Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Tell me about mould handles............

Boolit Buddy

Tell me about mould handles............

I have read what I can find but it is not very definitive.

I know there are many combination/options so I want to limit the options to NOE and SAECO moulds.

I have a NOE four cavity aluminum and I am looking at a SAECO 4 cavity as well.

I don't have huge hands so bigger is not better in this case.

Data indicates the Lee 6 cavity mould handles will work, "some modifying" is required for the SAECO moulds and there are occasional problems with the wooden handles coming off which doesn't seem to be that difficult to overcome.

Prices are all over the place from $15 - $80. Sheesh

Thanks in advance

Banned
    The Lee 6 cavity (commercial) mold handles work for a lot of different mold manufacturers ( some with a little modification) I believe there is a thread on here about what handles fit what molds.

Before I buy anything I spend some time researching prices [don't forget to figure in shipping] Amazon doesn't always have the lowest prices.

Lee Precision Commercial Mold Handles Price with shipping:
    Amazon $17.98
    Midway $19.98
    natchez $22+
    fsreloading $20.99
    trackofthewolf $20.94
    Ebay $19.91
    Cabelas $19.99
    Brownells $18.94
    Last edited by Conditor22; 08-27-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Boolit Master

I have several NOE moulds and have used Lee handles for them for a few years. The other day I picked up a set of real NOE handles... there is a big difference! Saeco handles to me seem to be another story all together. I have a set of RCBS that are modified to Saeco, but then stink on an RCBS mould. I have been able to find used Saeco handles for all of my mould needs, I have 2C, 3C and 4C moulds from them. The Saeco handles are big, my hands are not big so it does take some extra work.

Boolit Master
    I use lee 6 cavity handles on both NOE & Saeco molds , you need to enlarge the hole to use lee 6 cavity handles on the saeco molds . I use a chain saw file to open up the hole a little for the saeco pins , but the NOE molds fit fine .
    The saeco handles are much more durable than the lee , and you pay for the quality of materials . Don't let the wood part of the handles working loose bother you just glue them in to start with .

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    . Don't let the wood part of the handles working loose bother you just glue them in to start with .
    I noticed while ago when my Lee's handles wood part dropped there was all ready
    drilled hole in metal part on hadle... Like someone was forget to put some sort bolt or rivet nut on it. So i did it my self.

Banned
    I use SAECO handles with SAECO molds and slightly modify the handles to work with RCBS mold blocks too. A few minutes with a file and they work fine with both.

I prefer the SAECO handles for their hinge design and larger wooden handles.

Mold handles are not complicated and it's easy to start over-thinking this. They are basically a big pair of pliers with wooden handles.

The less expensive types use two pieces of flat stock stamped into the appropriate shape with a simple bolt acting as the hinge. The metal sections are simply mirror images of each other. This is the pattern used by Lee and RCBS and is more than adequate. It is a simple, serviceable design. It ain't rocket science folks.

The SAECO, Old Lyman and others use cast steel ends with a bit more sophisticated hinge design. The SAECO hinge employees a socket and a cone shaped bolt. I think it's a nicer design but again, this isn't rocket science.

Handles are a personal preference but I find the SAECO's a bit more comfortable, YMMV.

Some folks drill a hole through the ferrule at the end of the handle and drive a roll pin through the ferrule/wood/metal end of the flat type hinges (RCBS style) handles to prevent the wooden handles from separating from the hinge section.

Because I often waste time when I have real work to do .........I have cleaned up the hinges on mold handles when I should be doing something more productive.
    On the flat RCBS style hinges I have disassembled the hinge, clamped one side in a vise and used a flat file to dress the hinge perfectly flat. I repeat that process on the other half and polish the surfaces with a flat stone before applying grease and re-assembling. As a result of that wasted time, I have some of the best operating mold handles on the planet .

(Cue up "Too much time on my hands" by Styx)
    I've done the same process on the SAECO/Lyman style handles with valve grinding compound and precisely fitted the hinge.

Good Luck !