WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Inspired by "Rotometals has type for sale"

Boolit Buddy

Inspired by "Rotometals has type for sale"

There was a local print shop where I have bought linotype since back in the 80's. A couple of years ago I contacted him and though the shop was closed some of the equipment was still in place and he still had linotype. I bought some lino and he also introduced me to foundry type. He told me that he had to vacate the building by a certain date. I left my contact info and asked him to call when he got ready to clear out. I never heard back from him and about this time last year I saw one of those "end of an era" stories in the local paper when he closed the shop.

After reading about the Rotometals stock I decided to track him down on the long shot that he might still have some type metal (Who brings that sort of thing home when you retire?). Turns out he did and he told me where he lives. I came home today with the last 300 pounds of foundry type and 400 pounds of his remaining linotype stock. Unfortunately he had melted the entire stock of lino down into ingots. Easier for him to handle but who needs 21 or 22 pounds of it when mixing a batch of alloy? Still counted myself lucky to get it. I have learned how to break those ingots into manageable blocks to at least get them into the pot. From there I can melt them down to a useful size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190826_183922 copy.jpg   20190826_183928 copy.jpg   20190826_183931 copy.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Nice score! Congrats!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice score! That should last you awhile.

Boolit Buddy
    What's your technique for breaking those Lino ingots?

Boolit Master
    Get a bigger hammer!
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    The local guy that bus and sells lead on CL got about 500 pounds of lino. Unfortunately he melted it all down into ingots. I got too much, posted some here for sale at $2 a pound, and let me tell you; people here don't like homemade ingots even if you melt a chunk to test and make sure everything is kosher. What he has left will probably end up as fishing weights :-/

Boolit Master
    That is just beautiful
    Bob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I came home today with the last 300 pounds of foundry type .
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...0&d=1566877650

This can be either "foundry" or "Monotype", they look the same, the only difference is "foundry" is a little harder.

Nice score. do you mind sharing what you paid for this?

Boolit Buddy
    <What's your technique for breaking those Lino ingots?>

Score it on all three edges with a 3/4" chisel. Then set it on two 2x4 blocks with the score in the middle and smack it with a 3# hammer. You can do this without scoring it first but this method will make it break right where you want it, even short pieces.

<This can be either "foundry" or "Monotype", they look the same, the only difference is "foundry" is a little harder.>

The man owned his own printing business all his life. If he tells me it is foundry type I believe him. All I can say from personal experience is that I used some of it from the last purchase and a little bit goes a long way.

<Nice score. do you mind sharing what you paid for this?>

Let's just say that I could have crossed off the next item on my wish list at the gun shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lino split.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! A little of either will go a long way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    What's your technique for breaking those Lino ingots?
    Update: The hammer and chisel method does not work on ingots of this shape (flat top). Even with a 4# hammer it took forever and one nearly disastrous blow to the off hand with same to break these two into shorter lengths. I definitely will not buy any more of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full.jpg   broken.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    Update: The hammer and chisel method does not work on ingots of this shape (flat top). Even with a 4# hammer it took forever and one nearly disastrous blow to the off hand with same to break these two into shorter lengths. I definitely will not buy any more of these.
    You can cut those using various types of saws. Even a corse tooth hack saw. If they sell for a bargin I wouldn't let having to cut them deter me from buying them.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think he had but a few ingots using this mold. When I saw them I thought they may be more difficult to handle but figured I would try them. I am just saying that if I do go back for more in the future I will make it a point to get the other style. I have a reciprocating saw with a 6 or 8 tpi blade but the teeth get clogged up too fast. I would prefer the hammer and chisel over a hack saw. Too lazy for that.

Boolit Buddy
    Of course I have the "type 2" ingots, (flat top). Ohhh well, will just have to put the sawzall to work.

Thanks for the update.

Boolit Master
    If you cut them half way through with a hand saw, the teeth will not clog and then support the ends and break the ingot with a large hammer. This is not a difficult project.

Boolit Buddy
    I just have one flat top left. I will leave that one for last (maybe the estate sale) and stick with the hammer and chisel method for the others. That has worked well for me. The sawzall is what I was calling the reciprocating saw. It works but even with a coarse blade it will clog up in short order.

Boolit Master

I'd ease them into the smelting pot and recast in my preferred ingot size. I don't get up to VA much but PM me if any needs to be saved from the scrapyard.

Boolit Buddy
    I already did that with one of the other ingots that I had broken up into sections. I did that in a separate small pot so as not to mix it with anything else. Wish I had done this last flat top instead.

Don't worry, no lead leaves here for the scrap yard until I do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190830_195655 small.jpg