MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good meat grinder suggestions

Boolit Buddy

Good meat grinder suggestions

I'm looking at a LEM .75 HP meat grinder. I only grind about 10-15 lbs of meat approx 4 times a year. Any experience with the LEM or another meat grinder?

Boolit Master

if you have a kitchen aid mixer, get the grinder attachment, it will do that amount no problem.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Wife and I bought one at Cabelas to make sausage. Not expensive, easy to use and works fine. I wouldn't want to do a few hundred pounds a year with it but for
    10lbs at a time it will work great
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    It will take longer to clean up after 10#'s of meat than it will take to grind the meat. I have one and as fast as you can drop the meat in the tube it will come out of the other end. Second grind will also go faster than what you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    if you have a kitchen aid mixer, get the grinder attachment, it will do that amount no problem.
    Another vote for the kitchen aid accessory.

I have been using a Waring grinder (I think it is a MG105) for about 10 years with similar usage and it is holding up well, came with three grinding plates and is easy to clean. The cutter is still sharp after all the years.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Another vote for the kitchen aid accessory.
    I'll make that a third....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator Emeritus

Northern Tool $99 on sale grinder. All metal gears, I make breakfast and italian sausage in 10 pound batches and no problem grinding 20 pounds of meat in a half hour.

Boolit Master
    I have a LEM. Do not remember the size. Either 1/2 or 3/4 HP. Had it for about 8-10 years.

I grind way more than you predict you will grind in the OP.

Lots more.

I think you would be just fine with that size for what you expect to do as per the OP & even more.
    ( You may be surprised that you use it more than you think after getting one, just like I did. I even started making my own sausage after getting it, as using a hand grinder was what kept me from doing much of it before.)

G'Luck! on whatever ya decide to do.

And... Semper Fi !
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Don't push the meat in with your fingers? This suggestion has proved invaluable to me over the years!

USMC 77, USRA 79

i have both the kitchen aide, and a real grinder cuz I do a lot of meat. the key to any grinder are the knives and the disks. any of the suggestions above will work. learn to take care of your knives and such and you will be pretty happy with any suggestion above. even the best money can buy grinder will make you wanna take a sledge hammer to it if you dont know how to maintain...

take a peek at this thread.. i go into more details here..

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Bacon-Burgers

hope this helps..

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy

I have the commercial Kitchen Aid mixer, and the motor gets hot when I use it to grind meat. That is why I don't recommend it, and I am getting a dedicated grinder - to use the mixer for mixing, only.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    I'm looking at a LEM .75 HP meat grinder. I only grind about 10-15 lbs of meat approx 4 times a year. Any experience with the LEM or another meat grinder?
    I wouldn't go any smaller. We do 3-4 deer a year using a .75 hp grinder and now wish we had a grinder with a more powerful motor. The coarse grind is easy, its the second fine grind that takes the time. Having the meat chilled to the point it is half frozen helps immensely.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

I have owned several grinders over the years. I used my Kitchenaid a fair amount grinding occasional deer parts and a pork butt or two. I had the same issue with the motor getting rather warm. Can't be good for the mixer.

Decided to buy a dedicated grinder that would fill the bill.

I bought a LEM Big Bite 3/4 HP #12. I have ground many pounds of pork and beef sausage. Four or five deer a year have disappeared into the Big Bite's mouth.

JBinMN is correct. Once you have a good grinder, you will grind more.

Pipefitter is correct. Your cleanup time will be longer than grind time. Not because it is hard to clean, because grinding is so fast.

Snowwolfe is correct. Semi frozen meat and frozen grinder parts are your friend. Warm meat does not grind it extrudes.

My son bought the cuber/jerky cutter attachment and we have discovered cubed pork loin in milk gravy. I think he bought it because he knows when I die the grinder will still be working. Five year warranty, US company, been around awhile and steel gears.

The #12 will take most if not all accessories. Dang, I should get a commission.

Last edited by 762 shooter; 08-27-2019 at 06:55 AM.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned

ive got a Weston #32 and its an animal. Its not something a small guy would want because it probably weights near a 100lbs. Before the I had a lem #12 and for what you are doing its all you need. For that light of use id even look at one of the gander mountain/cabellas plastic cased #12s. It was my first grinder and dad still uses it. Big advantage to the bigger ones for a home guy is second grind for sausage. Bigger grinders are just so much easier to do that in. But for 10 lbs of meat id even consider a hand crank grinder.

Boolit Master

I don't grind the good stuff, I grind the sniewy stuff nobody wants to eat. We stripped gears (cast zinc?) out of the kitchenaid. When it did work, we had to stop frequently to clean the sinew out. We had to really trim the meat carefully to keep it running. Our LEM #5 eats anything I give it, even warm. It will bog a bit if you over do it, but once you find its pace, it will really crank it out. I ground two big hog hams (around 30-40 lbs total) in probably 10-15 minutes of total grind time last week. Chunking the meat up took longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I don't grind the good stuff, I grind the sniewy stuff nobody wants to eat. We stripped gears (cast zinc?) out of the kitchenaid. When it did work, we had to stop frequently to clean the sinew out. We had to really trim the meat carefully to keep it running. Our LEM #5 eats anything I give it, even warm. It will bog a bit if you over do it, but once you find its pace, it will really crank it out. I ground two big hog hams (around 30-40 lbs total) in probably 10-15 minutes of total grind time last week. Chunking the meat up took longer.
    This is the key ! I've worked at a butcher shop for about the last 12 years processing deer and even the big old Hobart grinders we use bog and clog if there's a lot of fat and seniew or tendon or the meat is cut to large . Trim off everything that ain't red meat best you can and cube it up well and make sure your blade is snug up against your plate
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I would save the Kitchen Aid for making bread dough. I have a pro and it will smoke just grinding 10# or less of meat for snack sticks.
    I ended up getting a Chard Heavy Duty #12 from Farm&Fleet and it will make hamburger out of anything in fine shape.
    If you just grind up left overs now and then for sandwich spread a hand crank grinder will do the job in fine shape.

USMC 77, USRA 79

take care of your knives!!!!! that is what keeps the sinue from clogging up.. you have to actually CUT the sinue, not squish...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    I have the commercial Kitchen Aid mixer, and the motor gets hot when I use it to grind meat. That is why I don't recommend it, and I am getting a dedicated grinder - to use the mixer for mixing, only.
    I would stay shy away from the kitchen aid as well...I burnt up one kitchenaid grinding and have to plans to make that mistake again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast