MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseradish... recipes ot make it

Moderator Emeritus

Horseradish... recipes ot make it

While my standard salt and white vinegar makes good horseradish I am open to other recipes... needs to be something that will freeze because I make it in 1/2 pint jars and freeze it(keeps it hotter) for up to a year(usually run out before the year is up).

My horseradish plants are 3' tall this year so I am expecting a bumper crop of roots!

Boolit Master
    I have a very old recipe, but I am not sure where it is. I will look for it & if I find it, I will share it here.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I would just love to find some root to plant. I can't seem to find it in Florida. I don't know how well it would grow here but the worst I could do is kill it.

Boolit Master

Just a question, but why not use the traditional recipe, freeze it, and then when you get it out to use it, add other ingredients to make various kinds of sauces? Sour cream, creamed beets, mayonaise, etc. Probably a ton of other things you could add to a good horseradish.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Good horseradish, no such thing! I love hot stuff and do can an assortment of hot stuff. Like you, I try to maintain heat while preserved. I have found that the best thing to do is single source can with salt and vinegar and add things after opening.

Boolit Master

"The key to making horseradish hot, and I mean HOT, people, is when to finish it off with the next ingredient — vinegar. Vinegar stabilizes the flavor and when you add it, will affect the spicy outcome. If you add the vinegar too soon, the horseradish will be milder in flavor."

Courtesy of Gardeningknowhow.com

There's a ton of recipes on line including "horseradish.org".
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    I love horseradish on boiled eggs, but the only thing I know about making it is that you can only dig the roots in a month with an "R" in it.
    Heard that from an old timer neighbor.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    "The key to making horseradish hot, and I mean HOT, people, is when to finish it off with the next ingredient — vinegar. Vinegar stabilizes the flavor and when you add it, will affect the spicy outcome. If you add the vinegar too soon, the horseradish will be milder in flavor."

Thanks! Added to my food bookmarks!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I love horseradish on boiled eggs, but the only thing I know about making it is that you can only dig the roots in a month with an "R" in it.
    Heard that from an old timer neighbor.
    I dig late Sept early Oct usually...some cool weather seems to make it hotter.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I would just love to find some root to plant. I can't seem to find it in Florida. I don't know how well it would grow here but the worst I could do is kill it.
    Early next year order from these guys http://www.territorialseed.com/produ...seradish-roots no clue if it will grow there... I always associated it with a cooler climate...

Boolit Master

Thank you Mary B. Bookmarked and saved for later use. I have been able to grow a few things that aren't supposed to grow here and also been unsuccessful with a few others. It's worth a try.

I grind my horseradish in a meat grinder, put it in zip lock bags and then add vinegar. I'll put about 10 of the small bags in a gallon sized zip lock bag and put in the freezer. I've found they hold their flavor/heat for a year of better.

I grind usually in late October or November. I did try grinding some in the middle of the summer when a small patch got in the way of a new out building but it didn't turn out well. It had a good horseradish flavor but absolutely no heat at all.

Denny

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post

Yep and if it isn't hot enough drain, rinse and regrind finer then increase the wait time to add vinegar.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I love horseradish! Been growing it for many years. I remember the first year I grew it .I dug and cleaned my roots and grabbed the small food processor. I cut it into small pieces. And proceeded to grind it up well it was a chilly rainy day and the house was all shut up. I am in the kitchen grinding away when I hear the wife and kids all screaming at me to STOP! I was fumagating everyone out of the he house lol after that I did it outside

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I did that to a friend. I was grinding it with the shredder blade on the food processor when he walked in the kitchen. I thought he was going to die the way he started coughing and whining LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Good horseradish, no such thing!
    Huh? Sorry; I don’t understand that. Fresh seafood demands good horseradish. “I got a Gulf Coast tongue from way down South, It sits in the cheek of my Gulf Coastal mouth.”

Tried to grow horseradish in New Mexico. Got some beautiful greenery. The cabbage butterfly caterpillars were better at eating than I was at growing it.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I did that to a friend. I was grinding it with the shredder blade on the food processor when he walked in the kitchen. I thought he was going to die the way he started coughing and whining LOL
    It will fill the house in a hurry

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Grocery stores have horseradish roots you can plant and will produce and reproduce quite well. Don't plant them in an area where they may get hit with a rototiller or disc. Spreading the root throughout the rest of your garden. Don't ask me how I know this. Roundup is not the best way to kill it, diesel fuel was the only way to kill it. Even at that it took 3-4 years.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

Why mine got planted out in the back end of the yard where it can spread all it wants!

I have a place on my land that I grow it and had one plant show up where I had not ever planted. I will dig that one and some of the main bed to use and keep it in the same area I been have it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast