RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So this is what we have been reduced to?

A couple of years back I was asked if I wanted some 8 inch lead pipe. It was a sewerage pipe being replaced by the town council. Well I ended up with about 600lbs of pure lead BUT it was a crappy job from start to finish!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Last lead wheel weight I found on the road was about 2 years ago. I was in the city of White Plains NY parked at a meter near the Federal court building. I noticed the distinct shape of a WW clip flush in the pavement, I grabbed a screw driver & pair of dikes from my truck and dug it out of the black top. It wasn't much bigger than the clip 3/8-1/2oz. I often look along the curb while stopped at red lights, I never see any WW. My buddy had a WW find him too bad it was steel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    I guess next April 1st I should just take a bunch of zinc wheel weighs and leave them at random spots on the road?
    That would be mean!

Boolit Grand Master

In the spirit of this thread a buddy and I made a run into town for beer today and found 11 weights! They went from 3/4oz to 2 truck weights that were 10 or 12 oz each. And all 11 were lead! And yeah, we are adults! Retired adults, but adults!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    My buddy had a WW find him, too bad it was steel.

Ouch, bet that made him flinch.

Boolit Buddy
    That is one huge weight. Probably a full 10 on the pucker factor scale.

Boolit Grand Master

No doubt! Glad no one was seriously injured.

Boolit Master
    We are just saving the planet from lead pollution .just being green he he.

Boolit Master
    Some of my cousins did a rehab on the local hospital, including the xray area. Got pure lead walls stashed away.

I guess next April 1st I should just take a bunch of zinc wheel weighs and leave them at random spots on the road?

Teasing old people,,,,,,,,,,,That's just wrong.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

With what the scap yard pays for them... not like you would be losing anything. I took in about 35# and got a little over $2 for it. If I hadn't been going by there on other errands it wouldn't have covered the gas to drive there and back.

So dropping them as bait at really busy interesections near a side walk cafe might provide some entertainment or even a way to meet fellow casters! And lament the poliferation of Zn WW's over a cold adult beverage.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Pour the zinc into fishing weights.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was buying wheel weights I would take the junk to the scrap yard just to have a proper place to dispose of it. It never was a financial issue. Current price here is 4.5 cents per pound. I was surprised to see what they pay for brass cases. There are a couple of guys that shoot AR rifles (a lot) at my range and never pick up brass. Added to other missile anus brass pickup I can fill a 5 gallon bucket about once a month. At 90 cents a pound that is about $50 toward the shooting budget.

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    that is about $50 toward the shooting budget.
    A old buddy used to get windfall money like that and say, "Now I got more money for gunpowder and Whiskey".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

In the field of social work we talk a lot about Activities of Daily Living, and skill development. I consider picking up unattended wheel weights to be both.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I get 15 cents a pound for zink and steel wheel weights and $1.25 for brass cases ( I only scrap the ones I can’t reload anymore. That goes without saying) from the local scrap yard.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I was out riding my bicycle this past weekend. I took a short-cut through a parking lot when I spied this wheel weight that was about 4” long by, easy, 3/4” wide! This thing had to weight a pound! I jumped off the bike, letting it crash into some bushes, ran back and grabbed it! Only to find a ZN on it! It was ZINK! Talk about disappointment! I was so Mad! Kinda like unwrapping a birthday present and finding a rock inside.
    I was riding my bicycle home from work today. I saw a 4" cast iron pipe joint laying in the street next to a plumbers van. I stopped and asked the plumber about the lead in the joint. He said that he had stopped making downrigger balls because he had so many, and didn't need any more. He smiled, picked up a 3 pound hammer, busted up the joint, handed me the lead, and told me to have fun shooting.

JM

Boolit Master
    I guess it's true, there's still lead out there and some times for free. Also seems like there are more shooters, or at least like minded folks, than some might think.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    I was riding my bicycle home from work today. I saw a 4" cast iron pipe joint laying in the street next to a plumbers van. I stopped and asked the plumber about the lead in the joint. He said that he had stopped making downrigger balls because he had so many, and didn't need any more. He smiled, picked up a 3 pound hammer, busted up the joint, handed me the lead, and told me to have fun shooting.

JM
    Some times, "enablers" are just the folks you want to run in to.

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Not much if any to be found around here in the roads past couple years like one used to see, still carry a telescoping magnet in both trucks just in case. A while back sitting at an intersection wife goes "you don't see it"? I said yes but square flat ends, remember steel! I guess she quit paying close attention a decade or two ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast