol.

That wasn’t the first time an AD in my house either. Years earlier a buddy was fixing my plumbing under the sink, and he removed his CCW, a little 22lr pistol, and set it on the table. Along comes my house mate who fumbles around with it until it fired in the living room. About a year later I actually found the bullet! Just laying on the carpet. I kept the case and bullet in a jar so I could embarrass him at any time.

Boolit Buddy
    I havent had any ADs or NDs yet but some of my friends havent been so lucky but those arent my mistakes to talk about.

I did have some close calls though. I was shopping for revolver some time back and when I went to check out my friends S&W he pulled it out and unloaded it in front of me and handed it to me. After looking it over I started to play with the trigger still while pointed down between my legs so it was safe (not perfect but safe) where I was sitting. Last second I decided to give it a double check to make sure its clear even though I watched him empty it and guess what there was a 357 round left sitting in the cylinder. Wasnt indexed to fire on next trigger pull and was pointed in safe direction but still gave me that sick feeling

Now I shoot a lot more and started doing some local tournaments so safety has been my priority. I do dry fire some of my guns but now no matter where I am at its the same as my range: mag out, clear, clear (my ocd kicking in), visual check, point in safe direction, drop the hammer/striker then I consider it safe but never before that.

I havent been shooting for decades as many here are so when I first started I took my ex and we both took the NRA basic safety class more for her comfort then mine but still it was very good class. I think learning correct safety procedures is never a bad thing and could potentially prevent many of the NDs we see.
    Last edited by marek313; 09-09-2019 at 03:40 PM.

The closest I have come to an ND was an user induced "double". I had just finished installing a CGW short reset kit into a SP01. Took the gun out to give it a test at my girlfriends dads property. First shot was right on target, second went over the berm...oh crap! I was so used to prepping the trigger slightly while coming back on target and the new reset kit definitely did its job and shortened up that reset. Over the berm its about a mile and a half through a cornfield until the next road and I assume that 124gr 9mm bullet may have only destroyed some feed corn when it came down. Even though it may have been relatively safe I still had quite a bit of butt pucker when it happened and felt guilty for a good amount of time.

There was an experience of an ND in my home once but I didnt pull the trigger on that one. I used to keep a loaded 12ga Mossberg in my room as my home defense gun. I had a roommate at the time and I would sometimes have to travel for work. Figuring the honor system was good enough to stay out of each others rooms was my mistake. I didnt have a safe for long guns yet and before I would leave I would unload the shotgun, toss the gun and shells into a case and put it under my bed.

Well, I came home from my work trip one time and when I went to load the shotgun I noticed one of the shells was missing. Racked the gun and out popped an expended hull. The roommate wasnt home at the time and I began searching the house to look for holes. What I found was a nice 12ga sized entry hole on the front of one of the speaker towers in the living room, a fist sized exit hole on the back, steel lamp post behind the speaker caught most of the buckshot and there were a few that made it into the wall. Nothing made it through the wall to the great outdoors though.

When the roommate came home he suffered quite a few choice words from me along with the abrupt news that I was kicking him out instead of kicking his you know what. Cant live with someone you cant trust.

Only thing good about that was the speaker and the lamp still worked fine!

Boolit Master
    My dad drummed it into me if handed a firearm always check it yourself no matter who gave it to you .when introducing new shooters I insist they do the same .its amazing how many people get shot with unloaded guns.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had two. At age 11 I had a benjamin 177 pellet gun. It would shoot bb's at a much cheaper cost but they would roll out if the bbl pointed down. I went to unload it one day by tipping it up and letting the bb roll into my palm. I could swear my finger was away from the trigger but it wasn't and the gun shifted causing more weight on the trigger and it shot into my palm. No penetration but it had a sore for a week or so.
    Second was deer hunting with the BLR. I chamber a round then let the hammer down and this time it slipped out of my thumb and I shot into a group of trees. I now have hammer extensions on everything with a scope and an exposed hammer.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I had mine with a Ruger Mk II when I was around 20 or 21. Punched a hole in my downstairs bedroom ceiling and a good sized dent in the frame of a dishwasher in the kitchen above. A little bit of paper and some white paint and it was invisible, My father never found out about it before his passing in 2013.

My friends brother likewise blew a hole in their bedroom ceiling with a Marlin 336 .30-30, unfortunately for him their father was right behind him when it happened.

Have also had a slamfire with an AR-15 when dropping the bolt during prone slow in a hi-power match, saw it impact the dirt about 1/2 way to the 100 yd butt. Other than an embarrassment and a 0 on the scorecard no harm done. Stupid CCI SR primers.

Like was mentioned earlier I believe there are two types of shooters, those who have had and those who will have. Just be sure it's pointed somewhere safe at the time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345