Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: My Dillon 650 mods.

My Dillon 650 mods.

I finally decided to replace my Loadmaster, when it works it's fine, but I've had the odd squib load and double-charge, all due to the primer system. Primers going in sideways, missed primers and primers jamming the shell plate. I intended buying a Square Deal as realistically it's all I need to load .38sp. but people kept telling me to get a 650 . Somewhat more $$, unfortunately. I learned that the 650 has been discontinued so basically whatever stock was in Australia (not much) was all there was going to be. So I thought "heck, it's only money" and bought a 650 (before anyone says anything the Hornady LNL is the same price).
    Beautifully made machine!

I didn't buy the case feeder as at another $400 I don't need it!! What I did do was adapt the Lee 4-tube manual case feeder to work on the Dillon, as I found it quite adequate for my needs on the Lee press. I also adapted the 4-tube boolit loader, using a Mr. Bulletfeeder die. A deceptively simple design that, unlike the Lee unit, only drops a boolit if a case is present.

The case feeder doesn't take long to fill the tubes and I have spare tubes that I can stack with boolits so it's a simple matter to refill the boolit loader. I'm in the process of making extra primer tubes and have found a 3D printable primer loader on thingiverse that, if it works, should make filling the primer tubes a cinch.

I also 3D printed a "primer stop", it replaces the ramp that operates the primer rotation and is designed to flip open to stop primers being ejected if there are no cases. Only problem is that the failsafe rod prevents it from fully opening so you can't operate the press! Sort of defeats the idea behind it. My solution was to use a pin in the hinge and I glued a disk magnet on it, the magnet stops it from flipping open and by removing the pin I can take off the ramp and stop the primer disk from rotating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case feeder 1a.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	247384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case feeder 2a.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	247385

Name:	Bullet feeder 1a.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	247386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet feeder 2a.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	247387

Name:	Primer stop 1a.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	247388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primer stop 2a.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	247389

Boolit Master
    Nice mods.

Banned
    Well Done !

If you've never used a Dillon press before, you're in for a treat. Dillon makes THE best progressive presses available. If you need parts or service (they rarely break), Dillon is top notch.

I'm a dedicated 550 user and I prefer the manual index of the 550. I've used the Square Deal, 650 and the 1050 and they are all great machines but the 550 and I mesh well. A friend has a 1050 and it's impressive but almost in the commercial category of presses.

Check out a sellar on ebay called snowshooze. I think that is right. He makes some really cool stuff for a 650. I bought his primer stop, case feed stop, roller index, and even his single stage conversion. That might sound ludicrous, but it's really handy when bench space is very limited and you don't have room to mount a second press. With everything else I have with my 650, when I use it, I call it the most expensive single stage in Texas,
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 08-27-2019 at 08:41 AM.

For people who can't make things he has some good stuff available. The cam follower is another one I'm going to 3D print. I may make one out of aluminium, but for now it's easier to just print it and see how it performs.

Still going. I found some suitable brass tubing at a model shop that is the right size for small pistol primers. It's thinner-walled than the Dillon tubing so I had to make fittings for the ends, plastic at one end and aluminium at the other to match up with the Dillon tube.

I 3D printed a cam bearing support for the shell plate rotation and found a suitable bearing in my bearing stash.

I'm still working on a "primer filler".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails primer tube 1a.jpg   cam bearing 1a.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Nice job , that Dillon is 1st class.

There is a primer catcher with a 'box' on Thingiverse. Works well when you have a case not drop. It will keep the primers in good spot till you want to remove. Also, print or as I did, make a tube holder for spent primers. The little box would allow 10% of spent primers to jump out and it is too easy to drill out a brass case and slip in the holder that fits a flex tube that I have running to a small plastic bottle.
    I'm expecting the new 650xl replacement that Dillon has for sale addresses some of these shortcomings.

More.
    I don't know about you guys, but I have to empty the powder measure after each session as powder has to be locked away except when you're actually using it. Removing the Dillon powder measure is a bit of a pain, so the first thing was to replace the rod guide bushing with one that isn't as tight in its hole. I tapped an 8mm thread onto the protrusion and a nut locks nicely between the sides of the plate. The base of the bushing is bigger (easier to hold) and it only takes seconds to remove the guide rod.(Turned from nylon).

Next thing is a 3D replacement clamp that holds the powder measure onto the die. Longer bolts have springs under them so that the clamp can be pulled back enough to release the measure (no tools required).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guide bushinga.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	247501

Name:	powder clamp.a.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	247502
    Last edited by dikman; 08-29-2019 at 07:34 AM.

The trickiest thing I made - a device to speed fill the primer tubes. I printed it from thingiverse (the base took over 8 hours!) but I had a lot of problems with primers flipping as they went down. I sanded down the top channel so that there was minimal clearance at the drop hole but then realised I'd made the hole above where the primer tube fits just a bit too big. Wasn't much, but enough to let the primers twist. I lined the hole with car body filler and made a jig that lined up exactly with the primer tube then ran a drill through that was a smidgin bigger than a primer. That fixed it, but for good measure I smoothed it out with 1200 grit wet and dry and rubbed graphite into the drop hole. Works great, the "sorter plate" holds well over 200 primers and it can be shaken to set them all the same way, put in a primer tube, tilt the whole thing at about 45 degrees (down) and push the button. Less than 20 seconds later I have a full tube (about 120, I think).
    The lower section is designed to hold a 9v battery, so it's self contained, but I despise 9v batteries so mine runs off a 5v power supply. I can't remember where the motor came from but it has an offset weight to cause it to vibrate and is held in with hotmelt glue. The metal box has a pushbutton switch and a 30 ohm potentiometer so I can vary the speed to get the optimum vibration.

Name:	Primer filler 1a.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	247591

Name:	Primer filler 2a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	247592

I love it when a plan comes together.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Check out a sellar on ebay called snowshooze.
    I've purchased several upgrades from Snowshooze. Great guy. Great products, and even though he ships from Alaska, your items arrive in just a few days.

I saw this and thought it was a good idea so added it to the list. Very handy for when I have to pull a few boolits.

Name:	Powder separator a.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	247629

Banned
    I purchased everything that was available at the time. What I have found out is the Dillon works fine with the stock setup with the exception of the primer ski shoot which ejects primers all over the floor. It has been replaced with a setup with a plastic bottle that the primers went in. My experience in the little bells and whistles for the Dillon is they were poorly made and out of spec. The bearing assembly I purchased ended up screwing up the timing and position of the shell plate so it came back off and the original back on. After a few thousand rounds with all the add ons I see no benefit no reduced drag and certainly nothing that makes the machine run any better. Besides I believe Dillon will not honor the warranty if you have fudged with the machine.

Boolit Mold
    Entirely Crimson is another guy who makes awesome items. I got his powder measure quick release for my Dillon powder measures.

6bg6ga, I understand what you're saying, unfortunately (?) I'm one of those who always looks at how I can adapt/change/improve/modify things I buy. The bearing made sense to me and I carefully checked the timing with it fitted (no problems). It may not be necessary, but as I said it makes sense. As for the warranty, you will notice that I have not actually modified the machine itself in any way, I am careful to ensure that I do not have to physically change anything, every change I made can be easily removed with no indication that they were ever fitted. And the boolit and case feeders cost me nothing but time and saved me several hundred $$ compared to buying them.

This is just something that I enjoy doing.

Boolit Master
    It looks like you have done good , I'm impressed with your ingenuity .
    Thanks for showing us what you are doing.

I really only created this post to maybe give others ideas about what can be done. I realise it's not for everyone.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Lots of great ideas !! Thank you !!